Texas Fishing Forum

Keep your hands warm!!!

Posted By: i-Fish

Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/28/17 04:51 PM

I have found this to be one heck of a challenge when it’s cold and especially when it’s windy. Fingers are nearly numb within minutes. Are there any small profile gloves or any available product that you use to combat cold hands WHILE you’re fishing. Any normal glove kills any sensitivity and/or spool control. I can’t let the cold win!
Posted By: Cast

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/28/17 05:03 PM

A couple of jon e warmers in your coat pockets will keep you and your hands warm.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/28/17 05:11 PM

Hands and feet are the the hardest parts of the body to keep warm. They usually don't bother me unless the temps drop down to 45-48 or below. Here is what works for me...The key is to never let them get cold in the first place!! At the ramp I put on ski gloves (big heavy insulated gloves you can buy in the ski section of your local outdoor retailer) and those will keep you warm until you get to your destination. Once I get to where I am going to fish, I put on smaller lower profile type gloves that allow me to fish (any good insulated neoprene, or wool type glove will work for me). I then insert an individual hand warmer (or even two) packet/s on TOP of the hand inside the glove. The major arteries that feed the hand are located toward the TOP of the hand. The palms are what people usually focus on because that is the part that gets cold first, but if you will keep the back of your hand warm, your palms will stay warm as well!! If you place the packets in your palms, it will "feel" good, but all you are doing is warming the skin and NOT the BLOOD. The blood is the KEY here! The packets will stay in place (especially well if your gloves have a velcro strap to tighten down on the wrist) and will not interfere with your fishing as they are on top of your hand and not in your palm. Try it out and I think you will be happily surprised at how well it works.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/28/17 05:27 PM

good wool gloves
Posted By: River to sea

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/28/17 05:37 PM

I use a pair of light hunting type of gloves , and put hand warmers on the top of my hands , inside the gloves , fished Pines last Jan . 10 degrees at take off , 25 at weigh in , it was miserable , but my hands were ok , and I was able to fish decent .
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/28/17 05:52 PM

Winter golf gloves
Posted By: stanh

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/28/17 05:54 PM

I was fishing in the winter when a big, unexpected front came through. My hands froze all morning because I did not bring any gloves. At lunch, I went into town where there were no fishing, sporting goods or outdoor stores. The lumberyard had cotton gloves for $1.29 per pair. I bought 3 pair, cut the fingers off and changed to another pair when one got damp. It was unbelievable how warm my hands stayed the rest of a 2 day trip. Now, the cheap gloves are my go-to gloves all the time. They work better that the $25 fishing gloves I got for Christmas.
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/28/17 05:55 PM

take the small hand warmers and place in your gloves where they lay on the back side of your hand, as that is where the blood flows thru them.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/28/17 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: tx_basser
take the small hand warmers and place in your gloves where they lay on the back side of your hand, as that is where the blood flows thru them.

I also place a hand warmer in my glove on the inside of my wrist.
I buy the hand warmers by the case
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/28/17 07:16 PM

I use a pair of fly fishing mittens. They are wool and the fingers section fold back so you can rebait, tie lures or whatever without removing the whole mitten. Being wool, getting them wet doesn't affect the warming qualities.
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/28/17 10:19 PM

I use wet weather golf gloves with silk glove liners and put hand warmers on the backs of each hand. The arteries for your hands are actually nearer the surface on the under side of your wrist so it is hard to get heat to them. With the warmers on the back of your hands it keeps the surface vessels in contact with the warmers.

The best tip is not to let them get cold to begin with but that is rarely possible.
Posted By: stetson

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/28/17 10:40 PM

i dont know how y'all can actually fish with gloves it agitates me to much only thing i found that does help some and still fills like gloveless if tight fitting latex gloves, they do tend to rip eventually
Posted By: LBfishing

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/28/17 10:41 PM

I always carry my Mr. buddy heater when they get a little cold I warm them up with the heater.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/28/17 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: stanh
I was fishing in the winter when a big, unexpected front came through. My hands froze all morning because I did not bring any gloves. At lunch, I went into town where there were no fishing, sporting goods or outdoor stores. The lumberyard had cotton gloves for $1.29 per pair. I bought 3 pair, cut the fingers off and changed to another pair when one got damp. It was unbelievable how warm my hands stayed the rest of a 2 day trip. Now, the cheap gloves are my go-to gloves all the time. They work better that the $25 fishing gloves I got for Christmas.

Same thing we do when duck hunting. You can buy a whole pack of cheap jersey gloves @ Sams for next to nothing. When they get wet, pull on another pair. I wear a pair of thicker gloves when running the boat and then take them off when I get there. Can't stand gloves for fishing or hunting unless it is absolutely unavoidable.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/29/17 12:06 AM

I have 3 pair of gloves to start with. 2 pair of serius from academy. One I getvthe finger and thumb a little so they will fold back so I can feel. The other i didn't mess with for real cold days. Then i have a hunting pair that has the fold over mit for driving or if i just get real cold and need to warm up. Most of all, we carry a little propane heater and every now and then we fire it up to warm our hands and dry them out. That heater is the best purchase of all and can make a miserable day a lot easier to cope with. Hand warmers work good also in the gloves.
Posted By: pacertom

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/29/17 12:13 AM

If all else fails, P on them like we did ice fishing up North...If you run out, ask your buddy smile And Dry QUICKLY
Posted By: buda13

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/29/17 12:21 AM

Ski gloves for boat runs then Moritz (wool) gloves with the pointer finger and thumb cut off for fishing has worked for me to about the mid 30's. Any colder and I use winter golf gloves... regardless of which type of gloves I always have a couple of hand warmers in each jacket pocket. Man those things are awesome on a cold cold day.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/29/17 12:28 AM

I'm an outdoor guy. I just deal with it. 100MPH gloves when jumping spots, Neoprene glacier gloves when I'm fishing. Flip back style with no fingers. Or some thin Snap-On gloves with the fingers cut off.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/29/17 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I'm an outdoor guy. I just deal with it. 100MPH gloves when jumping spots, Neoprene glacier gloves when I'm fishing. Flip back style with no fingers. Or some thin Snap-On gloves with the fingers cut off.

You are no help. I am a sissy and you apparently are all that is man.
roflmao

Just messin
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/29/17 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: i-Fish
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

You are no help. I am a sissy and you apparently are all that is man.
roflmao

Just messin

I figured you'd read the irony in my post.
Posted By: Tc24

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/29/17 05:27 AM

The best gloves I've found to keep my hands warm is are the Simms fingerless 100% wool gloves with the grip dots. They were around 35.00 shipped, but worth every penny.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/29/17 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
Winter golf gloves

you must be a newbie at this...
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/29/17 12:52 PM

My kayak tops out at about 7mph, so no need for anything heavy duty

If I was going on someone’s boat on a cold day, I’d bring my ski gloves also
Posted By: BAIT956

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/29/17 01:05 PM

The really hard thing to do is to keep your hands dry. Wet, they get cold a lot quicker. I fish in Minnesota in October, morning temps usually in the 30's or 40's. I have tried everything I could think of.
Thin gloves are necessary for feel. The trade off is that they are not as warm.
I finally settled on some Carhardts with a rubberized palm side too keep my fingers dry and put hand or foot warmers inside the top side. Sometimes I will use 2 or 3.
Full rubberized or vinyl gloves do not permit the moisture from your hands to escape and you end up with wet, cold hands.
If it is cold enough, and sometimes you have to remove a glove or two to tie a knot or something, there is no keeping them warm. You just gut it out and if they get numb, stop and put them in your pockets.
Posted By: Dug71

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/29/17 02:42 PM

just loaded up on these for 6.88 each but looks like the cheap ones are gone now. Cabelas Glomitts

got these also and are thinner and may work better. cabelas thinner gloves.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/29/17 03:00 PM

The eternal question rises again..
Look at Water fowler products.. Drake in particular
https://www.drakewaterfowl.com/pages/search-results-page?q=men+accessories+gloves
The shooters glove works pretty good to 40 degrees or a little lower, it has a wind stopper quality I prefer over changing out gloves just to make a run. You can increase the the thickness as needed with some of the other styles Drake makes, extreme quality, however, I use them, and will wear out a pair generally a year..
I've been using these style gloves for 4 yrs, my hands suffer from debilitating neuropathy, when they're cold, I suffer, these help tremendously. FYI.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/29/17 03:13 PM

I only wear gloves driving. Rarely ever wear them fishing.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/29/17 03:55 PM

I use a pair of "fingerless" wool gloves I bought for cold weather photography. The fingers go out to my last knuckle, and work fine even when wet. I use hand-warmers when moving, but not for fishing. They'd work well inside the wool gloves if I decided I needed them. Stay warm, i-Fish!
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/29/17 07:26 PM

I have found wool gloves to be the best at keeping you warm and it doesn't let the water get to your skin w/o warming it up. Still feels warm. I go with fingerless wool gloves, but you watch out for hooks if they do not have any protection on them. A hook will grab it and tear a hole, VERY EASILY. Haven't tried the ones mentioned above, but they sound good. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: lanfish

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/30/17 01:22 AM

I'll drop my 2 cents on this. My dad read this in some farmers magazine and I didn't believe him, but it does work. We buy those cheap jersey gloves and a box of latex surgical gloves. Put your jersey gloves on and pull the latex gloves over the top. Keeps wind off your hands, keeps your hands dry, and pulls the jerseys snug so you still have spool control and feel. The latex gloves will rip some so keep extras to replace them.
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Keep your hands warm!!! - 11/30/17 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Ranger1
Originally Posted By: tx_basser

I also place a hand warmer in my glove on the inside of my wrist.
I buy the hand warmers by the case

Great suggestion! This is the best way I've found. Read an article a while back about doing that for bow hunting in extreme temps while sitting still and it has done the job for me in the Dakotas for years... Even with the thin Under Armour Liner gloves down into the single digits and below. I'm not a fan on bulky gloves. I try not to put my hands in my pockets hunting or they get damp and cold when you pull them out to glass or hold a bow. It works great. Fork fishing I have the same UA liner gloves with the left pointer finger tip cut off to feel the line on the left glove and pointer and thumb tip cut out of the right glove for cast control. If it's an all day glove day, I'll put on neoprene with handwarmers with the same cut outs since they repel water all day.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum