Texas Fishing Forum

Eating shark

Posted By: bill oxner

Eating shark - 06/13/11 12:01 AM

I just finished a great book called Unbroken. They went down in a B-24 in the Pacific ocean, and were adrift for over 5 weeks. They caught their first albatross and used it for bait. They ate their second albatross. Keep in mind that these men were starving. Sharks followed them everyday. They tailed a 4 foot shark, and ate only the liver. They threw the rest of the shark back. I could have lived a week off that shark, and gotten some hydration from it. (They were out of water) I've eaten shark. I've never kept but 2 in my life. Do you guys eat shark? Would you?
Posted By: always fishin

Re: Eating shark - 06/13/11 01:24 PM

heck yeah i love shark.some of the best eating there is imo.black tips are my favorite.
Posted By: RANDY WOOD

Re: Eating shark - 06/13/11 02:17 PM

Gut them and cut the tail off. Bleed them good. Sharks pee through there blood some how and if you don't bleed them they taste like shark pee. Serious

Marinate and grill
Posted By: scott01

Re: Eating shark - 06/13/11 03:57 PM

I've eaten quite a few sharks over the years. I can't remember a time when we didn't get a limit fishing offshore from a partry boat. Mostly Atlantic sharpnose (which are generally smaller in size) but we've caught some good blacktips too. Cut steaks, season and grill. Granted, we were able to grill them vs eating them raw out in the middle of the ocean, but I'm pretty sure I would eat it if I was hungry.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Eating shark - 06/13/11 08:37 PM

I would have ate the shark and thrown the liver out. Sharks release urine and waste through their livers. That's why you should always get rid of the liver as soon as possible if you plan to eat the shark. That had to be nasty. Taste like ammonia.
Posted By: breambuster

Re: Eating shark - 06/14/11 04:56 PM

As Randy and Landpirate mentioned, head, cut tail off and eviscerate them immediately for them to bleed out and remove ALL internal organs/intestinal tract so the meat will be fresh tasting and palatable. It is a must to do this, otherwise, good luck with that nasty shark meat.

Heck yea, eaten a many blacktip, Atlantic Sharpnose and Spinner sharks, haven't tried any others.
Posted By: crawdaddct

Re: Eating shark - 06/15/11 05:45 PM

We use to eat them when we were kids. I haven’t ate shark in a long time. My uncle would catch bull reds and sharks in the surf. I distinctly remember them bleeding the big reds and sharks. The shark would usually be grilled the same day. I remember it tasting good. I have caught sharks since then, but always release them.

Of course we also ate grilled turtles and alligators. About the only thing my Grandma would refuse to cook was possum, armadillos, and shoepick.

Posted By: Bass_Fishing_Girl

Re: Eating shark - 06/16/11 07:40 AM

Shark is delicious!
Sandra smile
Posted By: Sooner Claus

Re: Eating shark - 06/17/11 12:24 PM

Marinate a shark steak in Italian dressing and grill over your favorite kind of wood. Easy and delicious.
Posted By: hamster1

Re: Eating shark - 06/19/11 02:15 PM

Not one of the best but offers some really good white meat! I've been on friends boats when they didn't want to keep sharks. Says they'll stink up the other fish in the cooler. I've always bled them but havent thought about removing all the entrails.
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Eating shark - 07/16/11 08:13 PM

We caught some Atlantic sharpnose last year off SPI. We had them filleted and I grilled them with lemon pepper and butter. They were ok, but a little bland and rubbery.

Also, if I was adrift in the ocean full of sharks I sure wouldn't bleed one into the water. I would do exactly to him what his buddies plan to do to me. I would be more reluctant to eat the raw albatross.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Eating shark - 07/16/11 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: FWBanger
We caught some Atlantic sharpnose last year off SPI. We had them filleted and I grilled them with lemon pepper and butter. They were ok, but a little bland and rubbery.

Also, if I was adrift in the ocean full of sharks I sure wouldn't bleed one into the water. I would do exactly to him what his buddies plan to do to me. I would be more reluctant to eat the raw albatross.

This was one of the best books I've ever read. You should pick it up if you read.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum