Texas Fishing Forum

Amistad this time year?

Posted By: dk2429

Amistad this time year? - 12/08/17 01:03 AM

Posted a while back asking on where to stay down near Amistad. Plan to get reservations this week. But before I do, can anyone tell me how well the fishing is in this lake this time of year typically? This will be my first actual time at this lake. If y'all think it would be more a waste of time then I'll head off somewhere else. Just want some input before I make reservations. Thanks!
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Amistad this time year? - 12/08/17 01:32 AM

I was down there for Thanksgiving weekend. Water temp was 63-65 and fishing was great. The day before Thanksgiving I went out in the afternoon. Clear sky's but stiff breeze, was slaying them on 10-15' grass beds with crankbaits. The day after Thanksgiving clear sky's again but no wind. Nothing on the same grass bed this time so I switched to a drop shot in creek channels that were 30-35' and between 3 of us we caught 25-30.
Now with that being said it may all be worthless with this cold front that just came through. Worst case if the bass ain't biting the white bass and striper fishing should be picking up. I'll find out Christmas time when I head down there again.

Re: Amistad this time year? - 12/08/17 01:57 AM

Thanks TMD! We'll be heading down there the 18th and probably be coming home the 21st. I was just kind of worried about the fishing down there in these kind of temperatures. It's 40 degrees right now here in southeast Houston!!!

Re: Amistad this time year? - 12/09/17 04:01 PM

Anybody else have any input on this?
Posted By: Walls

Re: Amistad this time year? - 12/09/17 08:36 PM

I'd just go based on the forecast. If the wind is not howling, you should be able to find fish. The lake is an experience whether you slay 'em or not. Super clear water, hydrilla in 20+ Fow, smallmouth to catch, top water bite in the middle of the day under bluebird skies is a very real possibility.......... Just different than any other lake we fish here in Texas.
Posted By: balata9999

Re: Amistad this time year? - 12/09/17 08:51 PM

I've had good luck late December fishing the channel swings and ledges over between blackbrush a d the entrance to San Pedro. 40+ feet with a drop shot. Baitfish colored finesse worms. Probably would need water temp at 52 or below. Not sure if it's been cold enough yet.
Posted By: C130

Re: Amistad this time year? - 12/09/17 09:52 PM

I'm sure this has been asked a lot but is Amistad generally safe to run, any big areas to avoid? I've never fished it but have been on the lake a few times but it's been many years ago while stationed at Laughlin AFB. I'd love to go back and visit and do some fishing.
Posted By: Walls

Re: Amistad this time year? - 12/10/17 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: C130
I'm sure this has been asked a lot but is Amistad generally safe to run, any big areas to avoid? I've never fished it but have been on the lake a few times but it's been many years ago while stationed at Laughlin AFB. I'd love to go back and visit and do some fishing.

You just have to take into account the lake level. Just as there are 50-100 ft cliffs above water, there are below as well. You can be in 100 fow one second and 3 feet the next.
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Amistad this time year? - 12/10/17 01:43 AM

Just RWO in the channels and use your electronics when you get out of them with caution.
Posted By: C130

Re: Amistad this time year? - 12/10/17 01:56 AM

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Amistad this time year? - 12/10/17 03:51 AM

If you run up the Rio, the hardly seeable marker bouy in front of Box Canyon might be considered pretty dangerous.
Posted By: Joefishhunter

Re: Amistad this time year? - 12/10/17 02:41 PM

When is the bast time to catch fish there? We are thinking about going there..

Re: Amistad this time year? - 12/10/17 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Joefishhunter

About 10 years ago.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Amistad this time year? - 12/10/17 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout

About 10 years ago.

x2
Posted By: squib

Re: Amistad this time year? - 12/11/17 03:17 PM

About 10 years ago.

Before BASS showed up. Same as Falcon.
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: Amistad this time year? - 12/11/17 08:45 PM

If you run up the Rio, the hardly seeable marker bouy in front of Box Canyon might be considered pretty dangerous.

Unless you're talking about #12 (the one right in front of Box Canyon), it was #13 that was the danger last time I was there in September. It was lit in the dark, but it just looked like a road construction cone that was sitting on top of the base for the buoy. Probably wasn't, that's just what it looked like and I didn't go in for a close look.

I also remember numbers 22 and 23 missing (or maybe it was 21 and 22). The bases might not be missing, so you might want to hug the outside of the channel for running up the river.
Posted By: Jswanz58

Re: Amistad this time year? - 12/11/17 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: squib

About 10 years ago.

Before BASS showed up. Same as Falcon.

What did B.A.S.S. do?
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Amistad this time year? - 12/11/17 08:53 PM

Yes it is 13 just mark it and stay away from it..

Re: Amistad this time year? - 12/11/17 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: texasbassdude

Unless you're talking about #12 (the one right in front of Box Canyon), it was #13 that was the danger last time I was there in September. It was lit in the dark, but it just looked like a road construction cone that was sitting on top of the base for the buoy. Probably wasn't, that's just what it looked like and I didn't go in for a close look.

I also remember numbers 22 and 23 missing (or maybe it was 21 and 22). The bases might not be missing, so you might want to hug the outside of the channel for running up the river.

Yes sir, it’s a construction cone. If a person were to be staring at a graph, it might sneak up on you.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum