Texas Fishing Forum

Fork- Little Caney

Posted By: str1249

Fork- Little Caney - 11/06/17 12:57 AM

Been a while since I went up into Little Caney. What happened to all the lane markers?
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Fork- Little Caney - 11/06/17 01:22 AM

Lane markers in Little Caney? What decade were you up there last? I can't state much, because I have only been going out there 5 years or so. But there haven't been any up that way that whole time.
Posted By: redmojo

Re: Fork- Little Caney - 11/06/17 01:26 AM

I personally have never seen lane markers in little Caney. I have a little place in there and I'm glad they don't have markers.

Re: Fork- Little Caney - 11/06/17 01:38 AM

They didn't go all the way up, just part way. Then the trees showed the lane up to Hideaway.
Trees are gone, so it's like driving in an unlit parking lot with speedbumps! Oh well.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Fork- Little Caney - 11/06/17 01:50 AM

It’s a fine line...
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Fork- Little Caney - 11/06/17 01:54 AM

I remember the mannequin. That gal had some kind of wardrobe over the years.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Fork- Little Caney - 11/06/17 02:08 AM

The mannequin and the road cones have been gone for years
Posted By: Matt1212

Re: Fork- Little Caney - 11/06/17 02:14 AM

How accurate is the lanes chip? Mine marked just short of Hideway
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Fork- Little Caney - 11/06/17 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Matt1212

Boat Lanes chip is accurate, but how accurate is your GPS? A 10' error is a lot going up Little Caney.
Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: Fork- Little Caney - 11/06/17 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman

Boat Lanes chip is accurate, but how accurate is your GPS? A 10' error is a lot going up Little Caney.
is there a chip for garmin or a way to convert it for garmin?

Re: Fork- Little Caney - 11/06/17 02:45 AM

Ive ran it many times. Still makes me nervous though

Re: Fork- Little Caney - 11/06/17 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Not sure, only had Bird and Lowrance when I bought mine
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Fork- Little Caney - 11/06/17 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Last I checked they still only had 'Bird and Lowrance. However, yes... You can convert with some effort. I converted to my RayMarine unit.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Fork- Little Caney - 11/06/17 03:58 AM

I ran up and back little caney today using the boatlanes coordinates. My first time up that way. There is at least one big stump that is right in the boatlanes path. It is a quarter of the way up little caney coming from the dam side. It is before the visible heavy timber. I'll try to pull coordinates and post. I have it roughly marked. Be very careful. I idled through the trees on the way back out. Once you see one major hazzard right on the path, makes you really second guess the accuracy.

PS: For the most part I really like the boatlanes product. That is the first real flaw I have noticed. In no way trying to bash their product.
Posted By: ring fry

Re: Fork- Little Caney - 11/06/17 01:56 PM

Years ago there were buoys but they've been long gone. I think the problem was when the lake was low they would drift and SRA didn't want the liability.

SE Kansas grass grower
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: Fork- Little Caney - 11/06/17 10:28 PM

Lake fork needs new buoys on the whole lake. I wish they would make them a different color because white is hard to see sometimes with a little chop on the water.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Fork- Little Caney - 11/06/17 10:41 PM

All those boat lanes on the chip are safe when the lakes are at full pool, as lakes drop you are running at your own risk. That bottleneck on the Little Caney run is a mega pucker factor for sure, if your not 100% certain just idle through there and the rest is easy money. I wonder when watching people run it if thy really know whats down there... BIG stumps and lots of em!
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Fork- Little Caney - 11/06/17 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: crankbait745
Lake fork needs new buoys on the whole lake. I wish they would make them a different color because white is hard to see sometimes with a little chop on the water.

They are and when it's overcast too. The ones on Hawkins are orange and easy to see in any conditions but there are guide lines regarding the colors and markings on buoys so not sure what changes can be made. As far as running Little Caney I always run it between 3-5 MPH. A new SHO is too expensive. Cheaper to launch back there than to take a chance.
Posted By: LittleGazoo

Re: Fork- Little Caney - 11/07/17 07:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Tx Tree Grower
I ran up and back little caney today using the boatlanes coordinates. My first time up that way. There is at least one big stump that is right in the boatlanes path. It is a quarter of the way up little caney coming from the dam side. It is before the visible heavy timber. I'll try to pull coordinates and post. I have it roughly marked. Be very careful. I idled through the trees on the way back out. Once you see one major hazzard right on the path, makes you really second guess the accuracy.

PS: For the most part I really like the boatlanes product. That is the first real flaw I have noticed. In no way trying to bash their product.

Probably is this one: 32 50.215 N, 95 33.236 W
I think at one time it might have had a cone on it.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Fork- Little Caney - 11/07/17 12:20 PM

I've stated before but the BRA which controls Possum Kingdom has buoys that flash at night. They are the best markers I have ever seen. I wished Fork would take a look at doing something like that.

Re: Fork- Little Caney - 11/08/17 04:37 AM

Use to catch a lot of fish up in Little Caney, but we stayed at Hideaway then. Live by LF Marina now.
When we camped there, I never ran to the main lake cause it was a choice between fish where I was and maybe fish and a stump somewhere else. Thanks for the memories, thought I was gettin' senile.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum