Texas Fishing Forum

Throw in your 2 cents

Posted By: All Boat, No Bass

Throw in your 2 cents - 12/12/17 03:35 PM

So I am getting back into fishing, lurked on the forum mainly in boats 4 sale. Haven't fished since 2003 when
I sold boat (89 Cajun 20F/S)/ gear. Started collecting gear in Sept., going to pick up boat today. Please inform
me of the hell I am in for. Looking for Best Practices like unloading boat, tying to dock and going to talk with friends
in parking lot and wiping down boat on ramp after use. Solution for transporting rods - 8" x 8' pvc best idea? I have F-150 with 5x5 bed.
Powerwash after use to limit Zebra mussels?
Feel free to suggest shoulda got a Ranger,Legend,Phoenix,BassCat,OptiMax,Etec,PowerPoles,Motorguide..............
Now if this was the OrangeBloods website I would post some NSFW pics as payment, this place seems much more
family oriented. I will be back on later today, any advice appreciated, I know there is a ton of stuff that hasn't crossed my mind.
Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/12/17 03:47 PM

Advise #1, stay off OrangeBloods if you prefer accurate information.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/12/17 04:13 PM

My best tip is to never fail to wipe that boat down every time it comes out of the water.
- Carry a rolled up chamois in the tube.
- Carry a Large spray bottle with distilled water and one cup of vinegar in it.
- Carry a gallon of distilled water to rinse out the chamois when finished wipping down the boat.
- Roll it up tight and back in tube. It will still be wet and ready to go for the next trip.
- Boat stays really nice for a full year.
- Detail and wax once each year.
Posted By: Matt1212

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/12/17 04:18 PM

know this is not what you asked for but that is one pretty boat. My favorite colors. congrats
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/12/17 04:27 PM

Your first post sounds like your gonna fit in great. WAWI is looking for a teammate to launch his boat. He's the local stick....he can get you headed in the right direction.....he will be along shortly to advise.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/12/17 04:35 PM

welcome
Beautiful boat, You should order the Yamaha Rub Rail.
Posted By: JC Skeeter

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/12/17 04:41 PM

I am on orangebloods as well and just ordered a new FX21 LE skeeter. So first of all, great choice lol. This place is much easier to deal with and everyone is typically able to help unless you ask for fishing help, then they all act like they have never fished before and don't know of any spots.

Honestly, just use common sense most of the time. If early launching, turn lights off so you don't blind others. Get your boat ready in the launch lane before getting to the ramp. Always a good practice to pull up next to another boat after the day is over and lie about what took place on the water that day.

Where do you fish, or plan to fish by the way?
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/12/17 05:29 PM

Remember to put the plug in before launching... Dan
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/12/17 05:34 PM

If you need somebody to show you how to drive that thing, just holler....I'm free most any day. Gorgeous boat BTW!
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/12/17 06:30 PM

Inquiring minds what to know if you’re going to float the boat when launching alone?
Nice boat. I keep my rods in the boat, no pvc necessary.
Posted By: RANDYSGLIDE

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/12/17 06:42 PM

How do you turn lights off when launching I have tried different things but no luck turning by them off
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/12/17 07:55 PM

I prefer a boat with a scratch or 2 and blood stains. Just feels fishy
Posted By: skeeterK

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/12/17 08:05 PM

Congrats! and very nice boat right there.

You should immediately start asking the fine people here on TFF where's the best place to buy water dogs near Lake Fork and share your opinion of where the best BBQ can be found.

Asking for fishing spots on Lake Conroe usually work as well.
Posted By: Fishingfox

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/12/17 08:10 PM

Beautiful boat! Remember to use Ring-Free in that SHO religiously. On a Ford just dial back the light knob until you have parking lights only. That boat should take almost any water well as long as you don't get stupid. Good luck out there!
Posted By: D Egge

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/12/17 10:46 PM

I can show you how to not catch em.... just don't take up the middle of a two lane ramp when backing it in...and again..headlights
Nice boat btw!!!!
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/12/17 10:54 PM

First off welcome to the Forum. welcome

Usually newbie's want tips for fishing Fork or Rayburn then tips for buying the best rod and reels. Next tips on how to use their graphs, tips for the best gas, oil and battery's. What lures work best on your home lake, where to launch, how to run the lake and what the red and white buoys are for. Another common question is how much air pressure for your trailer tires, where to buy the numbers for your boat and do I have to have my trailer inspected. Hope this helps and you can start anytime with your questions but don't ask me anything cause I don't know [censored] about anything. thumb
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/12/17 11:09 PM

What lakes are you going to be fishing, I'm usually fishing on Fridays and would be happy to ride with you if your in the dfw to give 6ou some pointers at the ramp and running the boat. I might even know a spot or 2 to catch some fish.

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/13/17 12:11 AM

Thanks Donald, I will follow that advice out of the ramp area

So I just got back, everything went pretty much as planned signed for storage( 11 x 30), picked up boat, except
took 40 minutes to get boat into storage unit-- need to remove headrests from back seat, maybe line
up further out from unit, practice practice. Then must not of been paying attention when we talked about
detaching the boat, took a few minutes to figure out there is a slide switch on top of trailer release - a WTF moment.

So now I am waiting for karma to catch up with me

Dealer recommended to stay away from Stabil, Startron, use Yamaha or Mercury products for fuel
I will probably leave some rods in boat, when transporting I probably would leave reels on rods
kind of a hassle to put reels on rod and rerig early in morning when picking up boat - for you youngsters
readers aren't all they are cracked up to be, losing close up vision may be one of the worst things of aging, oh there
are many other things, it just slows you down.

Thanks every one for your help, I just tend to overthink things to prepare myself for unexpected outcomes.

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/13/17 12:18 AM

I am down in the San Antonio area, my home lakes will be Canyon Lake( mussels), LBJ, Inks, maybe a little Travis,
Choke Canyon on occasion. Would do Calaveras/Braunig but currently no 4WD and those ramps are slick with algae.
Tomorrow is maiden solo voyage on Canyon, now gotta study those Lowrance, Hummingbird manuals.

Again thanks every one
Posted By: jcwebb70

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/13/17 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Chris_K
Inquiring minds what to know if you’re going to float the boat when launching alone?
Nice boat. I keep my rods in the boat, no pvc necessary.

roflmao

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/13/17 12:25 AM

Best BBQ-- most would say Franklin's
me - I like place you don't have to wait in long line Riverside BBQ Boerne, Tx( hole in the wall)
Posted By: jcwebb70

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/13/17 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: All Boat, No Bass
Thanks Donald, I will follow that advice out of the ramp area

So I just got back, everything went pretty much as planned signed for storage( 11 x 30), picked up boat, except
took 40 minutes to get boat into storage unit-- need to remove headrests from back seat, maybe line
up further out from unit, practice practice. Then must not of been paying attention when we talked about
detaching the boat, took a few minutes to figure out there is a slide switch on top of trailer release - a WTF moment.

So now I am waiting for karma to catch up with me

Dealer recommended to stay away from Stabil, Startron, use Yamaha or Mercury products for fuel
I will probably leave some rods in boat, when transporting I probably would leave reels on rods
kind of a hassle to put reels on rod and rerig early in morning when picking up boat - for you youngsters
readers aren't all they are cracked up to be, losing close up vision may be one of the worst things of aging, oh there
are many other things, it just slows you down.

Thanks every one for your help, I just tend to overthink things to prepare myself for unexpected outcomes.

Rod Sox, its a pain to slide them on but way less grief when pulling them out.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/13/17 02:02 AM

me - I like place you don't have to wait in long line Riverside BBQ Boerne, Tx( hole in the wall)

You live in Boerne or San Antonio? Good luck on Canyon and make sure to drain the livewells because of the zebra mussels. Beautiful Boat.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/13/17 03:32 AM

Welcome to the TFF. welcome fish

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/13/17 03:55 AM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout

You live in Boerne or San Antonio? Good luck on Canyon and make sure to drain the livewells because of the zebra mussels. Beautiful Boat.

I live in Helotes. Bought the boat in Boerne, always stop for BBQ when I get up there.
Sad that zebra mussels reached Canyon, will definitely change the ecosystem. Hopefully the white bass population can sustain itself.
Canyon has always been a tough place for me, so a challenge to figure out. I remember a old Honey Hole show where they went
after smallies in north corner of dam in December--and it is that time of year. Gotta have hope or be a glutton for punishment.

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/13/17 04:09 AM

Canyon is my kryptonite lake, I could drop dynamite in the lake and still not get a fish to show itself. Heck, even when the fishing was good I couldn’t figure out how to catch them. bang
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/13/17 04:48 AM

Don't forget the plug
Posted By: PhishWhisperer

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/13/17 05:10 AM

Just remember: NOTHING should happen fast while launching or loading!!!
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/13/17 09:01 AM

Just take your time and use common sense till ya get your feet under you.

Good luck and good fishing.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/13/17 01:27 PM

Fist off, Nice rig to be getting back into the game with. thumb

Second off, stop overthinking things. Just go fishing and have fun. cheers

Arrive at the lake after the early morning rush and take your time. Make a little note card to remind yourself of the basics, like drainplug, transom ties, etc.

If your boat storage is secure I would leave the rods & reels in the rod box. That's what I used to do when I kept it in a secure unit.
Posted By: dobbin

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/13/17 04:44 PM

On click of the emergency brake will turn the headlights of on a Chevy
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/13/17 05:00 PM

Get yourself a pattern. Go a specific direction around the boat to perform your tasks. I start on the starboard side, because I put my graphs on the bow then the cockpit: then... grab the life jacket hook to kill switch, starboard strap, starboard steering clip, raise motor for transom saver, port steering clip, stow all three, check plug, port strap, bow safety chain, put winch in reverse. Jump in the driver seat, line up and launch... Get bow strap as boarding the boat, start, beach or tie, pull away from ramp...
Posted By: Roller22

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/13/17 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
Get yourself a pattern. Go a specific direction around the boat to perform your tasks. Get bow strap as boarding the boat, start, beach or tie, pull away from ramp...

This is what I've always done. If someone fishes with you one day, don't let them do anything or it will throw your pattern off.

If you are out fishing and try to start your boat and it will crank but doesn't start, check the kill switch lanyard first.

Do as Donald Harper said about cleaning boat when pulling it out of the water. Great advice.

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/14/17 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: David Burton
Get yourself a pattern. Go a specific direction around the boat to perform your tasks. I start on the starboard side, because I put my graphs on the bow then the cockpit: then... grab the life jacket hook to kill switch, starboard strap, starboard steering clip, raise motor for transom saver, port steering clip, stow all three, check plug, port strap, bow safety chain, put winch in reverse. Jump in the driver seat, line up and launch... Get bow strap as boarding the boat, start, beach or tie, pull away from ramp...

Thanks David, I printed out a checklist to follow, nothing like routine
Maiden voyage should be tomorrow, if life doesn't get in the way.

Ken A - asked storage manager about any problems with break in / theft hadn't had any incidents in years
more out in the country than near city. So I will store rods on boat rather than transport back & forth.
Less effort too.

Again thanks every one
Posted By: Bilboinsa

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/14/17 12:57 PM

Welcome! And welcome to Canyon. Even if no fish are caught, every trip is gorgeous. I am out there at least once a week. I have a black pontoon and you will usually see me tied up with 4 poles mounted on all sides of my boat while I am cursing my bad luck (skill) while casting away....

Lots of guys like to go back up in Tom’s Creek, and don’t forget the fun upriver. Lake is down about 3’ though so watch for stumps.

I was also out on the 12th. Heading out again today. Oh, and those weekly TPW Fishing Reports are total BS....🤣

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/14/17 02:49 PM

Toms Creek is a stump haven now!

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/16/17 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Bilboinsa
Welcome! And welcome to Canyon. Even if no fish are caught, every trip is gorgeous. I am out there at least once a week. I have a black pontoon and you will usually see me tied up with 4 poles mounted on all sides of my boat while I am cursing my bad luck (skill) while casting away....

Lots of guys like to go back up in Tom’s Creek, and don’t forget the fun upriver. Lake is down about 3’ though so watch for stumps.

I was also out on the 12th. Heading out again today. Oh, and those weekly TPW Fishing Reports are total BS....🤣

Will keep my eye out, Launched at Crane's Mill ( found out Comal P. closed after driving out there ). Ramp not very steep, had to back
truck tires almost to water edge for launch. Was thinking what the hell did I forget?, but all was good. Motor started right up. Everything
took way longer than the plan, so didn't wet a hook. Learned handling,a little graphing then headed back. Light wind so no problems
docking, just rusty on trailer skills. did get boat into storage locker in less than 10 minutes so there is that. Then detailed and spray
waxed boat waiting for that 281S and 1604 traffic to die down. Met guy in locker next to me with stratos, fishes with Alamo club.
Good day all around, still waiting for karma.

Trailer tire recommendations? Goodyear vs Carlisle vs ?? current tires seem to wear on outside ( EZ loader Vault hubs)
Thinking take care of things before there is a problem.

thanks is advance

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/16/17 05:03 PM

Goodyear has a trailer tire that is made in America and I've read good things about them. All other trailer tires are made in China. If the recommended tire pressure is 65 lbs. those are the better tires. If your tires are wearing on the outside might indicate improper tire pressure. Tire pressure on trailer tires is very important as to tire wear. Recommended pressure is on the tires. Really nice boat you have and as time goes on you are really going to enjoy and appreciate it ( and catch lots of fish).

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/18/17 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Goodyear has a trailer tire that is made in America and I've read good things about them. All other trailer tires are made in China. If the recommended tire pressure is 65 lbs. those are the better tires. If your tires are wearing on the outside might indicate improper tire pressure. Tire pressure on trailer tires is very important as to tire wear. Recommended pressure is on the tires. Really nice boat you have and as time goes on you are really going to enjoy and appreciate it ( and catch lots of fish).

Thanks GIG'EM, wasn't sure if Goodyear was only made in USA trailer tire.
Goodyear is where I was leaning, discount tire has Endurance model ( 65lb) so I will get those and not have to worry when on the highway. Currently running
Goodyear,Carlisle,Trailer King,Premier(?), not something I paid to much attention to when inspecting boat - 4 tires check, has some tread check, spare check
now tell me about this lowrance,talon,fortrex........ ok I'll take it.

Re: Throw in your 2 cents - 12/18/17 02:29 AM

Goodyear Endurance are the tires I was referring to, only tire made in USA. Current tires not all the same brand eh ? Typically carry 55 lbs. air pressure and very important to maintain that pressure to keep even tire wear. Recommendations for the other three, I run Lowrance so naturally I'm partial to their products especially the touch screens with the Navionics chip.. Have nothing bad to say about the others. Don't recommend Talons, prefer Power Poles mainly for the way they operate and customer service is unequaled. Also prefer Minnkota which makes Fortrex which I have and zero problems.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum