Texas Fishing Forum

Worm fishing with Braid

Posted By: DBFishing83

Worm fishing with Braid - 11/16/17 04:00 PM

Pros & Cons to worm fishing with braided line ?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/16/17 04:22 PM

There are no cons. Spool up an old Abu with 65# braid and chunk a Texas rig in a brush pile. Can’t do that with mono.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/16/17 04:26 PM

The major con I've noticed is wind. If it's windy you need heavier than normal weight to keep the wind from catching braid like a sail. Everything else I like about it
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/16/17 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
There are no cons. Spool up an old Abu with 65# braid and chunk a Texas rig in a brush pile. Can’t do that with mono.

Yeah you can, but you may not get her out when she bites! roflmao
Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/16/17 05:58 PM

depending on the water clarity, and what kind of cover you are fishing, you might not get as many bites as you would with flouro or mono.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/16/17 06:00 PM

You won’t get as many bites as mono and especially flouro... no might about it.
Posted By: over the hill @PK

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/16/17 06:46 PM

braid for punching grass,pads and such but not in trees .It cuts into the wood and hangs up bad

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/16/17 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: GROD

... WHY ? ....
Not disputing the statement, just want to understand the statement better.

Originally Posted By: Butch @PK
braid for punching grass,pads and such but not in trees .It cuts into the wood and hangs up bad

Thank You ....this has the WHY attached ...
Posted By: furim2

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/16/17 07:09 PM

Braid holds water. Freezes up the guides and the spool in winter. Like the guy said, forget it if the wind's blowing.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/16/17 07:28 PM

There is always a noise involved with the braid coming through the water, I feel like fish can hear this. I also feel like it is more visible to the fish. It is fine in the grass and pads since it blends in to the surroundings, but open water and trees it seems to stand out. I am not saying that it doesnt work in every situation, but I have developed my own prejudices to it in certain situations (and I need all the excuses I can find lately).
Posted By: LearnedHat

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/16/17 07:34 PM

tie on a fluoro leader -- FG or blood knot.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/16/17 09:10 PM

Imo it makes no difference in bites on most East Texas lakes especially Rayburn, Toledo, Palestine. Brush piles and flipping stumps it's a no brainier. You know they are coming to the boat with braid
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/17/17 01:12 AM

I know I sound like a broken record, but BASS & FLW banned the A-Rig - a clear water technique because it was too effective. And it looks like a wad of coat hangers coming thru the water column. I have no doubt that the bass can see & hear braid - just like they can the A-Rig. They can also hear and see 2 treble hooks on a crankbait, but they hit it. If the bait looks real & the presentation is correct, IMO They will bite. I know & have heard all of the stories about how many have proved it to themselves that their catch rate improved with fluoro/mono. I suggest that is totally offset by the times they got skunked using the same technique.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/17/17 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum
depending on the water clarity, and what kind of cover you are fishing, you might not get as many bites as you would with flouro or mono.

I used to think that but I fish 65 lb braid at PK and Amistad every time I go and catch as many fish as anyone else.
I just don't think that a fish that is willing to eat a 6" piece of plastic or a 1/2 oz jig cares much.

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/17/17 01:41 AM

I completely agree that braid may cost you bites in super clear water versus Flo but Let's see what one of the best in the business says:

http://bassblaster.rocks/greg-hackneys-braid-flipping-system
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/17/17 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: furim2
Braid holds water. Freezes up the guides and the spool in winter. Like the guy said, forget it if the wind's blowing.

The braid with 4 fibers woven to make the line ("4 core") tends to flatten out, and is the most popular/original design. This is why wind can catch it. The newer "8 core" lines use smaller fibers that fit more closely together. This allows the finished line to hold its round shape much better. The 8 core lines are therefore more manageable in wind. They are also smoother, so they don't make nearly as much noise going through guides as 4 core lines. There is also less void space between fibers, so it should hold less water and therefore not be as prone to freeze-up.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/17/17 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: GROD

I'm not saying I'm against what you're saying, as I have braid on all my rods.. But at the same time, I remember using 12# Zebco mono and catching just as many as the next guy..

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/17/17 03:09 AM

God I love it when a thread takes on a life of it's own and just evolves.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/17/17 05:16 AM

Braid scares bass but bass eat buzzbaits, a-rigs, and 14 inch purple worms.

Let's think about this.

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/17/17 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan90210 ☮
Braid scares bass but bass eat buzzbaits, a-rigs, and 14 inch purple worms.

Let's think about this.

here is the rationale behind this argument ....... & if you are trying to debate it with someone to prove your point ,,,,,, it is a good argument ,,, "IF" you truly want to believe it:
when fishing with a buzz bait, A-Rig or even a rattle trap,,,,, you are basically fishing for a different "fish" than when you are fishing with a Texas Rigged worm. The former three baits are used for aggressive, suspended or even schooling bass that are actively feeding and could even possible be in a group of fish ,,,,,, the theory is those bass are like a buck n rut ,,,,,,, they are READY to eat who cares what it is or what it is tied to.
*** when fishing with a weighted T-Rig you are basically looking for a singular fish that is about ready to eat and just looking for a snack and they are a little more picky about size, shape, color, rate of drop, how far you move it, how you move it "AND" what it is hanging from or what it is tied to ....... thus the comments about fewer bites than you get with mono or flouro.
Depends on which side of the discussion you are on:
12g or 20g
Ford or Chevy or RAM
Gas or Diesel
Lab or Spaniel
Black or White
Braid or Mono or Flouro
I will say the biggest fish I have ever caught was with braid --- spinnerbait on Falcon --- jig on Fork --- wacky senko on El Salto
I will also say that I was not worried about those guys breaking the 65# braid I was using at the time ,,,, so horse them in id did.
there have been fish I hooked that I did not get to the boat because the line broke ,,,,, and before you say it --- yes I know, I should have "played" them better and the line would not have broke......AND those were probably the one extra bite I got using non-braid line that day.
Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/17/17 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Swimbait
I know I sound like a broken record, but BASS & FLW banned the A-Rig - a clear water technique because it was too effective. And it looks like a wad of coat hangers coming thru the water column. I have no doubt that the bass can see & hear braid - just like they can the A-Rig. They can also hear and see 2 treble hooks on a crankbait, but they hit it. If the bait looks real & the presentation is correct, IMO They will bite. I know & have heard all of the stories about how many have proved it to themselves that their catch rate improved with fluoro/mono. I suggest that is totally offset by the times they got skunked using the same technique.

AGREE!!!! Pure braid.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/17/17 02:11 PM

I use a 6 foot leader with braid, i think it helps from digging into wood and wrapping around limbs etc.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/17/17 02:28 PM

If the water is clear I usually stray away from using any sort of braid. But if the water has some color to it, I don't see the problem in using braid, especially if you're fishing timber.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/17/17 03:03 PM

I have a buddy that uses only braid and I consistently out catch him using flouro. Did it have anything to do with the lines? I don't know. I have no scientific data to back it up only my experiences on the water. I think the guy who talked about a moving bait vs slow presentation sounds most reasonable to me. I don't like braid and only use it where I feel it's absolutely necessary.

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/17/17 03:29 PM

Braid is a Tool just like a phillips-heads screwdriver is a tool. Fluorocarbon is another tool. Doesn't make either one of them better or worse than the other.

Confidence is the single most important factor in bass fishing in my opinion. If you have confidence in a tool and a technique, you will catch fish. If you don't, you probably won't. Pretty simple.

I have a love-hate relationship with braid but I still use it for several applications because I feel it is the best tool for that particular job. Its a pain in the wind. It wraps around your rod tip and knots up. It is a pain to pick out a backlash with it. It is noisy going thru the rod guides. It has a mind all its own BUT it is brutally strong for its diameter.

Would I use straight braid in very clear water for T-rigging? No sir.

Do I use straight 65 braid at a place like Camelot Bell? Absolutely!

Does it cost me bites at CB? Maybe... A couple of Big Bass experts swear they get more bites on FLO or Mono. The owner of the place has fished the lake 50 times more than anyone else and he says he catches just as many fish on straight 65 braid as he does on "moneyfilleemint" as he calls it. hmmm

But I am willing to trade off due to the potential of what may latch onto my worm at that place. I haven't caught a Giant at CB yet but I did get a 15 pounder with my jig tied straight to 65# Braid.....
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Worm fishing with Braid - 11/17/17 09:22 PM

I have one reel with braid for flipping reeds, willows and heavy brush. Everything else is either flouro or mono. Caught a 14.19 using 17 lb. Trilene so not too concerned about mono or flouro breaking. Keep good line, re-tie often and use the right strength for the type of fishing you're doing. Tried throwing a double willow leaf spinner bait one time with braid and the wind blew it right back at me. I'm just not a fan of braid especially with all the wind we have and fairly clear water but it's strictly my opinion and my rod and reels.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum