Texas Fishing Forum

Dry Ribs or Wet

Posted By: ATXfisher

Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/10/13 09:21 PM

Just trying to get an idea of how many people prefer which
Posted By: breambuster

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/10/13 09:37 PM

Depends upon who is making them

Mine, I like both, wet or dry, but I don't use alot of dry seasoning, especially salt (if any at all on salt).

My grandfather, rest his soul, gave his wet recipe to me back in the early 70's - he was the Pitmaster for the Volunteer Fire Dept and served countless BBQ's for the county. Absolutely love his wet recipe!
Posted By: Ox190

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/10/13 09:40 PM

I glaze my ribs the last 90 minutes or so with a mango habanero glaze I've come up with. I try to leave them alone the last half hour to let the glaze set up, its not really wet but a little sticky.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/11/13 12:10 AM

That is a Memphis thing that I picked up on after living near there for over 20 years. They are good either way if cooked properly.
Posted By: Grant2

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/11/13 03:13 AM

I like a dry rub and mop them every hour with favorite mix.
Posted By: Luke57

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/11/13 11:05 AM

Dry rub sauce on the side
Posted By: tex0322

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/12/13 02:55 PM

Dry rub with sauce on the side. I spray mine with an apple juice mixture several times while cooking.
Posted By: Paul's Tackle Supply

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/17/13 12:00 AM

Dry, as long as they're nice and moist inside!
Posted By: Gonzz

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/18/13 12:16 AM

Dry...
Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/18/13 11:53 AM

You're in Texas. With us, barbecue is dry with the sauce on the side. Sauce is there to cover up the mistakes of a bad cook.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/18/13 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Kattelyn
You're in Texas. With us, barbecue is dry with the sauce on the side. Sauce is there to cover up the mistakes of a bad cook.

I, and thousands of others from the south, will have to disagree.
Many like ribs basted with a variety of mops while cooking. Many like the sauce mopped on at the end and caramelized. Some like sauce applied when served. It's kinda like the steak purist who condemns any condiment during or after cooking. After all is said and done, different strokes for different folks.
Posted By: tex0322

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/19/13 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: deucer02

I, and thousands of others from the south, will have to disagree.
Many like ribs basted with a variety of mops while cooking. Many like the sauce mopped on at the end and caramelized. Some like sauce applied when served. It's kinda like the steak purist who condemns any condiment during or after cooking. After all is said and done, different strokes for different folks.

I'm with you. I like some added at the end of the cook for pork ribs. Beef ribs I prefer dry with no sauce however.
Posted By: banderapass1

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/20/13 06:31 PM

BOTH...Dry if they are moist inside...if not-- sauce all over them..!
Posted By: banderapass1

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/20/13 06:34 PM

dry,boiled,baked,grilled,smoked... i'm not sure if there are bad ribs...
cook them right you do not need anything on them..
Posted By: cocodrie

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/21/13 05:57 PM

my personal preference is dry ribs, no sauce, and i agree that a majority of the time sauce on bbq is only for making bland food taste better. i hate going to places and people are saying, oh my gosh, the bbq sauce is so good. well no carp, hows the actual bbq? nothing is wrong with adding sauce and glazes to certain foods to bring out different flavors but texas bbq is dry. dry ribs, dry brisket, dry chicken, sauce on the side.

steaks are salt and pepper only, unless of course it's cheap meat and you need something to make it taste good.
Posted By: fish fear me

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/22/13 01:56 AM

Nothing will ruin good BBQ faster than dumping on too much sauce or rub.

Less is better.
Posted By: NTXYakR

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/22/13 02:36 AM

Dry Rub...2-2-1 at about 225 degrees on a smoker..Sauce covers up the flavor of the rub and the ribs do not absorb enough of the smoke for my preference.

If on the grill for some quick ribs or in the oven, then sauce is ok. IMO smile
Posted By: jeffnsa

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/22/13 11:43 AM

It depends on my mood if I want wet or dry. It also depends on the sauce and rub taht is being applied. This weekend I wanted ribs glazed in sweet baby rays along with some earl cambell hot links(grilled untill it splits open and gets a little char on it then fill the split up with bbq sauce). I like sweet sauces while others want that vinegar junk. You can never go wrong making half wet and half dry.
Posted By: YassirSanchez

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/22/13 07:21 PM

Whatever they do to them at Mt Zion Church in Huntsville.
Posted By: Aggeek

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/23/13 09:30 PM

Just salt and pepper and a lot of smoke. Good bbq doesn't need sauce wink
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/26/13 09:36 PM

Dry
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/27/13 02:31 AM

Just did my first salt&pepper brisket today, it was great! I usually mix up a rub from salt,pepper,mustard,garlic powder,onion powder, brown sugar and chili powder. Simple is good.

On chicken and ribs I like the sauce cooked on and carmelized. Sticky, messy goodness!
Posted By: Tneel

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/27/13 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Ox190
I glaze my ribs the last 90 minutes or so with a mango habanero glaze I've come up with. I try to leave them alone the last half hour to let the glaze set up, its not really wet but a little sticky.

I've glazed my BBQ with Fischer&Wieser Pomegranate Mango Chipotle the last 30 min. for a long time.Good stuff!,plus it's made in Fredricksburg,Tx.
Posted By: joho5

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 05/28/13 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: YassirSanchez
Whatever they do to them at Mt Zion Church in Huntsville.

this!
Posted By: Chuck7700

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 06/17/13 01:51 PM

dry
Posted By: CatBoss

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 06/29/13 07:37 PM

Every time!!
With places like SoulMans,Texas Road Kill etc,folks just dont know any better.
Low 225*F,Slow 5-6hrs simple rub mix,texas oak and pecan mix 50/50 for smoke.
Wrap in foil for 30min while your heating beans and boiling corn.

Posted By: FlatsFisher613

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 07/01/13 06:38 AM

Dry with sauce on the side!
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 07/08/13 08:23 PM

if they are cooked right it doesnt matter to me but i dont like drowning out the flavor with sauce and if i use any sauce which is rare its very dang little as i like the smoke and seasoning flavors.

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 07/10/13 12:26 AM

Cook/smoke them dry with a rub and then baste with BBQ sauce toward the end being careful not to burn. Pretty dang good.
Posted By: bjfowle

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 07/10/13 08:28 PM

Dry rub only. Most of my family likes them with just the rub, but my father in law always puts sauce on them no matter how good they are. Of course he always uses steak sauce as well.

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 07/11/13 12:29 AM

Like them both. In each case, they need to be smoked for at least 2 1/2 hours and finished off over direct heat to your preference.
Posted By: J.Mays97

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 07/13/13 01:44 AM

I like them dry for the most part but like others have said it really just depends upon what I'm craving that day. I love BBQ and as long as it's cooked right I'm probably not going to complain about it just because it has some sauce on it. There are times where I like them with sauce and it's not because the BBQ is not cooked properly it's because that's what I'm craving that day.
Posted By: Sunup

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 07/15/13 12:55 AM

Dry thumb
Posted By: BIG ED nrh

Re: Dry Ribs or Wet - 07/16/13 01:53 AM

1/3 cup honey
1/4 BBQ sauce
1/4 apple juice
1/8 cup cider vinegar
1/8 cup bourbon

This is Roxy's rib glaze
Really good stuff!!!!