Texas Fishing Forum

Onions #2

Posted By: V-Bottom

Onions #2 - 06/08/20 11:47 PM

After reading the other post about onions/variety's etc., I got to wondering about the onions used in making homemade BBQ sauce. So far, I have used only yellow onions if called for. Variety unknown!! Are there one or two onion varieties that the pro's would likely use? Do you have a " Special Onion Variety" for your HM BBQ sauce?
Posted By: Big Hopper

Re: Onions #2 - 06/09/20 01:04 PM

Don't make my own BBQ Sauce, but I can tell you that the variance in Onions is caused mostly by the what time of the year it is.

In the Winter, about all you get are "storage" onions. They have probably been stuck in a cold storage warehouse for several months until they get to sell them to market. The type of onion that stores well, are the less sweet types. The sugar in onions makes them rot/decompose faster.

In the spring/summer, you start to get the sweet onions in the markets from warm climates like Florida, Cali. and So. Texas. These are the 1015Y Hybrid yellow onion, the Vidalias, and Super Sweet.

Basically, the yellow seem to be a little sweeter, and the white a little harsher. Red onions always seem to have a "bite" to them, to me anyway.

Re: Onions #2 - 06/09/20 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Big Hopper
Don't make my own BBQ Sauce, but I can tell you that the variance in Onions is caused mostly by the what time of the year it is.

In the Winter, about all you get are "storage" onions. They have probably been stuck in a cold storage warehouse for several months until they get to sell them to market. The type of onion that stores well, are the less sweet types. The sugar in onions makes them rot/decompose faster.

In the spring/summer, you start to get the sweet onions in the markets from warm climates like Florida, Cali. and So. Texas. These are the 1015Y Hybrid yellow onion, the Vidalias, and Super Sweet.

Basically, the yellow seem to be a little sweeter, and the white a little harsher. Red onions always seem to have a "bite" to them, to me anyway.

Some great info there and thanx. Those 3 you mentioned.....I gotta try !

Re: Onions #2 - 06/10/20 01:21 PM

If you go to the market and compare what they have displayed, you will see "small" yellow onions, maybe the size of a tennis ball or a baseball. Those are the cold storage onions.

Look for the GREAT Bigguns, the size of a grapefruit. That's usually the sweet ones.

Re: Onions #2 - 06/10/20 06:22 PM

I read that sweet yellow onions need to be put in the fridge. When they sit out, they make more sugars and tend to rot quick. That might have been the smaller ones.

Re: Onions #2 - 06/11/20 01:31 PM

Sweet onions will deteriorate faster, but we're talking WEEKS.

Best is to buy em, and USE em. They don't go in the fridge at my house.

Up until they developed the super sweet varieties..... back in the day, Grandma used to tie them up in a braid, and hang them under the front porch until she needed them. Kept for months, dry and cool (this was in Kansas).
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: Onions #2 - 06/11/20 02:33 PM

like this...then i cut off the tops / roots, let'm cure a day r 2, and put'm n knee-hi panty hose

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Onions #2 - 06/12/20 09:50 PM

thumb thumb crapyetr
Posted By: Wylie Jeff

Re: Onions #2 - 06/18/20 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by crapyetr
like this...then i cut off the tops / roots, let'm cure a day r 2, and put'm n knee-hi panty hose

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You are an onion expert.

Re: Onions #2 - 06/18/20 10:56 PM

i had a few good crops in G'twn back in 2016...not so much in eastx with these tall tall sticks they call pine trees...blocks 2 much sun

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Onions #2 - 06/19/20 12:09 PM

Those are some dandies.

Did you start those in the Fall and carry over into Spring?

Most people don't know that those big'uns grow about half way out of the dirt. Good job. At least you have some dirt. Where I live the native soil is ....... well, there isn't any soil, just white rock. I have to buy soil and put it in raised beds to grow anything.

Re: Onions #2 - 06/20/20 11:55 AM

planted as soon as i can get the slips in November from Dixondale Farms / Carrizo Springs ... https://www.dixondalefarms.com ... these are Texas Legends...an offshoot of 1015's...the garden soil i bought in g'twn was an excellent mix...i have raised beds here n Nacog but the dirt isn't as good and the dang pine trees block the sun so production isn't the same...

here's the crop still in the ground

[Linked Image]
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Onions #2 - 06/21/20 09:12 PM

Cant beat a sweet yellow American onion.
The winter sour junk comes from who knows
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Onions #2 - 07/07/20 01:50 AM

Don't forget Texas noonday onions!
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Onions #2 - 07/16/20 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by deucer02
Don't forget Texas noonday onions!

Yessir ! Best onion rings ever !

Re: Onions #2 - 07/17/20 11:30 AM

yant tryd Texas Legends from Dixondale Farms...but i guess if it ant broke / don't fix it
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum