Texas Fishing Forum

Lake map suggestions

Posted By: demok83

Lake map suggestions - 11/26/17 05:06 AM

Hello,

Just picked up a new to me boat that has a Lowrance Elite 5 on it. I also ordered a lowrance hook 7 for it as well. I would love to be able to look at the map while looking at the sonar, but am confused on what to get as I've never had lake maps before. Do I have to buy multiple cards for multiple graphs or can I just buy one? Can anyone help this electronics noob out? Thanks in advance!
Posted By: stanh

Re: Lake map suggestions - 11/26/17 02:42 PM

I'll try to help. I'm not as informed as many others on this forum. Here is what I believe to be true: Your Elite unit will accept a Navionics map card. Not sure about the Hook unit- but it probably will also. I think you have to buy a map card that is formatted for your specific unit. However, I bought the map card originally for the Elite 7 and when I changed to the HDS Gen 3 unit the card still worked just fine. My 3 HDS units all share a single map card because they are wired that way (network wiring). I don't believe your 2 units are capable of sharing a card. You will only be able to see the Navionics map display on the unit the card is in. Your Elite unit has a Lowrance map already installed that is not bad, IMO. But the Navionics map is a lot better and worth the $200 cost. Ocassionally, you can update the Navionics card to get the latest data installed onto it. I've had my card for about 3 years and have never updated- but I need to now and will soon. (cost= $100)

Also, there is another map card product called Lakemaster. It does about the same thing as Navionics. But they are a little different. Some prefer one over the other; kind of a Ford/Chevy thing I guess.

Hope that helps!
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Lake map suggestions - 11/26/17 04:20 PM

Lakemaster only works on Humminbird units.
Posted By: propman

Re: Lake map suggestions - 11/26/17 04:35 PM

I have older Lowrance graphs in my boat. I use the Navionics one in the dash unit and nothing on the bow. I get to where I want using the Navionics maps and then with whatever is already installed in the bow unit I can keep to certain contours, channels, depths etc. which is basically all I need up there.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Lake map suggestions - 11/26/17 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: demok83
Hello,

Just picked up a new to me boat that has a Lowrance Elite 5 on it. I also ordered a lowrance hook 7 for it as well. I would love to be able to look at the map while looking at the sonar, but am confused on what to get as I've never had lake maps before. Do I have to buy multiple cards for multiple graphs or can I just buy one? Can anyone help this electronics noob out? Thanks in advance!

I've got basically the same set up. The Elite 5 will take a Navionics but the Hook 7 won't. Get the Navionics Platinum Hot Map South, Usually get a better deal on Ebay or I have seen used ones on here but don't recommend a used one. You get free updates for a year with a new one. If you can cancel the order for the Hook 7 I would go with a Elite 7ti for the console and move the Elite 5 to the bow. You can then use the map card for either unit or there may be a way to connect the two. Mike at BPS Garland can really help you with this.
Posted By: mignic

Re: Lake map suggestions - 11/27/17 03:42 PM

Where are you getting your info? Have you tried Navionics in the Hook 7? I hope it works cause I picked one up Fri....

This is from Lowrance's website

accurate, built-in GPS antenna plus a detailed U.S. map with more than 3,000 lakes and rivers, as well as coastal contours to 1,000 ft. A micro SD card can also be used to display Lake Insight™ and Nautic Insight™ HD and PRO cartography, as well as Navionics® Gold, HotMaps® Premium, Fishing Hotspots® PRO and Jeppesen C-Map Max-N Wide charts.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Lake map suggestions - 11/27/17 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: mignic
Where are you getting your info? Have you tried Navionics in the Hook 7? I hope it works cause I picked one up Fri....

This is from Lowrance's website

accurate, built-in GPS antenna plus a detailed U.S. map with more than 3,000 lakes and rivers, as well as coastal contours to 1,000 ft. A micro SD card can also be used to display Lake Insight™ and Nautic Insight™ HD and PRO cartography, as well as Navionics® Gold, HotMaps® Premium, Fishing Hotspots® PRO and Jeppesen C-Map Max-N Wide charts.

You are correct about the Hook 7, mine is a 7X.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Lake map suggestions - 11/27/17 03:57 PM

Those two units will not "share" maps. I think that is still an HDS function, though they may have changed it recently.
Posted By: Corey Stanley

Re: Lake map suggestions - 11/30/17 12:57 PM

I would also take a look at the Navionics Regions South card. it is the same Nautical data(with sonarcharts) as the Platinum, but will also do coastal waters and the only things that is cant do that the Platinum can is the google overlay and 3d capabilities on some lakes. If those 2 features do not interest you, then I would save $50 and go with the Navionics Regions card for $149.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Lake map suggestions - 11/30/17 01:31 PM

I agree with Corey, you probably do not need the Platinum, just the Premium South micro card which fits the Hook 7 as well as the Elite ti although the Elite has a faster processor and I think you will like it better than the Hook if you can afford it. The Elite is very similar in operation and set up as the HDS touch screen units.
Posted By: BigHead248

Re: Lake map suggestions - 11/30/17 01:54 PM

I purchased a Navionics south premium card and now I've got a platinum. Idon't need the premium anymore so if you're interested i could make you a good deal.

469-834-7886
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Lake map suggestions - 11/30/17 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: BigHead248
I purchased a Navionics south premium card and now I've got a platinum. Idon't need the premium anymore so if you're interested i could make you a good deal.

469-834-7886

I'm interested....how old is the card?

Re: Lake map suggestions - 12/01/17 12:55 AM

This is it.

Re: Lake map suggestions - 12/01/17 12:55 AM

I'm about to put it and a lakemaster card up for sale.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum