Posted By: RANGER SKI

fairfeild power plant - 12/01/17 03:10 PM

is power plant still in operation and is it generating. thanks
Posted By: Freecobasser

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/01/17 05:12 PM

Been there last two weekends.
Water temp 75-70.
Wasn't generating at the time.
Caught em good weekend before last on square bill.
Last weekend very difficult.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/01/17 05:50 PM

closing in Feb per news reports
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/02/17 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter
closing in Feb per news reports

Next in line.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/02/17 01:47 AM

Whats the estimated time for perky, Welsh, and MC to close?
Posted By: forkduc

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/02/17 04:00 PM

Monti is January close. Not sure if Welsh is closing. They did major upgrade recently.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/04/17 09:41 PM

This will be the last winter monti or fairfield generate, haven't heard of them planning to mothball any others in the near future...
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/05/17 04:12 PM

Maybe this will help Fairfield with the fish kills?

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/06/17 02:05 AM

You don't close down power plants without affecting the grid. Has anyone seen or heard of any new power plants that have been or will be built?
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/06/17 02:48 AM

At one point I read an article explaining that our modern energy efficient homes/appliances have actually resulted in a reduced power demand from the grid. This, of course, means that less megawatts need to be generated. Clearly, the business will go to efficient plants as their costs are typically lower.
Posted By: AdvTX

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/06/17 04:55 PM

The Tilapia are going to be pissed!
Posted By: coachmas

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/06/17 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: AdvTX

at least for one year!
Posted By: lconn4

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/06/17 06:47 PM

Dead sticking may be the preferred method for a while.

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/06/17 06:52 PM

Freezing to death would tick me right the funk off.
Posted By: BWG

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/06/17 08:26 PM

Cheap natural gas Is the reason coal plants are shutting down.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/07/17 03:25 AM

Good chance not only will fairfield and Monticello not be brought back online, they will more than just be mothballed, may be demoed.

Coal fired power plans are at risk and have been for a long time.

I call on industrial facilities for a living including Corp HQ, Luminant (Vistra now).

Quite a few utility companies in this country are in bankruptcy.

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/07/17 03:51 AM

Yes mothball was the wrong word, once these plants go off-line their chance of coming back is just about nil.
Posted By: 361V

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/07/17 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: BWG
EPA is the reason coal plants are shutting down.

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/07/17 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V

And its being replaced with cheaper and cleaner gas... I say good riddance and learn how to fish in the cold like everyone else lol.
Posted By: Mark C

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/07/17 04:19 PM

From the DMN...

Luminant officials said cheap natural gas and Texas' competitive energy market has gradually made these decades-old plants unprofitable.

No mention of the EPA.

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/08/17 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark C

From the DMN...

Luminant officials said cheap natural gas and Texas' competitive energy market has gradually made these decades-old plants unprofitable.

No mention of the EPA.

Are these cheap, natural gas plants on a body of water? Are they old coal-firing plants that have been converted to natural gas?

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/08/17 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Rayzor
Originally Posted By: Mark C

From the DMN...

No mention of the EPA.

Are these cheap, natural gas plants on a body of water? Are they old coal-firing plants that have been converted to natural gas?
I would guess no need for a large cooling reservoir for these new gas powered plants, technology changes
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/08/17 01:57 AM

I'll let y'all know how it fishes Saturday.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/08/17 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I'll let y'all know how it fishes Saturday.

thumb
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/10/17 01:58 AM

The fishing on that lake is the best I've ever seen it be.

Why anyone would want to go to Squaw is beyond me.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/10/17 06:44 AM

Tough for me today. Caught 23 but the quality wasent great
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/10/17 02:06 PM

Wind and Solar is the only new constuction in the Power Gen Market. It will at some point replace the plants running on Natural Gas. Many of the Natural Gas plants are smaller combined Cycle.

Example, Panda Electric is Sherman is gas plant.

Luminant has many small gas fired plants, many are located at some of the larger site that have been shut down, like Granbury. They are nothing in size to say Moniticello which has three 550 MW units as I recall. The Granbury site which was shut down a few years back and may still be shut down was shut down because of Wind power. When the wind quits blowing which is does from time to time is made by brining combined cycle plants on line quickly. In the future the combined cycle make up plants will be replaced by renewables (Batteries) as the technology gets better.

There are a few large gas fired plants, 550 MW with Hot Ponds, but I can't recall which ones. I do not spend as much time in this industry as I once did.

Some of the sites when built, like the Konawa plant in Oklahoma were combination plants, would run on gas, oil and or coal. But they always ran both untis on coal. Its a very complicated task to switch from one fuel source to another due to supplier contracts for gas and coal.

The Utility business is complex mess with all the ERCOT and NERC CIP guidelines/requirements.

I hate to see these plants shut down, but times change. It will be interesting to see how the lakes evlolve. My guess they will do fine and fishing will be different but my guess will be good.
Posted By: Joefishhunter

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/10/17 02:36 PM

Wind power plants will only last as long as the gov keeps flipping the bill. I work on a few sites building them and from what were told they are slowing down on buildingm them. Once the gov fund stop so will they. The cost to much and make to little...
Posted By: 361V

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/10/17 04:44 PM

I have to agree that natural gas plants seems like a big part of the future with the new found reserves and drilling but where are all these "new gas plants"? All I have seen as far as natural gas fired plants is closings through the years of all the antiquated/inefficient plants like Granbury, Arlington, Ray Hubbard, Mountain Creek.... Only "new" gas plant I remember in a long while is the newer(relatively) one on the south shores of Granbury but they pull the cold water from the lake but dump the warm water in the Brazos below Granbury's dam :-(. Any one actually know of plans for some "new" gas fired plants in the near future?
Posted By: Mike Zachary

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/10/17 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
Wind and Solar is the only new constuction in the Power Gen Market. It will at some point replace the plants running on Natural Gas. Many of the Natural Gas plants are smaller combined Cycle.

Example, Panda Electric is Sherman is gas plant.

Luminant has many small gas fired plants, many are located at some of the larger site that have been shut down, like Granbury. They are nothing in size to say Moniticello which has three 550 MW units as I recall. The Granbury site which was shut down a few years back and may still be shut down was shut down because of Wind power. When the wind quits blowing which is does from time to time is made by brining combined cycle plants on line quickly. In the future the combined cycle make up plants will be replaced by renewables (Batteries) as the technology gets better.

There are a few large gas fired plants, 550 MW with Hot Ponds, but I can't recall which ones. I do not spend as much time in this industry as I once did.

Some of the sites when built, like the Konawa plant in Oklahoma were combination plants, would run on gas, oil and or coal. But they always ran both untis on coal. Its a very complicated task to switch from one fuel source to another due to supplier contracts for gas and coal.

The Utility business is complex mess with all the ERCOT and NERC CIP guidelines/requirements.

I hate to see these plants shut down, but times change. It will be interesting to see how the lakes evlolve. My guess they will do fine and fishing will be different but my guess will be good.

Konawa don't run unless it gets the bid or Muskogee or Sooner are in overhaul. Weve had a shad kill the last extended cold spells we've had.

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/11/17 01:58 AM

I have to agree that natural gas plants seems like a big part of the future with the new found reserves and drilling but where are all these "new gas plants"? All I have seen as far as natural gas fired plants is closings through the years of all the antiquated/inefficient plants like Granbury, Arlington, Ray Hubbard, Mountain Creek.... Only "new" gas plant I remember in a long while is the newer(relatively) one on the south shores of Granbury but they pull the cold water from the lake but dump the warm water in the Brazos below Granbury's dam :-(. Any one actually know of plans for some "new" gas fired plants in the near future?

I am curious, too.
Posted By: Kens3313

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/11/17 03:26 AM

I am in the natural gas compression industry , Natural gas plants have been around for along time. They don't have to be on a lake like a coal generating plant. They are out in the middle of no where usually. As for why are they shutting down these hot water lake plants It makes me wonder if it has to do with all the wind turbines producing more power that's more efficient to run the last 10 years or so. I hate to see it, I always like fishing power plant lakes.
Posted By: JWfish

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/11/17 12:59 PM

Luminant owns a lot of beautifully reclaimed land surrounding the Lake and Park area. If they start selling land parcels and you have the money, it is a prime wildlife area. They did auction some areas off a few years back, some of the richer local Ranchers scooped them up and gained a healthy trophy deer population. Luminant may not have a clean record with their coal emissions, but you have to appreciate the care they took in leaving the land better than they found it. Lots of pretty ponds, trees and grass meadows.
Posted By: FlatBack4

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/11/17 01:09 PM

Used to fish Lake Konawa, almost exclusively for lake fishing, when growing up. My brother-in-law just retired from working at the plant. For the last few years, that gave us easy access to the warm-water exhaust and a lot of big fish. I'm going to miss that.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/11/17 01:46 PM

Coal is still a cheap energy source but with the restrictions that have been placed on emissions it's just not feasible to update these old power plants that have outlived their lifespan years ago. This enormous cost is what makes gas a cheaper alternative. Wind power only makes up a small percentage of the power needed for Texas and as someone else mentioned when the government stops subsidizing them, they will go away. As clean coal technology improves I look for coal to come back at some point in the future. The Powder River Basin in Wyoming has enough coal to power the country for the next 200 years.
Posted By: Weo

Re: fairfeild power plant - 12/11/17 07:42 PM

The Gas Fired Plant just south of Kiowa Ok has been generating power for the ERCOT Zone for many years now. Not sure if this plant has played a role in the Coal Fired Plants in Eastern Texas to close or not but it sure smells like it. http://www.tenaska.com/plants_and_projects/tenaska-kiamichi-generating-station/
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum