Texas Fishing Forum

Go to technique of late?

Posted By: texasAUtiger

Go to technique of late? - 12/12/17 12:53 PM

What’s been your “go to” technique of late?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/12/17 12:55 PM

C rig
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/12/17 01:03 PM

Lipless Crankbait.

But now that the water temps are heading south of 55; that will change
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/12/17 01:38 PM

Really been working on finding a jig bite (I have next to 0% confidence in them) and have finally forced a few to bite, but when my confidence is shot again I move to the C-rig with a Bull worm and have just been killing them with that worm lately.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/12/17 01:47 PM

Crankbait
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/12/17 02:26 PM

This is a technique that has worked for me on all lakes and with your confidence baits. It is about finding fish that are moving up to feed.
- Do your mapping work at home.
- Look for contours in 10 to 15 ft of water that are extremely irregular.
- Irregular features are steep drops, rock piles, heavy brush setting on one side of a point, a gouge in a point, a underwater channel that slams against a point. All of which are different than the area before and after that feature on that contour.
- Already have Icons dropped on your depth finder map so you know where to cast to in order to target that feature.
- Drop a WayPoint at the beginning of your boat trail on the 20 ft contour so you are staying off the top of the fish.
- Drop a WayPoint at the end of the trail on that same contour. Highlight that contour line so you can follow that trail in and out around these irregular features.
- Having two fishermen in the boat is a big plus in catching bigger fish and developing a pattern.
- Man in front is glued to the chart keeping the boat off the fish and casting specific to the targeted irregular features in the 10 ft to 15 ft. range using all his confidence search baits.
- Man in the back of the boat is dragging the contour with a Crig. as the boat goes in and out on the contour. His rig crosses points, gouges and varies in depth from 10 ft to 30 ft. as the boat follows this trail.
- It is my experience that the man in the back will hook up with the big fish of the day.
- If fishing by yourself a decision has to be made. Do I want to target the smaller feeding fish up shallower and catch numbers or do I want to drag the outer edges of the irregular features for the one big bite?
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/12/17 02:38 PM

Wobble head
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/12/17 02:41 PM

Watching re-runs of MLF has been my go-to for the last couple of weeks. I haven't zeroed yet.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/12/17 08:37 PM

Had a jig in my hand a lot lately
Posted By: Slade

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/12/17 08:43 PM

Skunk
Posted By: LearnedHat

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/12/17 08:50 PM

I grew up fishing worms . . . . and then lizards, senkos, etc. (all the same stuff really except the Senkos are usually fished weightless and I fish the others with a weight). I have been trying to branch out: swimbaits (not the great big muthas though), spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, square bills, hard jerkbaits (I did catch a lot of fish in the 70s on a clear Rattlin' Rogue), jigs, drop shot, C-rig, lipless . . . . the problem is that I have confused myself thoroughly. I think I am going to tackle swimbaits (including underspin headed ones) and med/deep crankbaits and just fish those exclusively for awhile until I figure some [censored] out. Then I may go to jerkbaits and drop shot exclusively until I have a handle on how that world works.

The most important thing for me is to figure out how to mark fish in open water or search for them efficiently in different types of cover in different areas of the lake. I always have trouble figuring out have I not found the fish or are they here and want another color . . . or another presentation . . . . or a rattle or no rattle . . .

If it wasn't for wanting to learn to fish the wind, I might just sit back and T-rig all day like the good ol' days. Maybe drifting for catfish would be more my thing!
Posted By: 20lberorbust

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/12/17 09:42 PM

Weightless Senko is what I have probably caught my last 10 fish on. That's all I can catch with lately!

I'm really trying to have a jig tied on and get better at that.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/12/17 10:23 PM

“Go to” someplace not crowded and fish soft plastics suuuuuuper slooooow.
Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/12/17 10:27 PM

jerk bait
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/12/17 10:56 PM

C-rig, jig, square bill, t-rig.

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/12/17 11:04 PM

This is why I have been keeping the crankbait in my hand lately. It's hard to argue with the fish when they are eating it like this.

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/12/17 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

This is why I have been keeping the crankbait in my hand lately. It's hard to argue with the fish when they are eating it like this.

Where are you fishing with those bites?!?! I have caught most of my fish, usually good numbers, with a square but not a one of them have choked a plug like that. Not in the last 4 months. Good gracious.

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/12/17 11:27 PM

^^^ that was on Lewisville Saturday in our aba tournament. Actually caught them alot better 2 weeks ago.

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/13/17 12:25 AM

^^^ that was on Lewisville Saturday in our aba tournament. Actually caught them alot better 2 weeks ago.

Lol. I’ve been on Lewy a ton lately. Lawd help me! roflmao

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/13/17 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: i-Fish

Lol. I’ve been on Lewy a ton lately. Lawd help me! roflmao

Main lake rock stretches close to rock transitions from bolders to smaller rock caught all my fish the past couple weeks running the same pattern.

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/13/17 01:07 AM

Must be submerged. Thanks! I’ll be on the hunt! Most of the hard structure I fish is either shallow or 20+ deep with 3 exceptions that are mid-depth that I know of. I like Lewy but still have a lot to learn about it.

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/13/17 01:11 AM

You can see the transitions on the bank where I'm fishing, spend some time on Google earth. You can look at the lake 6-8 ft low and find some great areas. Just takes time to find them. The best quality I have found is in the 4-8ft range lately.

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/13/17 01:54 AM

You can see the transitions on the bank where I'm fishing, spend some time on Google earth. You can look at the lake 6-8 ft low and find some great areas. Just takes time to find them. The best quality I have found is in the 4-8ft range lately.

I feel dang foolish. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve used GE for Ray Roberts but not once for Lewy. Just now finding out that some of the areas I’m fishing have much more to offer that I’m not even touching. Hooking up the boat as we speak! banana
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/13/17 02:20 AM

The shakey head has been my best friend for the last month. Its getting better and better as the temp drops. I'm just doing short drags and letting it sit for a few seconds. I'm catching good numbers and size, caught an 8lber on Hubbard last week.

On the shakey head, I'm using trick worms, finesse worms, robo worms, baby ragetail thumpers, and baby brush hogs. I'm mostly fishing between 8ft and 15ft these days.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/13/17 02:25 AM

12 oz curls have been the ticket
Posted By: B.Byars

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/13/17 02:25 AM

jig and swim bait
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/13/17 02:56 AM

C-Rigged creature baits fished slow in 12'-16'

Weedless Wacky stick baits on edges of vegetation....4' or so where you can find it.

At least here in E.Tx
Posted By: bubbaque

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/13/17 03:38 AM

Anything that looks like a shad
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/13/17 03:48 AM

I have 2 patterns going on right now. a CB, like anyone could guess that, and a swim jig with a trailer on it. Both have been being bit pretty regularly. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Bass98

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/13/17 04:52 AM

Been catching them pretty good on a-rigs the last month and a half when I've had the time to go.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/13/17 12:07 PM

The deer stand! I always want to fish in the Fall and Winter, but i'm too busy hunting!
Posted By: TxSwimbaiter

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/13/17 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: B.Byars
jig and swim bait

This is what's been working for me.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/13/17 12:41 PM

tiling floors, kitchen backsplash, and showers.

caught some on a jerkbait on Texoma a couple weeks ago. that was fun. caught my PB smallmouth
Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Re: Go to technique of late? - 12/13/17 02:08 PM

A Small Finesse Jig a lot here lately.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum