Texas Fishing Forum

fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcon

Posted By: fivebites

fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcon - 12/11/17 10:08 PM

Hey guys, wife is taking a trip with her sisters and looks like I get a week at Falcon. I've fished there before but not by myself on the Mexican side. Any worries/issues? Areas to avoid?
Posted By: 04champ

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/11/17 10:14 PM

I don't see how a second person would save you from any of the HIGHLY UNLIKELY bad things that could happen to you over there
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/11/17 10:19 PM

I will go and watch your back. I can leave tomorrow.
Posted By: Golfer Bryan

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/11/17 10:45 PM

You will be fine as long as you are not smuggling drugs over there. Just be out of there before dark.
Good Luck
Posted By: WAWI

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/11/17 11:36 PM

What could possibly go wrong lol.
Posted By: criglizard

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/11/17 11:45 PM

You will love fishing the Mexico side, or any part of Falcon, by yourself. True peace and quiet within nature.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/12/17 12:44 AM

I have only been down there one time but can’t wait to go again
Posted By: Monte Coon

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/12/17 12:55 AM

I would have no problem going over there by myself you will be fine.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/12/17 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Monte Coon
+1
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/12/17 01:35 AM

When ya going ?

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/12/17 02:27 AM

Wife is checking on dates, but likely late Jan or early Feb. I would just think that if there were more than one person on a boat it would look a little less inviting to a someone. But hey...if they're gonna git ya there probably gonna git ya.

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/12/17 02:30 AM

FYI, Donald...went fishing with your buddy Mike in Orlando last week in his air boat. Very cool guy. Fishing wasn't great, but not his fault. That's just the way it goes sometimes. Probably caught 20 or so and biggest might have gone just over 3 pounds. Not exactly what I hoped for, but still threw him a hundo for a tip at days end. Mike's a good dude. Just didn't happen the day we were there.
Posted By: reinke

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/12/17 03:09 AM

Nope
Posted By: Tommar

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/12/17 03:24 AM

If you’re that worried I’ll join ya!

Seriously. I live on the lake at Government Cove.

In no way, shape or form do I claim to be a guide though. roflmao
Posted By: TX Strampion

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/12/17 05:59 AM

Don't bring a gun. It's a bad feeling to be 6 miles into Mexican waters with the trolling motor down when you realize you've forgotten to remove it.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/12/17 06:24 AM

Offer to go from Donald sounds excellent. Tommar also has a good offer. I'm like you. Feels safer with 2 , but if they're gonna git ya, they prolly would if there were 10 in the boat. Enjoy your Falcon trip. Yes , I'm jealous too. cheers
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/12/17 11:29 AM

I believe I would fish closer to the mouths of the creeks if I were by myself. I just wouldn't go way back up in the creeks. Never know....
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/12/17 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: TX Strampion
Don't bring a gun. It's a bad feeling to be 6 miles into Mexican waters with the trolling motor down when you realize you've forgotten to remove it.

Haha, the makings of an "international incident." I bet it's a bad feeling...
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/12/17 02:29 PM

Why take advise from people you don’t know?
If you don’t personally know someone who fishes down there then call and talk to the game wardens down there. They are very honest and helpful. I could give you advise but you don’t know me either. Good luck!
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/12/17 02:45 PM

Don't get out of your boat and step on Mexican soil for any reason. I don't know how our Boarder Patrol agents know you did but they do! They have a real stern questioning process they take you through at the ramp. ( just saying you had to do #2 wasn't the answer they were looking for)
Posted By: beartrap

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/12/17 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishingking
Don't get out of your boat and step on Mexican soil for any reason. I don't know how our Boarder Patrol agents know you did but they do! They have a real stern questioning process they take you through at the ramp. ( just saying you had to do #2 wasn't the answer they were looking for)

don't know for sure but would bet that blimp they have up in the air has cameras that watch everything that happens on that lake....
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/12/17 03:04 PM

just hang over the side and give them a show
Posted By: Jay Kendrick

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/12/17 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: 04champ
I don't see how a second person would save you from any of the HIGHLY UNLIKELY bad things that could happen to you over there

This.
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/12/17 08:09 PM

....Dang you guys are all over the board on this Falcon thing.....
I have been there a lot in the past 5 years; here's the deal:
1.) it doesn't matter if you are fishing alone or in a big group, if "they" want to stop and board you they will. Our group had it happen Dec 5th 2015. a boat full of armed men stop one of boats (with 3 men aboard)in a cove on the Mexican side up the Salanias. Black clothing didn't talk in English and they asked for their fishing license, once they see "a" fishing license, back on their boat they go and sped off. No search, but their guns were lowered and aimed. We assumed them to be Federales, but who knows. The thing is the boat was on the Mexican side "NEAR DARK".....wrong move.
other than this one time in 5 years I do not know of any other "incident" involving actual fishermen on Falcon.
BUT----
2.) why even go to the Mexican side if the fishing is as good or better on the US side. we have caught just as many and just as big on this side as the other side. Now having said that, it sure is fun to go over there in get tangled in those nets and have to cut them loose. Then you ARE LOOKING OVER YOUR SHOULDER, for the owner of those nets that will give you what for
3.) stop in at Falcon Lake Tackle and ask James for the info. Whether you know him or not, he will tell you--- if they are biting and where they are biting and what to throw. He certainly will not give a GPS co-ordinate but he will give you a cove or creek name.

Finally; just don't do anything stupid,,,,,,,
don't get out of your boat onto Mexican soil, don't run from a Mexican Police boat, don't "joke" with the Border Patrol or Game Wardens.
be sure to have both fishing licenses, US & Mexican, just in case you are across the international line out in open water or you do go into the Mexican Rivers & Coves, have yuour life jackets & most of all,,,,, DO NOT CARRY A GUN. AND don't be on the Mexican side or US side for that matter,,,, near dark thirty. DARK invites the bad guys out.......stay in the light.

GREAT place to fish & can be done so without any headaches if you just do it right.
Posted By: JBranham

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/12/17 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: flukeman83
1.) it doesn't matter if you are fishing alone or in a big group, if "they" want to stop and board you they will. Our group had it happen Dec 5th 2015. a boat full of armed men stop one of boats (with 3 men aboard)in a cove on the Mexican side up the Salanias. Black clothing didn't talk in English and they asked for their fishing license, once they see "a" fishing license, back on their boat they go and sped off. No search, but their guns were lowered and aimed. We assumed them to be Federales, but who knows. The thing is the boat was on the Mexican side "NEAR DARK".....wrong move.
other than this one time in 5 years I do not know of any other "incident" involving actual fishermen on Falcon.
BUT----
2.) why even go to the Mexican side if the fishing is as good or better on the US side. we have caught just as many and just as big on this side as the other side. Now having said that, it sure is fun to go over there in get tangled in those nets and have to cut them loose. Then you ARE LOOKING OVER YOUR SHOULDER, for the owner of those nets that will give you what for
3.) stop in at Falcon Lake Tackle and ask James for the info. Whether you know him or not, he will tell you--- if they are biting and where they are biting and what to throw. He certainly will not give a GPS co-ordinate but he will give you a cove or creek name.

don't get out of your boat onto Mexican soil, don't run from a Mexican Police boat, don't "joke" with the Border Patrol or Game Wardens.
be sure to have both fishing licenses, US & Mexican, just in case you are across the international line out in open water or you do go into the Mexican Rivers & Coves, have yuour life jackets & most of all,,,,, DO NOT CARRY A GUN. AND don't be on the Mexican side or US side for that matter,,,, near dark thirty. DARK invites the bad guys out.......stay in the light.

GREAT place to fish & can be done so without any headaches if you just do it right.

This ^^^^^^^^, and have fun...it's a awesome place for sure!
Posted By: All Boat, No Bass

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/13/17 12:43 AM

thanks that reminded me, i need to put TP on my boat in a plastic bag
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/13/17 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: All Boat, No Bass

thanks that reminded me, i need to put TP on my boat in a plastic bag

Those Talons will come in handy for that operation too if you know what I mean. flush
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/13/17 04:59 PM

BUT----

Very good advice!!---I personally don't cross into Mexico for many reasons but several friends do. One had an incident this past March-- A guy came up to them on a jet-ski with a bow. He was speaking in spanish to them (which they didn't understand) and actually nocked an arrow and pointed it at them. Another boat came toward them and the guy took off.

I look at it this way. You don't go into bad areas of a city and loaf around, so why do the same on Falcon or Amistad? Albeit low, you already run a risk of having an incident near the border, that risk drastically increases crossing it. Many people do it daily without incident but the risk is still there. The gill nets are everywhere and not marked. So why run the risk of getting tangled up in one? Border patrol, and game wardens are out there daily and the observation balloons are there with cameras. These are only deterrents but they are there for a reason!! You never know when, where, something can happen so I reduce that risk by staying on the US side and keeping my eyes open for suspect boats (small aluminum boats) approaching.
Posted By: Boudreaux99

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/13/17 07:18 PM

I've fished the Mexico side of Falcon by myself a bunch. Just don't be stupid, and make sure that there is another boat within sight if you are nervous. I've been doing it since 2009 and I've never had an issue.

One year I fished the Salanias on Christmas day. I was back there by myself for several hours and never saw another boat. I won't lie, it did trip me out a little.

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/14/17 01:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Boudreaux99
One year I fished the Salanias on Christmas day. I was back there by myself for several hours and never saw another boat. I won't lie, it did trip me out a little.

This might be when you would be worried, if it wasn't Christmas Day.

I'm not saying it's true or not, just something I've heard from multiple people, but... one way to have confidence that you're all right on the Mexico side is if the commercial fisherman are out doing their things (setting, pulling nets). The thought is that if the cartels are stirred up or doing stuff, even the commercial fishermen won't go on the lake.

So maybe just something to keep in mind if you're on the Mexico side and nervous.

FWIW, I've been fishing Falcon multiple times a year since 2008 and never had any problems. Saw some suspicious looking stuff on that island in the mouth of the Salinias a year or two ago, but the guys didn't bother us. They actually laughed when I hooked into something with a crankbait, fought it, and pulled up an old feed sack.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/14/17 01:39 AM

anybody notice that you rarely see commercial fishermen on Sunday....
Posted By: Legend Chris

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/15/17 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Monte Coon

Yup. I never had any issues, runs ins or anything. Just like a
normal lake..

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/16/17 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: beartrap
anybody notice that you rarely see commercial fishermen on Sunday....

There were plenty out and about this past Sunday
Posted By: Bassdeer

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/16/17 11:05 PM

2.) why even go to the Mexican side if the fishing is as good or better on the US side. we have caught just as many and just as big on this side as the other side.

This^^^ I love bass fishing I also love coming home after fishing to.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/16/17 11:22 PM

How many chances will you get to fish in Mexico? Get your license and go for it.

Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/17/17 02:18 AM

Just keep ur head on a swivel and if you see anything out of the ordinary on the Mexican side, get the f outta there.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/17/17 03:51 AM

I say stay and fight!!.................don't run.

Re: fishing Mexico side by yourself at Falcom - 12/17/17 04:12 AM

The reason for the post was I had been to Commedero and we went with our guide waaay up a creek, and it got really hairy with a couple of guys. I never planned on stepping foot on Mexican soil. Just wanted to know if anyone had personal experience with bad guys up any of the creeks and if so, which ones. Hope to head out there in a few weeks when the Mrs. takes her hen trip with her sisters! Ole!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum