Texas Fishing Forum

Aluminum only club or tournaments.

Posted By: Joe dirt 318

Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/10/17 09:34 PM

Does anyone know of any aluminum only clubs or tournaments around the Tyler area?
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/11/17 02:52 PM

None that I’m aware of
Posted By: 5-20

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/12/17 09:06 AM

Just fish with the big boats. Might have to put in more practice time but you’ll be fine.
Posted By: FlatBack4

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/12/17 12:41 PM

Just wondering why having an aluminum boat means you might need to put in more practice time. Are "big boat" owners, somehow, better fisherman because of the size of their boats?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/12/17 12:54 PM

Boats don't catch fish. That said, the big fiberglass boat advantages are real. Most are faster and easier to fish in rough water and high winds. I can see where someone would want to fish on an even playing field.

As for the OP Q? I haven't heard of any. However, I have been beat by guys in tin boats before, so I know they didn't have any problems getting to the fish.
Posted By: 5-20

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/12/17 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: FlatBack4
Just wondering why having an aluminum boat means you might need to put in more practice time. Are "big boat" owners, somehow, better fisherman because of the size of their boats?

No, that's not what I meant. I was a small tin boat guy for a while and the drawback to those boats is that you can't cover a lot of water as quickly as you can with a typical glass rig with a 150-250 motor. Meaning you might need to focus on two or three specific areas on a big body of water and fish them more thoroughly and really do your best to figure out a pattern that you can work with instead of running and gunning all over the lake in a day. To cover these areas you might even need to trailer your boat during practice to a far away spot to help you decide if it's really worth spending the time on the day of the tourney running all the way to that spot. Decision making is a lot more critical with those small boats and the margin for error is definitely a lot smaller, especially if the wind kicks up. smile

It's either fish in your small boat your own way or fish out of someone else's boat out of the backseat. Personally, I've always preferred fishing out of my own boat even if its more challenging.
Posted By: Kristopher Douglas.

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/12/17 07:32 PM

That's just wrong! How are we supposed to tell our fiberglass boats that an aluminum only club is around.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/12/17 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: 5-20
Originally Posted By: FlatBack4

No, that's not what I meant. I was a small tin boat guy for a while and the drawback to those boats is that you can't cover a lot of water as quickly as you can with a typical glass rig with a 150-250 motor. Meaning you might need to focus on two or three specific areas on a big body of water and fish them more thoroughly and really do your best to figure out a pattern that you can work with instead of running and gunning all over the lake in a day. To cover these areas you might even need to trailer your boat during practice to a far away spot to help you decide if it's really worth spending the time on the day of the tourney running all the way to that spot. Decision making is a lot more critical with those small boats and the margin for error is definitely a lot smaller, especially if the wind kicks up. smile

It's either fish in your small boat your own way or fish out of someone else's boat out of the backseat. Personally, I've always preferred fishing out of my own boat even if its more challenging.

I usually finish better when I fish small, thorough and don't run all over the lake. Regardless of what boat I'm in.
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/12/17 07:56 PM

I won a club tournament once at the boat ramp out of a tracker because it just wasn't safe for me to get out into the big water. I also have won angler of the year in a club multiple times from my tin boat, and was always in the top 6.

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/13/17 08:57 PM

Tks for the info. I have always fished from big glass boat and recently downsized to a bass tracker. My concern was at a tournament launch if i left in the front of the pack i would have 20 glass boats flying past me 70mph on each side and fighting waves from both sides that's why i thought about aluminum only to maybe everything more equal.tks again.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/15/17 02:45 AM

I don't know of any, but, I think it's a great idea.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/15/17 03:52 AM

Do Bass Trackers not make wakes too?
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/15/17 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Toadrustler
That's just wrong! How are we supposed to tell our fiberglass boats that an aluminum only club is around.

I agree,,,,
Aluminum "only" club or tournament is just WRONG.
That is clearly racist .... to base a club or tournament strictly on the type of skin on a boat.
Next thing you know we will be having women only or 50hp motors and below tournaments or clubs.
Just because I do not own an aluminum boat you want to exclude me ?
That's just wrong !
OMG
Posted By: GoPokes

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/15/17 02:52 PM

Used to fish with these guys when I was a kid. Could fish out of whatever boat you wanted, but only electric motors, so lots of john boats obviously.

http://www.oklahomabassfishing.com/eric501.html

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/15/17 02:59 PM

So i guess its racist that alot of tournaments have a 250hp max excluding guys that have 300hp motors.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/15/17 03:25 PM

Fiberglass lives matter!

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/15/17 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Joe dirt 318
So i guess its racist that alot of tournaments have a 250hp max excluding guys that have 300hp motors.

No, that would be sexist.

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/15/17 03:57 PM

Funny. Yes fiberglass lives matter. Grout scout are you making fun of my little bitty outboard???
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/15/17 03:58 PM

There should be a tin only tournament series

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/15/17 04:33 PM

Funny. Yes fiberglass lives matter. Grout scout are you making fun of my little bitty outboard???

Nah, I only have a 225 that’s running like a 200.

But...how little is it?

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/15/17 04:45 PM

Small but feels like a 300 to me in my world.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/15/17 05:28 PM

Have to be careful sometimes......keep the tin boats and the glass boats separate.
There is a guy who frequents this site that became legendary filming videos from the bank (spec around bridges) who saved up and bought a small boat to cover more water. Then he went and won a boat in a big tourney. Sold said boat to take care of the family and was able to purchase another glass boat that was more economic. Everyone cheered this guy who has done it the hard way...next thing you know, he'll be taking all our money in the local tourneys!
Point - never worry about tin vs glass. Just go fish and good things will happen.

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/15/17 05:59 PM

I have much respect for glass boaters because i was one for years. Im in tin boat now and don't mind fishing from it. I have it rigged like i want it. Glass,tin,kayak its all good.

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/15/17 07:36 PM

I have much respect for glass boaters because i was one for years. Im in tin boat now and don't mind fishing from it. I have it rigged like i want it. Glass,tin,kayak its all good.

YES .... BUT THEY MUST BE TREATED THE SAME !!!
with equal respect and not separated or made to feel as if they are different.
Tin should not be different and have their own "special" tournament.
if tin can fish with glass,,,, then glass should be able to fish with tin.

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/15/17 07:45 PM

There are kayak only tournaments. Electric only tournaments. So why is tin only different?

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/15/17 07:55 PM

Is it possible to have all kinds of different clubs and tournaments and let people have a choice of where they want to spend their money.

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/15/17 11:08 PM

Where have you been living, girls are allowed in the Boy Scouts. Nothing can be segregated any more.

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/15/17 11:28 PM

Few years ago there was a pro womens bass tour. One year BASS allowed a young lady to fish the bass maters classic by fishing the women's pro tournaments and qualified to fish it but there can't be a tin only club or tournaments. Come on really!
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/16/17 04:47 PM

Next there will be tin owners only bathrooms woot

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/16/17 08:36 PM

That's our long term goal😀.
Posted By: stetson

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/16/17 11:19 PM

A couple bass opens and a Forrest wood cup has been won in one within the last couple years in tin so don't count them out

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/16/17 11:23 PM

So question, if you succeed in a tin only bass club, can I fish using my fiberglass boat? popcorn

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/17/17 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: stetson
A couple bass opens and a Forrest wood cup has been won in one within the last couple years in tin so don't count them out

No one is discounting the use of tin in a boat.
what we are saying is that you should not discriminate against glass boat owners with a tin only club or tournament. Tin boats are not ruled out of current bass tournaments. if you owned a tin boat how would you like to be told you CAN'T FISH in the MEGA BASS because your boat has the wrong type skin.
the days of discrimination are supposed to be over.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/17/17 02:22 PM

A tin boat might feel intimidated and need a safe space. And then there's the issue of participation trophies. Ans what about trans-boats? Where do they fit in? You guys are really opening up a can of worms.
Tin LIves Matter.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/17/17 02:23 PM

I'm the odd duck out with a bay boat. Guess I should demand a safe space so no one can hurt me with ugly words.

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/17/17 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: tmd11111
I'm the odd duck out with a bay boat. Guess I should demand a safe space so no one can hurt me with ugly words.

You’re not even going to be allowed on a lake!

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/17/17 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout

Just for that i’m mounting my handicap tag on my boat and demanding I get to anchor closest to the fish.

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/17/17 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout

Yeah ..... what do you think your doing ?
Center console bay boat ?
C'mon Man !!!!
I guess you want a special club or tournament now ........

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/17/17 03:42 PM

I think every bass tournament should have a section for boats with motors 60HP or less,,,,, that way I do not feel like I am at a disadvantage to the BIG MOTORS.
Posted By: Bassfisher6704

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/17/17 03:45 PM

This talk offends me! I have a glass boat and I want to participate in the tin only club. This is all Trumps fault. LoL
NOT MY GLASS BOAT
TIN LIVES MATTER
Very fun forum hope everyone has a Merry Christmas

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/17/17 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Bassfisher6704
This talk offends me! I have a glass boat and I want to participate in the tin only club. This is all Trumps fault. LoL
NOT MY GLASS BOAT
TIN LIVES MATTER
Very fun forum hope everyone has a Mercury Christmas

Fixed it for ya
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/17/17 08:21 PM

And a “Happy New Yeti”
1. Al not = Sn
2. What about wood(en) boats?

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/17/17 08:47 PM

Yes wood boat only to. More choices for people. If there is enough interested in joining why not form one or any other style.variety is a good thing.
Posted By: Kristopher Douglas.

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/17/17 08:58 PM

Have every tournament on Palestine. It would be awesome.

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/17/17 11:01 PM

Yes wood boat only to. More choices for people. If there is enough interested in joining why not form one or any other style.variety is a good thing.

I ever inherit a wood boat I’m having a bon fire. Too many memories of my childhood winters changing planks in the hull, replacing rivets, sanding bottom paint, sanding and oiling teak trim and lastly sanding and varnishing the transom on my fathers 31 Owens. I celebrated the day he sold it and bought a fiberglass boat.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Aluminum only club or tournaments. - 12/17/17 11:14 PM

Fiberglass will burn real good too, had one I would have donated to the bonfire. Just wouldn’t recommend it in the smoker though. (I guess additionally so will Sn or Al but more like a boil).
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum