Texas Fishing Forum

Fish fryer ideas??

Posted By: ~Moose~

Fish fryer ideas?? - 06/15/20 08:58 PM

I am looking at buying (or building) an outdoor fish frying station. Anyone have any pictures they can share so I can get some ideas? food
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 06/15/20 09:09 PM

i've had a couple electric fryers and they worked good when new, but wouldn't hold temp after they were a few years old. i'm back to old school dutch oven pot on a propane burner. i built a 5 burner outdoor stove a few years ago and it gets the cast iron plenty hot and being cast iron, it maintains the heat easily.
Posted By: 1956Zebco

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 06/15/20 09:37 PM

[Linked Image]

NuWave Induction Cooktop PIC (cook 6-9-1300 watts so you can even use a Honda 1000 on a boat).

The best thing IMO is pick the above up at Home Depot for $87 and get to it. Whatever temp you set to fry at it stays at it - no messing around - no waiting. Ours has lasted 6 years and we use it daily.
Posted By: wupbass

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 06/16/20 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by smooth move
i've had a couple electric fryers and they worked good when new, but wouldn't hold temp after they were a few years old. i'm back to old school dutch oven pot on a propane burner. i built a 5 burner outdoor stove a few years ago and it gets the cast iron plenty hot and being cast iron, it maintains the heat easily.

This! Get a dutch oven and you will not regret it. I see them all the time on my wife's facebook market place.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 06/16/20 02:36 PM

A propane Coleman camp stove and Dutch oven works great. I fry most fish that way at 375-390 degrees. Fry them till they float.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 06/16/20 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by fishslime
A propane Coleman camp stove and Dutch oven works great. I fry most fish that way at 375-390 degrees. Fry them till they float.

Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 06/16/20 11:13 PM

I've had this one for 10 years. Best you can buy...

https://cookingpotsnpans.com/kitchen-appliances/iwatani-35fw-portable-butane-stove-review/
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 06/17/20 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW

I have one almost identical to that one. I use with a can cooker, and like that one, it's 15K BTU. Depending on how much fish a cook wants to cook, that BTU may be rather slow. I've used a bigger propane burner with a 20# tank with it; it's 30K BTU, and much more suited for a large pot and a steady output of cooked fish.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 06/17/20 09:19 AM

Cajun Fryer, they work great and they don't burn the cornmeal
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 06/22/20 08:59 PM

I use a cast iron Dutch oven pot. I use a turkey pot burner. Same one I use to boil shrimp and crawfish. Got a good thermometer To keep the grease at the right temp. I had an aluminum pot but the cast iron is easier to keep the heat right!
Posted By: greenen

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 06/23/20 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Coolarrow
I use a cast iron Dutch oven pot. I use a turkey pot burner. Same one I use to boil shrimp and crawfish. Got a good thermometer To keep the grease at the right temp. I had an aluminum pot but the cast iron is easier to keep the heat right!

Truth
Posted By: SangerCrappieMan

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 06/25/20 08:41 PM

I use the aluminum pan that came with the fish fryer but the cornmeal burns at the bottom of the pan before I am done frying all of my fish and turns the oil dark.
Do you skim the oil in between each batch of fish that you put in there or is it burning just because it is aluminum?
Posted By: JAlfred

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 07/27/20 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1956Zebco
[Linked Image]

NuWave Induction Cooktop PIC (cook 6-9-1300 watts so you can even use a Honda 1000 on a boat).

The best thing IMO is pick the above up at Home Depot for $87 and get to it. Whatever temp you set to fry at it stays at it - no messing around - no waiting. Ours has lasted 6 years and we use it daily.

Thanks for the recommendation. Bought one of these last week. Tried it on crappie Sunday. Works great. Holds cooking oil temp just as you said. Also works well for simmering soups/stews.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 07/27/20 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by SangerCrappieMan
I use the aluminum pan that came with the fish fryer but the cornmeal burns at the bottom of the pan before I am done frying all of my fish and turns the oil dark.
Do you skim the oil in between each batch of fish that you put in there or is it burning just because it is aluminum?

I always run small fine mesh strainer through the oil between batches to keep moil as clear as possible and from burning. The aluminum pot would be likely to get too hot on the bottom to my thinking. Cast iron is the best and dutch ovens can be found cheap at garage sales.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 07/28/20 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit 200 XP
Run the oil thru filter and use again.
Posted By: 30ft jon boat

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 07/31/20 02:17 AM

i filter my oil with a reusable coffee filter and a beer brewing funnel with filter
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 07/31/20 11:51 AM

I used a Coleman stove and dutch oven for years, then went to electric deep fryer, and now bought one of these.....

Attached picture 109682556_4553560007991308_6208972747307452217_n.jpg
Posted By: thrashfish

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 07/31/20 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by BillS2006
I used a Coleman stove and dutch oven for years, then went to electric deep fryer, and now bought one of these.....

The outdoor propane double burner is also what i use with two dutch ovens. One for the fish and one for the fries, onion rings and hush puppies. Also have two single models if I'm cooking for a large group.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 08/03/20 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit 200 XP

Agree. I have a double model and love it.
Posted By: 1956Zebco

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 08/04/20 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by JAlfred
Originally Posted by 1956Zebco
[Linked Image]

Thanks for the recommendation. Bought one of these last week. Tried it on crappie Sunday. Works great. Holds cooking oil temp just as you said. Also works well for simmering soups/stews.

You're welcome. It just makes it so easy and holds the temp spot on. After 40 years, I finally learned a new trick.
Posted By: JStokley

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 01/10/21 02:43 PM

I bought a small commercial electric fryer off of Amazon for $99. It has 2 separate vats and elements. Each Vat holds about 1.5 gal of oil. It works good for frying fish for a few people or a bunch. It has 2 separate thermostats that can be st up to 400 degrees. The only downside I've found with it is it uses a ton of power. You cant plug both elements into the same electric outlet or it will throw a breaker. You can only use a commercial grade extension cord or the cord will overheat.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Fish fryer ideas?? - 01/13/21 03:24 PM

This is what I use. Put it on my turkey fryer burner. It doesn’t take much oil and gets hot, stays hot
https://www.agrisupply.com/images/xxl/85078.jpg?v=20210113102130
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum