Texas Fishing Forum

Any ultralight folks here?

Posted By: Jim Ford

Any ultralight folks here? - 11/07/17 10:08 PM

I normally fly fish, and I prefer to go light or ultralight when I can. I have a winter spot for specks that often requires heavy flies; the trout often hold deep and the tides run pretty strong there. Normally I use a 2 weight and when I can, my half weight for specks. But those heavy Clousers mean I have to haul out the eight weight, which detracts from the fun. I don't really care for spinning reels, and I just bought an ultralight levelwind rig (Shimano Aldebaran BFS reel and a 6'-9" Daiwa rod rated for 3 lb. line). I put some light braid on it (not sure about hooksets in deep water with stretchy 4 lb. monofilament) and can cast a heavy Clouser with it. So now when the heavy flies come out, I can still fish with light gear. But now I'm thinking about using it for bass in some private ponds near the house, and I want to use some scaled-down plastics with it. I have seen some small worms, but have yet to find viable hooks. I'm thinking along the lines of light wire EWG style worm hooks, in about a size 4 or 6. I checked Gamakatsu's, VMC's, Mustad's, Daiichi's, Tiemco's, and Eagle Claw's sites, as well as some of the big warehouse sites. I found a few possible alternatives, but nothing exactly like what I had in mind. Do any of y'all know of a source for such hooks?
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Any ultralight folks here? - 11/09/17 01:24 AM

You can find Gamakatsu EWG offset shank worm hooks, size 4 and 6, on eBay. I use these with an old Eagle Claw model LWLW ultra-light worm rod, a Cardinal 3 spinning reel, and 4-inch Mister Twister or Charlie Campbell Slider worms for bass.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum