Texas Fishing Forum

Fayette County

Posted By: Freecobasser

Fayette County - 12/13/17 12:00 AM

Getting to go to Fayette County next week.
Never been.
Is it easy to get around on.? Where’s the best place to put in?
Also any fishing tips would be appreciated

Thanks!
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Fayette County - 12/13/17 01:59 AM

Oak Thicket is my choice. Ramps will be slick. Check the water level, there are a few stumps here and there. I've not looked lately but there are several guys who post reports regularly.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Fayette County - 12/13/17 02:06 AM

FCL is a great lake. There are some major hazards marked by buoys. Obey them. There will be areas on the east side that have large amounts of trees. Some of the points on the west side are very shallow.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Fayette County - 12/13/17 03:00 PM

Very easy to run.
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Fayette County - 12/13/17 03:17 PM

My best days on Fayette have come by using PB&J jigs, Bold Bluegill Shakey heads & Watermelon red plastics. Some places produce with squarebills and A-rigs as well. The east side of the lake in timber have usually been the best. Fayette is a small lake and pretty easy to figure them out. It will also get rough really quick when the wind blows. Last tourney I fished there I had 17.65 the first day and just shy of 16 lbs the second day. It is a slot lake so remember don't get caught with slot fish in your livewell.
Posted By: Freecobasser

Re: Fayette County - 12/13/17 08:15 PM

Thanks, guys.
Posted By: Msing48

Re: Fayette County - 12/16/17 12:57 PM

I had a decent trip to Fayette earlier this week.

https://youtu.be/e6y2YqTgVF0
Posted By: 361V

Re: Fayette County - 12/16/17 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Msing48

First post or first time on? welcome
Posted By: Msing48

Re: Fayette County - 12/16/17 01:46 PM

Recently on and 1st post. Great forum!
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Fayette County - 12/16/17 01:52 PM

Beware of the truck eating buzzards especially at the Park Prarie ramp. They roost in the trees in the first cove to the south. They will eat anything rubber. It supposed to be because some glue has animal products in it. They ate the wind shield wipers, trim around the sun roof, seal to the bed cover and stickers off the back window of my truck about 7 years ago. Since I have probably been 10 times and parked at the Oak Thicket ramp without issue.

Fishing can be real good at times. You can have 100+ fish days when you hit it right. Fish will group up real good at times. Carolina Rig and small bait like French fry, rattlesnake or fluke has accounted for the best days out there.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Fayette County - 12/16/17 02:28 PM

There are a few spots you can drop your lower unit on. Go wide of points and idle up near trees. If you go even one time with someone who knows the lake you'll be good. Otherwise just be careful and you'll be fine. The lake gets pressured to the point of abuse on weekends December-March.
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: Fayette County - 12/17/17 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Msing48

Lake looked still. No wind on Fayette usually equals a tougher bite. I've had days in that exact cove where I've caught 70+ fish without lifting the TM. When you hit it just right, you can usually pull multiples off the same tree. I had a trip out there a few years ago where my best was 12 fish in 12 casts off that large tree all the way in.

Did you fish the trees out on the outside point leading in? That's where I usually find the bigger bite knocking DD22's into everything I can hit.

For what it's worth, the last few trips I've gone the afternoon into evening bite has been much better than the morning to afternoon bite. I usually don't find a good reed bite until about 2hrs before sun down. You can usually burn blades, sqbills and tx-rigs on the wind blown reed lines for a few hours at dusk.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum