Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Waco Report Before the Front

Posted By: Txfiremn

Lake Waco Report Before the Front - 11/08/17 01:24 PM

I know Lake Waco isn't talked about much here but it's my home lake and there are a few of us on here that fish it. So here is my report from yesterday. I was able to get out on the water before the front blew and wind blew in and had a good time. The water is obviously still pretty low, so I tried to find shallower water with deep water close by. I fished mostly rip rap and rock cliffs yesterday and it paid off. I put 8 in the boat using a watermelon red Yum Dinger T-rigged but caught a nice 5.7 lbs bass on top water, which surprised me because I've never had luck on Waco with top water, but she smashed it. She was bleeding some but I got her back in the water ASAP. She did swim away okay and never resurfaced. I came back later and didn't find her.

Posted By: cz tim

Re: Lake Waco Report Before the Front - 11/08/17 01:43 PM

Thanks for the report. I'm going to give it a try soon. As well, my topwater success/experience on Waco has been minimal
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Lake Waco Report Before the Front - 11/08/17 01:55 PM

Sic'em!
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: Lake Waco Report Before the Front - 11/08/17 01:59 PM

Nice report TXfiremn and glad you got a nice top water fish.

I plan to hit it tomorrow.

Sic ‘em!

Re: Lake Waco Report Before the Front - 11/08/17 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: texasAUtiger
Nice report TXfiremn and glad you got a nice top water fish.

I plan to hit it tomorrow.

Sic ‘em!

Thank you. I'll probably be out there again tomorrow myself, as soon as I get off shift and home. With the lake as low as it is, a lot of the "deep" timber isn't deep at all. So, find deeper coves, rip rap, and deep points is about the only thing left to fish. I know there are marinas but I've never had much luck except for dinks there.
Posted By: Rob W.

Re: Lake Waco Report Before the Front - 11/08/17 03:35 PM

Thanks for the report. Our bass club is fishing there this weekend. cheers

Re: Lake Waco Report Before the Front - 11/09/17 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Rob W.
Thanks for the report. Our bass club is fishing there this weekend. cheers

Good luck, I hope it helps.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Lake Waco Report Before the Front - 11/09/17 01:40 AM

Very nice job. Thanks for sharing a great report.
Posted By: lucky55

Re: Lake Waco Report Before the Front - 11/09/17 03:01 AM

Nice catch!
I have been going to Waco lately too but with no luck yet, couple of dinks only.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Lake Waco Report Before the Front - 11/09/17 03:11 AM

I catch a lot of fish on top water on Waco. I was out there the same day and caught 13 but no big ones.

Re: Lake Waco Report Before the Front - 11/09/17 10:44 PM

I went out from 8:30 to 12:30 today and got 16, with 5 that were 2.5-3 pounds. I'd guess about 6 of them were on topwater. Perfect day for it---cool and cloudy with a little mist later in the morning.

Water was 60-62.
Posted By: lucky55

Re: Lake Waco Report Before the Front - 11/10/17 03:46 AM

I went out from 8:30 to 12:30 today and got 16, with 5 that were 2.5-3 pounds. I'd guess about 6 of them were on topwater. Perfect day for it---cool and cloudy with a little mist later in the morning.

Water was 60-62.

16 in 4 hours, I haven't seen 16 total from all my times at Waco so far, holy [censored] I'm doing something wrong. I need to go fishing with you! bang

Re: Lake Waco Report Before the Front - 11/10/17 08:31 AM

Originally Posted By: lucky55

Water was 60-62.

16 in 4 hours, I haven't seen 16 total from all my times at Waco so far, holy [censored] I'm doing something wrong. I need to go fishing with you! bang

I hear ya. Trust me, I’ve gone out for 6-8 hours and only gotten 3 or 4 several times since Aug. but yesterday was the perfect storm weather-wise. Maybe the switch has flipped for a fall pattern with this cold snap?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lake Waco Report Before the Front - 11/10/17 10:57 AM

Nice fish! Good job. cheers

Re: Lake Waco Report Before the Front - 01/21/18 01:57 AM

Not wanting to start a new thread, did anyone go out today? How did you do?
Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing

Re: Lake Waco Report Before the Front - 01/21/18 07:54 PM

Nope, was down on LBJ yesterday, fighting the other two hundred boats for a check.
Was going to go out today (Sunday) but the wind was up and a chance of thunderstorms.

Did you knock them dead ??
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: Lake Waco Report Before the Front - 01/21/18 09:16 PM

Hope to be fishing there more often as son wants to go to TSTC starting in fall.

Re: Lake Waco Report Before the Front - 01/21/18 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing
Nope, was down on LBJ yesterday, fighting the other two hundred boats for a check.
Was going to go out today (Sunday) but the wind was up and a chance of thunderstorms.

I went out today just before the front hit. I could graph them but couldn't get them to bite. I also saw lots of shad balls. Then the high winds came and was giving my Ipilot hell so I called it a day. No fish. How was LBJ?
Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing

Re: Lake Waco Report Before the Front - 01/21/18 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Txfiremn
Originally Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing

I went out today just before the front hit. I could graph them but couldn't get them to bite. I also saw lots of shad balls. Then the high winds came and was giving my Ipilot hell so I called it a day. No fish. How was LBJ?

Fishing TTZ, lots of boats stacked up on spots. We were #125 and when we got to the first four spots we wanted to fish, there were already 2 boats on each.
We caught two fish for 5.7 lbs.
water was 49-50 degrees every where we went.
Kinda reminded me of Waco, as the wind picked up, the chop got higher and higher.
One fish caught on a rattletrap the other on t rigged red worm.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum