Texas Fishing Forum

Crank Bait

Posted By: BCBassCat

Crank Bait - 11/16/17 02:48 PM

I was fishing Ray Roberts Saturday and just decided to try something different and it ended up working out (which rarely seems to happen). Tied on this deep diver and BAM started catching some. About 5 casts after this one I caught a another one, then I go to cast and SNAP there goes my crank bait off in the distance. I took this picture to send to my brother to make him jealous. It ended up costing me... When I went back and looked at the picture I think I know why I lost the crank bait. Any guesses? Can anybody tell what brand crank this is?

Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Crank Bait - 11/16/17 02:51 PM

Should have re-tied that Norman! Nice catch.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Crank Bait - 11/16/17 02:52 PM

Oh and it should have floated when you slung it off, did you go look for it?
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Crank Bait - 11/16/17 02:54 PM

Old style Norman DD22 is what it looks like to me. I am guessing you were using light line. I never go below 17# on anything.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Crank Bait - 11/16/17 02:57 PM

It's a dd22. It still floating out there somewhere unless it's in the trees

Re: Crank Bait - 11/16/17 03:02 PM

I was using 17 lbs trilene flouro. There's something in the picture that told me what I "think" I did wrong. Definitely should've retied.
Posted By: jackwabbit

Re: Crank Bait - 11/16/17 03:09 PM

looks like the line is wrapped around the bill?
Posted By: Tracker Tim

Re: Crank Bait - 11/16/17 03:29 PM

Line cut into the bass. You would still have your lure if you cranked with big game.
Posted By: hookinbass

Re: Crank Bait - 11/16/17 03:31 PM

When cranking always check your line every cast.. Don't want to break off the fish of a lifetime
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Crank Bait - 11/16/17 03:33 PM

Could have sank if it was the suspending one..
Posted By: DaveS

Re: Crank Bait - 11/16/17 03:36 PM

Your knot was in the gap of the split ring. Make sure the knot is 180 degrees from the gap.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Crank Bait - 11/16/17 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: DaveS
Your knot was in the gap of the split ring. Make sure the knot is 180 degrees from the gap.

This is why I really like the "split oval" line connectors over the rings; the knot is never on the gap where it could get cut.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Crank Bait - 11/16/17 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: jackwabbit
looks like the line is wrapped around the bill?

+1, especially if bill was roughed up.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Crank Bait - 11/16/17 05:26 PM

You either damaged the line on the fishes back scales, or you tied the knot where the ends of the split ring meet instead of the smooth part of the ring.

Re: Crank Bait - 11/16/17 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: dmr183
Oh and it should have floated when you slung it off, did you go look for it?

It actually flew up onto the rocks by the railroad track. I thought really hard about trying to go get it but I was by myself and it was getting late so I left. I could probably go back and find it...
Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum

Re: Crank Bait - 11/16/17 05:51 PM

that's either a norman deep little n, dd14, or dd22, if it had a big bill it was the dd22, if you liked it I highly recommend the dd22 HD

Re: Crank Bait - 11/16/17 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
You either damaged the line on the fishes back scales, or you tied the knot where the ends of the split ring meet instead of the smooth part of the ring.

This was what I was thinking at first. But now with all these other eye's seeing something else I'm not sure. That's why I like this place.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Crank Bait - 11/16/17 07:30 PM

Agree, Norman DD22, the bill goes straight back and no indentations. Old school DD22 and the line is roughed up outside it's mouth and probably inside it's mouth too. Retie OFTEN and you won't run into this situation as often. GOOD fish, congrats. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Crank Bait - 11/20/17 02:22 AM

I thought it was a deep little N. It looks too small to me to be a DD22 compared to the head of the bass unless that is an 8+ bass.

Re: Crank Bait - 11/20/17 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
I thought it was a deep little N. It looks too small to me to be a DD22 compared to the head of the bass unless that is an 8+ bass.

Norman was correct and the picture is deceiving due to I zoomed in and screen shot it. Only a 4 pounder maybe 5...
Posted By: Worm Dunk

Re: Crank Bait - 11/21/17 01:35 AM

+1
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum