Texas Fishing Forum

Bean Sprouts

Posted By: V-Bottom

Bean Sprouts - 05/17/20 08:21 PM

Been thinking about making me a batch of Fried Rice with all the goodies. Some restaurants fried rice do not incorporate bean sprouts. I want to. When it comes to buying some, is there a Go-To brand? Do bean sprouts come from one certain bean and if so.....what bean?
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Bean Sprouts - 05/17/20 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by V-Bottom
Been thinking about making me a batch of Fried Rice with all the goodies. Some restaurants fried rice do not incorporate bean sprouts. I want to. When it comes to buying some, is there a Go-To brand? Do bean sprouts come from one certain bean and if so.....what bean?

As far as I've seen, there is no brand. They come from mung been.

Re: Bean Sprouts - 05/18/20 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW

As far as I've seen, there is no brand. They come from mung beans.

After some research, I found that out and just how to grow your own. Quite interesting. LA Choy has the canned ones.
Posted By: Zipster

Re: Bean Sprouts - 05/18/20 04:39 PM

go to a veitnamese or Korean grocery store and buy them fresh.

Re: Bean Sprouts - 05/18/20 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Zipster

Canned or do they grow their own?
Posted By: Flags

Re: Bean Sprouts - 05/19/20 02:05 PM

One of the custodians at the school I teach at grows them. About twice a month or so she gives me a big bag. Love the things. I put them in a pot and boil them for about 10 min or so and drain them. I cook up some chicken thighs and cut the meat in chunks and mix them into the sprouts and stir in some chopped green onion and then put it all in a pan and put in some oyster sauce and a splash of soy sauce and get it nice and hot. Serve over a little steamed rice. Makes a fine meal.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Bean Sprouts - 05/19/20 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Zipster

Canned or do they grow their own?

not canned. that's gross. Many regular stores have them too.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Bean Sprouts - 05/23/20 12:46 AM

Tom Thumb in Irving carries then fresh in the produce dept. They're great in salads.
Posted By: 1956Zebco

Re: Bean Sprouts - 06/03/20 10:20 AM

This will explain the process and all the beans (some of the beans): https://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Bean-Sprouts-Indoors

Wife and I have been sprouting for over 10 years after getting one of those kits. We don't use the kit much for sprouting for salads now as we do in sprouting seeds for the garden. Once you learn to sprout there's no guesswork to gardening anymore - you're planting a growing plant, not a seed and you know darn well it's on the way.

Worthwhile - cost effective - eats effective - easy & not time consuming - no downside at all to doing it.
Posted By: 410MAN

Re: Bean Sprouts - 06/26/20 03:01 PM

whats your fried rice recepie? if it not a family secret to share
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum