Texas Fishing Forum

El Salto

Posted By: Stratos2011

El Salto - 12/01/17 08:15 PM

I will be going on a dream bass trip next February to El Salto with a group of people I was invited with. this is a once in a lifetime for me as its not cheap. I would like to get some suggestion on worm color to take. And an idea of what the water clarity is like. Im sure there are a lot of people on the forum that have been.
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: El Salto - 12/01/17 08:27 PM

Text me ...., just got back
I can give all kinds of info to help make your trip better
281-455-8323
Posted By: Pete Robbins

Re: El Salto - 12/01/17 09:26 PM

My wife and I go down twice a year -- usually January and May/June.
I firmly believe that you could go there with nothing but 10" black/blue worms, 6" watermelon senkos, 8" watermelon lizards (and a bottle of chartreuse dipping dye) and do fine, but I'm sure that everyone has special colors that have outproduced others at one time or another.

Feel free to hit me up before your trip. I text with a couple of the guides almost every week.
Posted By: meP2too

Re: El Salto - 12/02/17 01:36 AM

i'm leaving tomorrow so i'll let you know how our group did.

Re: El Salto - 12/02/17 12:00 PM

I firmly believe that you could go there with nothing but 10" black/blue worms, 6" watermelon senkos, 8" watermelon lizards (and a bottle of chartreuse dipping dye).
[/quote]

I agree with Pete 100% --- add a Watermelon Blue Fleck 7" or 10" worm and you are set. Be sure those Senkos are the Yamamoto W/M with Red & Green Flake (Christmas Tree) --- do not throw them weightless, add a real small weight & peg it.....drag it on the bottom
throw those Senkos wacky style---but do not throw them weightless--add a real small weight and peg it or add a clam weight above the hook, pitch the lizards right up on the bank and drag them back out bouncing them off the rocks, and throw those 10 inch worms out deep in the drop offs.
I wish I was going back with either of you. GREAT trip.
if you fish the point with "El Gato" hanging out and crying at you be sure to feed her.
No worries to-from Mazatlan airport to the camps, or at the camps themselves. AI camp and staff are great.
You guys have fun and be sure to post about your trip.
Posted By: bluebonnet2

Re: El Salto - 12/02/17 02:03 PM

good morning,

you will love it!!!!!!!! lake is about 75%.........don't forget ZOOM mag flukes in pearl, pearl with silver flake, baby bass and scrounger jig heads...they are killer...wacky YUM dinger, 8"= big ones!!!!

enjoy and god speed!!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck.
PURA VIDA,
bluebonnet2

Re: El Salto - 12/02/17 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: bluebonnet2
don't forget ZOOM mag flukes in pearl, pearl with silver flake, baby bass and scrounger jig heads...they are killer.

thumb
and so is every other lure in your tackle box at some point in time ,,,, for some fish.
I took 70 pounds of tackle with me ,,,,,,, every lure anybody had suggested & just caught fish on 4 of them. (why change if you are catching 60 per day and 6-7-8 pounders regularly and the occasional 10+ (2)....... plus all the 3 & 4s you care to have on.
we did catch a few good fish on a Magnum Fluke in WM w/ red flake, "we" could not get them to bite on the pearl flukes...... just sayin --- take your favorite baits ,,,,, but take lots of them.
Don't know about Ron Speeds but the Angler's Inn had a very nice stocked tackle shop with whatever you need ,,,,, except the yellow dye dip, bring your own.

Re: El Salto - 12/02/17 06:13 PM

Word of advice from those who know...

If you pack dye, don't bring JJ's Magic. Good stuff, but doesn't hold up to air travel well.

Bring Spike It, and wrap it in multiple ziploc bags, and then duct tape them shut. You won't be happy if all of your clothing ends up permanently smelling like a plate of spaghetti.
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: El Salto - 12/02/17 08:13 PM

How much is a trip there typically per person?
Posted By: salex

Re: El Salto - 12/02/17 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: jcarring99
How much is a trip there typically per person?

$1200 to $1700 depending on lodge and rather you are going for 3 days or 4 days. Direct flights from Dallas to Mazatlan are $600 to $750. Tips are extra and will be about $50 a day for camp staff and guides.

All in $2200 to $2700.
Posted By: txstoby

Re: El Salto - 12/02/17 11:04 PM

If you catch a good price on the airfare you can fish for less than $1600 plus tips.

Re: El Salto - 12/02/17 11:09 PM

If you catch a good price on the airfare you can fish for less than $1600 plus tips. I just searched flights for some random dates in March. I found a flight on Interjet for $400 round trip and at least one of the lodges has a price of less than $1100 for 4 nights and 3 days.

Re: El Salto - 12/03/17 12:19 AM

As a person that does not like to spend money on a guide -- that is a whole other story---
The cost of an El Salto trip is worth every dime you pay.
I would go again next month if I had an invite or my kids would go with me.
You can find good airfare but one thing I really suggest is to fly straight to Mazatlan and do not connect in Mexico City.

Re: El Salto - 12/03/17 12:39 AM

Well connecting in MX City is a pain but it also can save $200-$300 dollars if you are a budget conscious person. AA is a pain to deal with, especially since they bought out USAirways.
Posted By: Flooringit

Re: El Salto - 12/03/17 01:19 AM

I’d be going if I had a passport. But I’d be liar if I didn’t tell you I’m scare to death to leave Themis country. Things happen and may never get back

Re: El Salto - 12/03/17 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Flooringit
I’d be going if I had a passport. But I’d be liar if I didn’t tell you I’m scare to death to leave Themis country. Things happen and may never get back

Driving on the roads in Dallas is scary.
Going Nirth on Rayburn in 20mph Northerlyvwinds is scary.
Going to El Salto is not scary ,,,, especially going direct to Mazatlan

Originally Posted By: txstoby
Well connecting in MX City is a pain but it also can save $200-$300 dollars if you are a budget conscious person. AA is a pain to deal with, especially since they bought out USAirways.

And I agree 100% with what you say here. But,,, to me,,, ill pay the extra and go direct.
The $$$$ we saved in using Air Mexico and connecting in Mexico City was not worth the BS there
But as you said and I agree, for the budget it will save you a few hundred $$$$
Posted By: bluebonnet2

Re: El Salto - 12/03/17 03:52 AM

good evening,,

get a passport and GO!!!!!! absolutely the best bass fishing in the world period......next is baccarac...our average trip is 60-80 a day with lots of 5-7 lbs...my best so far in 6 trips is 10.5,

as we say at probassadventures..........get your bass down here....have never had an issue with these guys...pick you up at the airport and bring you back......go AA out of DFW non stop....

you can PM me if you like...

good luck,
PURA VIDA,
bluebonnet2

Re: El Salto - 12/04/17 06:50 PM

Everyone has to decide on their own comfort level, but I've traveled to several dozen countries and all over the US, and El Salto doesn't register on the "fear" scale.

Re: El Salto - 12/07/17 02:41 AM

Just got back from 2 days at El Salto and 2 days at Lake Picachos.
Expectations: El Salto a 10, actual 4; Picachos a 4.5, actual 10.

El Salto was approximately 15 to 20 feet low, commercial fishing nets blocked 60 percent of the areas we fished. Morning topwater bite was ok, Chug Bug was best for me, but for other staying at our camp a por-r produced fish. Four groups were staying at the resort/camp and at lunch reports it was said that only 3 fish were caught on lizards. Wacky rigged or split shot senko,or trick worms and shakey heads with trick worms were most productive at all depths. one group did well on square bill crankbaits. Our groups best fish went 7.5 pounds, plenty of 4's and 5's were caught but most were 1 to 2 pounds. Catch rates for each boat was 40 to 50 fish per day. Camp was great and food was excellent.

Picachos appeared about 4 feet low, commercial nets were there but not that big a deal. Morning topwater bite was very good, chug bug, and pop'r produced very well, our 6 person group's big fish of 8.5 pound came on a pop r. But, most fish in the morning were in the 2 to 4 pound range. During the day shakey heads out produced other presentations, but texas rigged lizards, and senkos did well, wacky rigged trick worms and senkos, and split shot senkos did well. Sunset topwater bite was very good too. A few guys were able to catch them an crankbaits/rattle traps, and even a few reports of fish on spinnerbaits. Boat daily catches ranged from 80 fish to 140 fish. my parnter and I lead the group each day with 140 and 137 fish, i would estimate that 5 pecent were 2 pounds or less, five percent were 4 to 5 pounds and the all the others were solid fish between 2 to 4 pounds. Camp was geat and food was excellent.

The drive to and from the airport and between camps was safe, and entertaining.

Re: El Salto - 12/07/17 01:15 PM

...So why are you only rating El Salto a "4" ???
**** do to the lack of a real BIG fish ?
**** commercial fishing nets ?
++++ daily numbers ?

Just curious about expectations vs experience
Posted By: montgomery

Re: El Salto - 12/07/17 01:40 PM

Here is my take on it my first trip to El Salto was in 2002 and I have been there between 12-15 times since.It is called fishing I have had trips where your hands were sore from taking of so many good fish.We had a trip where a cold front blew in the second day and we only caught 2 fish on our last day that it warmed up is was like a new lake and both my brother and I had a fish over 9. Now for the big fish down there I have caught bigger right here on Conroe my PB is 11.15 and a few more over 10. I think my best at El Salto is 10 something so nothing is guaranteed. To me it is more about getting away from the house and enjoying the experience and if I catch some good ones it is a plus.
Posted By: bassfshin24

Re: El Salto - 12/07/17 01:43 PM

I will be heading down Jan 25-29 with a group of 8 guys. Staying at Probassadventures. Always bring watermelon red lizards and mag flukes. I have a ton of tackle already packed as you never know what the hot bait will be. 2 years ago on our last trip there and our last day my brother in I caught 209 fish up to 7lbs. Lost a 8-10lber at the boat all on a deep diving crank bait. This was all in one 100 yard area. This year I will be chasing those bigger fish. Bringing down some bigger line thru swimbaits and some glide swimbaits. We shall see what happens. The stretch of time we are going will have no talapia nets in the lake and 3 days before a full moon. Should be perfect

Re: El Salto - 12/07/17 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: flukeman83
...So why are you only rating El Salto a "4" ???
**** do to the lack of a real BIG fish ?
**** commercial fishing nets ?
++++ daily numbers ?

Just curious about expectations vs experience

the"4" might have been harsh, but after reading up about El Salto and reviewing recent (November) reports from the resorts web sites, the actual reality was less than the expectations.

Lack of big fish - yes. for two days there were over twenty anglers at the resort, some were regulars making their annual trip, some were there for the first time. Only a few 6 to 7 pound fish were caught.

Commercial fishing nets - yes, I know our guide was upset at the placement of nets, In one small cove there were 8 - 100+ yard long nets going in all directions, and more paralleling the bank. They could have blocked prime fishing areas that resulted in the low big fish numbers.

Daily numbers - no, 40 to 50 per day was close to expectations for lake, but most of the caught fish were 1 to 1.5 pound fish. We fished from shore to 24 feet gradual and steep banks.

It was great being there, but had hopes of a few large fish. I would go again in a second.
Posted By: bassfshin24

Re: El Salto - 12/08/17 02:05 PM

We kind of had the same expectations the first time we were down there. The lack of big fish on that trip was a bummer. We went mid February and had a cold front and rain hit the day we got there which was a bummer. The nets were also in the lake and the Hyacinth was all over the place. I had a group of 4 of us go this trip and we all had 1 fish over 7lbs and a few over 5lbs. But now I am going to be heading back for the 3rd time in 5 years. We just loved the experience of the whole trip and the lake was beautiful and the hopes of catching a 8-10lber keeps us wanting to come back. If you truly want a trip that produces big fish I think your best bet is to head to Baccarac. It's absolutely unbelievable the number of 10lbs fish they pull out of that place.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: El Salto - 12/08/17 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: bassfshin24
We kind of had the same expectations the first time we were down there. The lack of big fish on that trip was a bummer. We went mid February and had a cold front and rain hit the day we got there which was a bummer. The nets were also in the lake and the Hyacinth was all over the place. I had a group of 4 of us go this trip and we all had 1 fish over 7lbs and a few over 5lbs. But now I am going to be heading back for the 3rd time in 5 years. We just loved the experience of the whole trip and the lake was beautiful and the hopes of catching a 8-10lber keeps us wanting to come back. If you truly want a trip that produces big fish I think your best bet is to head to Baccarac. It's absolutely unbelievable the number of 10lbs fish they pull out of that place.

Baccarac or comedreo does seem like they produce bigger fish
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: El Salto - 12/08/17 08:43 PM

I would go again if I knew the big fish were being caught. IMO it's too risky going over to Mexico for a bunch of 2 or 3 lbers. It was scary when we went to Lake Huites about 12 years ago. They wanted us to leave in the middle of the night so we could basically sneak outta there. Really? We had a group of 8 and fished for 4 days. Biggest fish in our group was barely over 6 lbs.

Re: El Salto - 12/09/17 01:34 AM

Salto still has plenty of big fish. The nets are a pain to deal with much of the time. Some guides are better than others. If you find a guide that you like, ask for him. Some lodges rotate a guide during the same trip which can be a bummer. Some guys will book if they can have the guide that they ask for.
This fall on Salto, the big fish have not shown up yet as usual, yet. There are days when there are no nets on the lake. Book early and go then.
Posted By: boeing driver

Re: El Salto - 12/09/17 02:38 AM

Any lake in Mexico can have an off day due to any one of several variables. However, the most consistent lake for quantity AND quality is Salto. Most things you have no control over. By far, the 2 most important things you may be able to control are: what time of the year you go and who your guide is. If you make the right decision on these 2 things, you have the best chance for a successful trip.

Re: El Salto - 12/09/17 07:44 AM

The end of Sept - 1st of October there were 4 fish over 10 pounds caught by a group of 4
There was another crew there out of DFW -- 6/8 guys did not catch any big fish
I had many 6s and a couple of 7s ,,,,,, same days, same lake ...... it is not automatic
But it is a great trip and a Great Lake to fish.
I'd go again in a second. I think the fishing is kinda like Falcon only better accommodations, much better food and my guide doesn't fish....... he just puts me on fish. Plus I do not have to make my own drinks
Posted By: Jefffish

Re: El Salto - 12/12/17 03:16 PM

I just went last October when Anglers Inn had the B.A.S.S. discount. Absolutely the best trip ever! The accommodations at Anglers Inn are incredible. The food, drinks, service and atmosphere are amazing. I went for 2 1/2 days and caught great fish every day. Biggest was 9 lbs on a square bill crankbait. Lots of 4 to 6 lb fish on lizards and Powerworms. Travel to Mazatlan is easy. Anglers Inn picks you up at the airport and the van ride to the lake is fun with an ice chest full of beer. The second you step off the van, they hand you an ice cold margarita. They do your laundry every day and the food is amazing. I am going again next April. Do not hesitate to book a trip. Check with Pete Robbins and his wife Hanna for booking.

Re: El Salto - 12/12/17 04:41 PM

I know Pete and his wife Hanna are great people ,,,,,, but call the AI number direct 1-800-gottafish and talk to Tammi.
Get to know her,,,,, she will help you with all kinds of stuff.
also when you get there look up "Ziggy". an old Arkansas boy that went down there and never came back.
he lives on the property and helps out.....take him some chartreuse dip it........ he will also give you some great info.
Get a Tilapia and take it to the El Gato point and feed that cat,,,,, she is always hungry.
Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: El Salto - 12/12/17 05:03 PM

The nets really suck...
Posted By: montgomery

Re: El Salto - 12/12/17 05:27 PM

14 days and counting leaving on the 26th
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: El Salto - 12/12/17 06:07 PM

so Ive been looking t El Salto and Picachos trips for a couple years now and will likely pull the trigger on one of them soon. I noticed on the pro bass adventurers website they offer an economy trip. apparently your three to a boat/room. Anyone here ever done it? sounds like a cheaper way to get down there. are the boats large enough to really accommodate three anglers without hooking each other? im not as concerned with sharing a room since at the deer lease we all cram into my camper and I'm used to it. do i need to spend the extra cash? i have a group of three including myself that want to go. should i pony up the extra for two per boat? what happens to the odd man out when it comes to the boat he fishes on?

Re: El Salto - 12/12/17 06:28 PM

You can do it .... fish 3 to a boat. I saw it done at Angler's Inn when I was there.
I also saw a single fishing from a boat. Depends on the break in the rate I would imagine.
the boats at both places are 17ft and pretty open with the guide driving the boat with a hand tiller motor.
front deck -- back deck --- open space in the middle, usually stacked with more tackle boxes than any one fisherman would ever need
would just need to be careful with the casting.
Posted By: boeing driver

Re: El Salto - 12/21/17 09:15 PM

Just returned from 6days of fishing Salto. Weather was very unusual...light rain all of day one, day two began with massive thunderstorm just east of the lake. Remainder of the trip was beautiful. Caught approximately 400 bass, mostly in the mornings...fished 6 hours in the morning, 3 hours in the afternoon. There were two distinct patterns. Shallow flat spawning grounds produced biggest fish (10 lb 10 oz) as well as large numbers. Also, when schools were located on points in 10-15 fow, a Texas rigged paca craw or mag
senko was the go to pattern. Hope this helps.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum