Texas Fishing Forum

Help with weight for sons PB

Posted By: FishamanSquatch

Help with weight for sons PB - 11/27/17 01:02 PM

My son caught his biggest bass Saturday out on Benbrook. I did not have a scale with me and was hoping you guys could give me a rough estimate. I think he is forever hooked now. And now I have a scale in the boat.
Posted By: saibling

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/27/17 01:08 PM

use formula L*L*G/1200 length times length times girth divide by 1200 this is within 1/2 pound
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/27/17 01:09 PM

Judging weight from a picture is extremely difficult. It's a beautiful fish. Big gut on it, if I had to guess I'd put in the 3.5-4.0lb range.
Posted By: hookinbass

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/27/17 02:19 PM

3 to 3.75
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/27/17 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: hookinbass
3 to 3.75

Pretty close. The bigger deal though is he's hooked now and you gotta regular fishing buddy. thumb
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/27/17 02:51 PM

2.75 lb
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/27/17 02:52 PM

If you have the length, use the TPWD paper charts or the formula. It'll be as close as you can get. If you are unsure of the length, find something of a known length in the picture, and measuere using that as a scale. The buckle on the life vest would be perfect for this. Him many buckles long is the fish, then multiply that number by the length of the buckle in inches, voila!

Luckily he is holding the fish close to his body, so you don't have the aspect ratio thing to deal with.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/27/17 04:02 PM

I'd say 3-4 pounds.
Posted By: Bassattak

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/27/17 04:15 PM

Heck with the weight. He's holding a memory that will last forever, For you and your son. It's WAY better than sitting in the house holding a gaming controller. Congrats to both of you!
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/27/17 04:33 PM

Doesn't matter because your son is a happy camper, can't wipe smile off his face. fish
Posted By: Cole P

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/27/17 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: FishamanSquatch
My son caught his biggest bass Saturday out on Benbrook. I did not have a scale with me and was hoping you guys could give me a rough estimate. I think he is forever hooked now. And now I have a scale in the boat.

Sometimes it is more fun not being able to know the weight. Now when y'all look back at that picture you will forever think, " I wonder how much that fish really weighed.." It leaves room for speculation, and thought; instead of simply knowing the weight of the fish being that-is-that.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/27/17 04:41 PM

Not sure; I keep a digital scale in my glove compartment of my boat. Been working on breaking my PB, but so far it hasn't seen much daylight. cheers
BTW, great picture, Love to see the young one out fishing.
Posted By: Arkansas10 bass

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/27/17 05:36 PM

2 1/2 - 2 3/4
Posted By: GROD

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/27/17 06:30 PM

I say tell him it’s a 5 lber (might be with that gut) and give him a goal to beat! Awesome day with dad!
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/27/17 07:12 PM

I would say in the 4 pound range. Pretty good gut on that nice healthy fish. Congratulations to your son.
Posted By: B.Byars

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/27/17 07:16 PM

Hard to tell with that life jacket and coat on but id say 60#. smile
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/27/17 09:41 PM

Posted By: CCTX

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/27/17 09:41 PM

But the smile is priceless
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/28/17 02:18 AM

nice fish. might as well be a DD.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/28/17 02:31 AM

around 3 lb. Even if you cannot weigh a fish laying it on a measuring stick will give you are "ball park" weight. Go to TPWD website and check out their inches to pound chart. Using that by the bulk of the bass you may be able to add a few ounces.

For him it can only get better.

Congrats.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/28/17 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: FishamanSquatch

First of all, Great Pic and Congrats to your son!

Considering he is holding it right up against his body, the fish is most likely heavier than it looks. It is a fatty too. I would say that fish would go 3.8 to 4.25 pounds.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Help with weight for sons PB - 11/28/17 01:20 PM

Doesn't really matter. It'll be 7 pounds by the time he gets to junior high.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum