Texas Fishing Forum

Reasonably priced rain gear?

Posted By: the skipper

Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/11/17 02:49 AM

I know people ask what the best is often but what do y'all think the best rain suit is that's not the top dollar gear? I'm wanting to get my dad some for Christmas. He's really a fair weather fisherman and doesn't do the cold or rain enough to justify a top dollar gore tex suit. I had a gander mtn suit but it didn't last very good. The H2O express suits don't look to bad. Is there any good black Friday deals or thoughts on a good suit for close to $300
Posted By: John Anderson

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/11/17 03:15 AM

I do have the 100MPH gear but have used many times the H20 from Academy and they are good as well. Just buy one size bigger so that your fully covered. It also allows for winter clothes to go underneath.
Posted By: jfdawson

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/11/17 03:24 AM

IMO,

The "Huk Packable rain gear" is pretty nice for "fair" weather ( 65+ degrees )

https://www.hukgear.com/collections/rain-gear

I have both the Simms ProDry and the Huk set. For $200 ( $100 for the Jacket/ $100 for the pants ) the HUK set is really nice.

Good Luck!
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/11/17 03:27 AM

I have the frabill g2 set was around 260 for the set when I got it last year. Really like the suit and it's hold in up really well..
Posted By: ETxRT

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/11/17 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
I have the frabill g2 set was around 260 for the set when I got it last year. Really like the suit and it's hold in up really well..

I'll second the Frabil F2, if you look around you can find them at a good price, the quality it good and it holds up.
Posted By: SWH

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/11/17 03:42 AM

What’s the difference in the 100mph or comparable suits and ski bibs?
Posted By: m.sherman

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/11/17 09:48 AM

if u want a lite weight rain suit gravel gear from northern tool has a package rain gear for a 79.00 for the top and bottom
alot of bang for your buck i have one had it about 8 months so far no complaints i also have a 100 mph suit for when it is colder and i need some thing heavier

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/11/17 12:25 PM

Thanks guys. Looking at the frabil f2 or f3 the sizes are very limited and I can't find the right size.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/11/17 12:40 PM

I got mine off Amazon it took a little searching but was worth the time.spent looking imo I got the f2 so I could wear it year around and just layer under accordingly to weather.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/11/17 04:16 PM

Not that the BPS 100 mph suit is reasonably priced but it is a great suit if the weather is below 65 degrees. It is a little heavy and after wearing it all day you can feel it in your shoulders. I wore mine with some layers underneath on our ski trip to Montana last spring. We rode snowmobiles on a day that the high temp was 15 and I was never cold.

Sorry for the pic. It was a really steep mountain. LOL

I wear a Columbia rain suit on days when it is warmer than 65.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/11/17 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: scott123456789

The BPS 100 mph suit and Cabelas Guidewear is equal. If you watch Cabelas online you can sometimes get it for half price.
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/11/17 05:39 PM

Look in the bargain cave at Cabelas online. Sometimes they have last years models for half price. Ask me how I know that!!!
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

The BPS 100 mph suit and Cabelas Guidewear is equal. If you watch Cabelas online you can sometimes get it for half price.
Posted By: SWH

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/11/17 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

But I’m taking about regular old ski bibs.
Posted By: Bassfisher6704

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/11/17 06:57 PM

I like the BPS Bone Dry Gear it’s awesome

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/11/17 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Bassfisher6704
I like the BPS Bone Dry Gear it’s awesome

That looks pretty good. Thanks.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/11/17 10:49 PM

Academy H2O Express Bibs & Jacket....best $120 I've ever spent.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/12/17 12:53 AM

Simms Challenger is nice but it's $199 each for the bibs and jacket. Probably better options close to $300 especially if you can catch a sale.

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/12/17 01:10 AM

I'm hoping to catch a good black Friday online sale so I'm getting some options to look for
Posted By: lucky55

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/12/17 02:17 AM

I got my Cabela's gortex on a half price sale online back in February. thumb
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/12/17 06:34 PM

H20 are fine got a set last year totally satisfied with them. For 150 bucks they are more than adequate and really cut the cold wind and rain. Haven’t been in a downpoor but ain’t fishin when it’s poring rain.
150 for average joe is good as far as I am concerned.
J D
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/12/17 06:51 PM

Size M, $75 If you want them
Posted By: itsjustfishing

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/13/17 04:39 PM

I've tried quite a few over the years and there are some nice ones, but the Cabela' Guidewear is the finest in my opinion. Quality! Not sure you can put a price tag on staying warm and dry. Like one guy said you can find them on sale and in the bargain cave from time to time.
Posted By: Chetatkinsdiet

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/13/17 05:27 PM

Simms Challenger set was on sale at www.backcountry.com a week or so ago. I think it still is. I got the set for just under $300.
Posted By: Ol'geezer

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/14/17 03:15 PM

I just bought Frabill F2 at www.fieldsupply.com for $43 they had others at different prices -- BEST PRICES I found -- brand new
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/14/17 05:30 PM

Cabelas PacLite

cheapest Goretex I've found. I have a set that's lasted me over 10 years

100mph/Guidewear is much better but if you want cheap, the Paclite will keep you dry
Posted By: Arkansas10 bass

Re: Reasonably priced rain gear? - 11/14/17 06:27 PM

I like frogg toggs light weight.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum