Texas Fishing Forum

Shotgun starts post

Posted By: spacejunkie

Shotgun starts post - 12/17/17 10:49 PM

brings up memories. How many remember them from the 70"s? Some even actually used a shotgun. I remember one on Lake Ouachita out of Mountain Harbor with over 200 boats in it. I used the "cut" to go upriver and beat all those who chose to go around the long woody point. Even though it was a no wake zone I used I was first up the river.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Shotgun starts post - 12/18/17 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: spacejunkie
brings up memories. How many remember them from the 70"s? Some even actually used a shotgun. I remember one on Lake Ouachita out of Mountain Harbor with over 200 boats in it. I used the "cut" to go upriver and beat all those who chose to go around the long woody point. Even though it was a no wake zone I used I was first up the river.

I'll be the first to say this

But you should have been dq'ed from the tournament

And especially for doing it knowingly
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Shotgun starts post - 12/18/17 01:11 AM

Nothing is illegal until you get caught
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Shotgun starts post - 12/18/17 01:30 AM

Nothing illegal about it. I observed the no wake rules I just went a different way than others ignored.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Shotgun starts post - 12/18/17 02:23 AM

I turn 62 in march, I remember shotgun starts. Most of us thought it was a boat race and we got fish after it was over. I raced motocross until I got to big, I'd get in there and mix it up with the best of them.

Kevlar hull 270 Hydrosport, jackplate, 150 Evinrude punched 30 over. Michigan Wheel prop worked by Mike Hood. Roostertail magazine was my favorite publication.!!!!!

They used to shoot a flare to start the race, I mean tournament, state park cove lake Corpus Christi, we called it lake Mathis back then, It was wild some times. Some of the guys even wore motorcycle helmets and it wouldn't even be cold. Not as wild on Falcon, bigger coves, spread out more not as bunched up.

Tournaments were a lot more fun back then. No social media, just flashers and paper graphs.

Re: Shotgun starts post - 12/18/17 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
Originally Posted By: spacejunkie

I'll be the first to say this

But you should have been dq'ed from the tournament

And especially for doing it knowingly

We weren't as politically correct or as sensitive back then. If anybody had a real big problem back then, you took care of it ever how you needed to to.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Shotgun starts post - 12/18/17 02:37 AM

i have a team tournament partner that forgets what we are out there for sometimes. I don't know how many times we've had to backtrack to our intended starting spot because he gets in a boat race and drives right past it lol

Re: Shotgun starts post - 12/18/17 03:00 AM

Even with the one at a time starts in the BFL it gets crowded. Some boats are slower than others get to on plane.
Posted By: LuvWater

Re: Shotgun starts post - 12/18/17 11:04 PM

Loved them back in the day. Very exciting but our field then was about 40 boats...100, that would be scary.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Shotgun starts post - 12/19/17 03:13 PM

Nothing wrong with a boat race to get the day started. Sadly, sometimes its the most exciting part of the day
Posted By: buda13

Re: Shotgun starts post - 12/19/17 03:19 PM

Every Wed night on Lake Worth from time change in the spring till September we do a shotgun start at 6pm. Starts to get fun when you have 20+ boats.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Shotgun starts post - 12/19/17 03:35 PM

Some of my best memories are takeoff at daylight on Amistad and Elephant Butte
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Shotgun starts post - 12/19/17 05:45 PM

Has anyone ever seen 2 boats hit during a shotgun start? Just wondering. I have not been in many shotgun start but it can get crazy.

Re: Shotgun starts post - 12/19/17 07:16 PM

Never did. I have seen more close calls fishing BFLs on Rayburn than any of the shotgun starts.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Shotgun starts post - 12/19/17 07:33 PM

Billy you are right about the BFL's coming out of Umphrey. Some of them slow to plane boats need to get in the right lane! I've rode as a co for two years, had some great boaters, but I am driving this year. Gotta take it easy on the ole back.
Posted By: LearnedHat

Re: Shotgun starts post - 12/19/17 07:39 PM

That seems to go against everything I like about fishing - fast, loud, and crowded.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Shotgun starts post - 12/20/17 02:20 AM

Either flight them out a boat at a time or be on starting spot and fish at certain time, too dangerous on shot gun starts. fish
Posted By: Joey J.

Re: Shotgun starts post - 12/20/17 02:41 AM

I learned a long time ago...shot gun starts aren't worth the danger. The fish will still be there. Just don't fish the community holes. Find spots that will produce and require effort
Posted By: MMosher

Re: Shotgun starts post - 12/20/17 01:34 PM

Oh I remember them. The good ol days.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum