Texas Fishing Forum

Swim jigs

Posted By: Freecobasser

Swim jigs - 11/18/17 05:33 PM

Need some help on type and size line needed.
And favorite ways you guys like to fish jigs.
Thanks!
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Swim jigs - 11/18/17 05:38 PM

20 seaguar invis x
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Swim jigs - 11/18/17 05:52 PM

20# McCoys Mean Green or in a pinch, 20# big game. Prefer McCoys because of abrasion resistance and strength. I like a slow rolling swim jig. I prefer the 6th Sense Divine Swim Jig a very bad mother! Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Swim jigs - 11/18/17 06:22 PM

Swim jigs, so versatile, but my favorite way is to cast them about 10ft past some deep trees and let them fall on a semi slack line. Also good just barely gliding slowly hopping them off the bottom. Swimming through grass and shallow brush

Hack attack swim jig
Trailer or your choice

30-50lb Braid mainline to 6ft of 17lb pline cxx leader

Re: Swim jigs - 11/18/17 07:10 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Swim jigs - 11/18/17 09:00 PM

40 lb braid, only thing I fish them on
Posted By: bubbaque

Re: Swim jigs - 11/18/17 10:28 PM

17 lb Suffix Seige, in eel grass rip and fall
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Swim jigs - 11/19/17 12:15 AM

I like using Dirty Jigs swim jigs, they have good color options, different hook size for the type of fishing you need to do for different depth, cover etc. I use 15-20# seaguar invisx flouro depending on the swim jig weight, hook size and cover you're fishing it around. Throw a LFT magic shad as a trailer for a change of pace from the regular boot-tail, or a rage tail menace.

Many different ways to fish them. Experiment to see what the fish want on any given day.

PS, they skip under docks well too.
Posted By: The_ProFISHional

Re: Swim jigs - 11/19/17 12:51 AM

I throw my swim jigs on 15lb mono Trilene Big Game. LFT makes awesome shad like profile swimbaits I often use as a trailer on my swim jig.
Posted By: TG903

Re: Swim jigs - 11/19/17 01:56 AM

I've been catching a lot on a brown bitsy bug with watermelon seed zoom swimmin chunk trailer, 17lb vicious fluro. I've mostly caught em working through laydowns and swimmin around moss.

Arkie has a platinum swim jig that comes with a nice trailer, I caught a 5lber on one back in September, swimmin around hydrilla.

Re: Swim jigs - 11/19/17 02:10 AM

Awesome advice
Thanks!
Posted By: Nekro

Re: Swim jigs - 11/19/17 03:39 AM

I used 20lb braid to a 17lb fluro leader
Posted By: CowboyVet

Re: Swim jigs - 11/19/17 06:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Thad Rains
20# McCoys Mean Green or in a pinch, 20# big game. Prefer McCoys because of abrasion resistance and strength. I like a slow rolling swim jig. I prefer the 6th Sense Divine Swim Jig a very bad mother! Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

What trailers do you feel match up best with the jigs for a shad imitation and bluegill imitation?
Posted By: 361V

Re: Swim jigs - 11/19/17 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: CowboyVet

What trailers do you feel match up best with the jigs for a shad imitation and bluegill imitation?**********Try 6th Sense Devine Swim Jig in Cajun Bluegill: https://www.6thsenselures.com/swimjig?gc...uxoCHOkQAvD_BwE and Lake Fork Tackle Live Magic Shad in Bluegill color: http://www.lftlures.com/catalog/lft-live-magic-shad thumb
Posted By: billclay

Re: Swim jigs - 11/19/17 03:08 PM

Lethal Weapon Lures swim jigs are awesome. They have a light wire and a heavy wire version and they are very well made. I fish the light wire one on either 15lb braid/10lb fluoro leader or straight 8lb fluoro with some kind of double tail craw trailer. I drag it or slow roll it in up 10ft of water. It comes through cover really well and it will catch fish.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Swim jigs - 11/19/17 04:57 PM

I use 16# and 20# FC Sniper. I prefer to fish them over grass, through buckbrush, and through lily pads.

Re: Swim jigs - 11/19/17 04:58 PM

I like the LFT Live Magic shad and the Rage menace, they both work well. I also use swimming flukes and GY swiming senkos, but those do not last as long as others (GY). Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Neches

Re: Swim jigs - 11/19/17 07:50 PM

Educate me. What benefit do you get out of using a leader on a swim jig?

Re: Swim jigs - 11/19/17 11:53 PM

It’s mostly a confidence thing

Less visible than braid

I like the idea of breaking up the line (similar to how some fishermen will sharpie 1ft staggered increments the last 10ft of line)

Doesn’t saw as much as straight braid on wood

Adds some forgiveness for close to the boat final surges/last second digging

It’s cost effective in the long run—just replace leaders throughout the year and reverse the braid mainline every year or two
Posted By: B.Byars

Re: Swim jigs - 11/20/17 04:53 PM

v&m swim jig with keitech or rage craw on 50# braid or 20# flouro. fish it just like a spinner/chatter/rattle trap....slow roll, swim it, stop and go, and stroke it.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Swim jigs - 11/21/17 02:42 PM

What weight swim jig do you throw the most?
Posted By: Mike TT

Re: Swim jigs - 11/21/17 03:15 PM

www.jigsbass.com

Re: Swim jigs - 11/21/17 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
What weight swim jig do you throw the most?

1/2oz, followed by 3/4oz (I throw them a lot around deep timber; also find the heavier jigs get deeper in vegetation and get through lily pads easier)
Posted By: skeeterdale

Re: Swim jigs - 11/21/17 04:27 PM

I throw few different types, love the strike king combined with a Rage Tail Swimmer for open and grassy areas with Invisx 17. Then the Booyah 1/2 oz with a Rage Tail menace grub and almost always white on both around wood fishing laydowns, I like mono for this application and the winged head on the Booyah jig, I think it comes through the brush cleaner than most. Usually a 7' rod in med heavy.
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Swim jigs - 11/21/17 04:51 PM

14# FC if the hooks are light wire

20# FC if they're heavy wire

50# or higher braid if fishing them in heavy cover/docks when 20# FC won't cut it (which is rare)

Re: Swim jigs - 11/23/17 05:13 AM

Fished again today and caught a 5, 2 4's and 3 3's on the wim jig. Also caught 2 smaller fish, but missed 3 that bit hard, but never connected. GREAT BAIT with teh trialer we were using. I throw 3/8s the most. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good lcuk.

Thad Rains
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum