Texas Fishing Forum

Possum kingdom

Posted By: RudiTexas

Possum kingdom - 11/09/17 05:11 AM

Have been fishing PK the past couple weekends with some good (and bad) luck. I’m prefishing for my upcoming highschool tournament in two weekends. When fishing this lake I’ve grown up on it since we have a lake house out there but Since I’ve only had a boat for the past couple months this is my first time ever really fishing this lake. I have kayak fished the cove we have a house in a lot with good luck and I have driven jet skis around this lake forever but never truly fished it. These past weekends I have really figured out something about this lake and that is there are fish everywhere. What do y’all do when pre fishing and you catch good fish in almost every spot you try? There’s almost like no pattern to where I catch my fish. Whether it’s long main lake points, short secondary points, main lake lay downs, wood in the back of creeks, big boulders mainlake, grassy coves or secondary brush I’m catching fish. How do you guys truly get a “pattern” going when there are fish biting mostly all places? Sorry for the long write up but a lot of you guys on here have more knowledge than I ever will.. just curious on what you do to break it down. Here two fish we caught back to back so of course I had to take a picture.....
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Possum kingdom - 11/09/17 12:31 PM

Just like you said, you know your little cove where your house is because you have spent time on it over and over. Now you just gotta keep learning new spots.
Posted By: pkskeetersr

Re: Possum kingdom - 11/09/17 01:39 PM

Keep doing what you are doing and you will be fine I have fished pk many years and guided here looks like you will do good
Posted By: gborg

Re: Possum kingdom - 11/09/17 01:55 PM

No pattern, as stated above, stay with what works. We don't fish for BB ,however, fish the lake for
Stripers and ketch a lot of BB in the process. The BB are always close to the bait , regardless of the depth.
Posted By: Bonedoc

Re: Possum kingdom - 11/09/17 02:07 PM

There are usually going to be multiple patterns on any given day. Always go with your gut instincts and do what you have confidence in. Tournament days can be different than practice days and they usually are as conditions change. Let the fish tell you what they want wether its pitching soft plastic, square bill, top water etc. Good luck.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Possum kingdom - 11/09/17 03:05 PM

Where I come from "catching fish everywhere" is a pattern! The best pattern you could have! For real! Must be that "new" graph! :-)
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Possum kingdom - 11/09/17 03:48 PM

If you're catching fish everywhere you fish then you're confidence is a huge plus. It means YOU have the ability to fish where the fish ARE. Capitalize on that ability. To save as many of your fish for actual tournaments, take the trebles off your crankbaits, sacrifice some jigs & cut the hook off (leave trailer keeper on)then keep them only for practice before the tournaments. Not sticking the fish you are targeting DURING the tournament sometimes is a HUGE advantage. You're just checking to SEE if they're still there & WILL take what you're throwing still. They will reveal themselves WITHOUT getting soremouthed. You have a HUGE advantage already. Mental confident can be 100% of the difference in fishing tournaments & WINNING tournaments stick with what's been working for YOU!!! Save em for the tournaments by not sticking em during practice. Good luck & stay safe out there.
Posted By: Firebassin

Re: Possum kingdom - 11/09/17 05:45 PM

I would run and gun on tournament day until you find better quality

Re: Possum kingdom - 11/10/17 04:30 AM

Yes sir thank you so much for it!! It’s behind my right foot so you can’t see it but thing runs like a champ!! Thank you again!
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Possum kingdom - 11/10/17 04:39 AM

Like another said run and gun tournament day. But your pattern/spots needs to broke down to where your better quality fish are. That’s winning fish. Don’t sore mouth all your fish. Just check to make sure they’re still there. Could change week to week on any day.

Re: Possum kingdom - 11/10/17 05:07 AM

Yeah every time I’ve found good fish I leave it, I’m just curious on how you guys break down into patterns. I’ve got a good plan for next weekend and I’m very excited for it..
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Possum kingdom - 11/10/17 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: RudiTexas
Yeah every time I’ve found good fish I leave it, I’m just curious on how you guys break down into patterns. I’ve got a good plan for next weekend and I’m very excited for it..

You are obviously on a lot of good fish. Try not to over think it. Just go fishing and go with what your "gut" is telling you to do. be prepared to have company on some of the spots you have found. There are a lot of teams fishing.

One thing I like that you said is "you have a plan". That shows you have put in the work. you have prepared. not a lot of teams do this. one saying I grew up with was " Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail".

have a secondary plan for when/If you have people on the water you want to fish.

The thing I love about tournaments are the "ups and downs"!
your day can start out so bad that you question yourself, but one cast can change it to the best tournamennt you have ever fished. good luck.

as far as "breaking down water" just throw what they are really hammering. its tough to pattern them when they are eating everything. There are small details you need to watch for when you catch the better fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum