Texas Fishing Forum

Dead fish in livewell

Posted By: zachary00

Dead fish in livewell - 05/17/20 12:55 AM

After I catch a fish I intend to keep, I throw it in the livewell with water and kill and clean them when I get home. I have had a few die along the way and didn't feel comfortable keeping the but hated to throw them away. Is there a tell take sign that a fish has been dead to long without refrigeration? How long after they die are they still safe to clean and keep?
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Dead fish in livewell - 05/17/20 01:09 AM

If they still wiggle, I clean them. If stiff and discolored, no. I freeze 2 litre coke bottles and put one or two in the live well in the hot weather to keep them from spoiling when needed.
Posted By: 1442

Re: Dead fish in livewell - 05/17/20 06:36 AM

If the gills are red they are still good.
Even slightly faded gills are good but by the time they turn to a light pink color the meat gets slimy and probably no good.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Dead fish in livewell - 05/17/20 03:06 PM

Another way of looking at it is that 375 degree frying oil will kill about anything if you get in a bind.
Posted By: Flags

Re: Dead fish in livewell - 05/19/20 02:19 PM

Keep a cooler full of ice in the back of the vehicle. When you pull the boat drain the live well and put the fish on ice. Don't have to worry about it if they are iced.
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Dead fish in livewell - 05/19/20 08:35 PM

I freeze three liter Coke bottles of water. I leave those in the truck in an ice chest. When I load the boat and have fish I am keeping, I transfer them to the ice chest and lay the frozen bottles on top of them. Yesterday, doing that I had three of the bluegill I kept still alive when I got home an hour later.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Dead fish in livewell - 05/23/20 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by fishslime
If they still wiggle, I clean them. If stiff and discolored, no. I freeze 2 litre coke bottles and put one or two in the live well in the hot weather to keep them from spoiling when needed.

If they're stiff and discolored, check with Tuner before throwing them away. He's thinking about eating gar and other Cajun delicacies.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Dead fish in livewell - 05/24/20 04:32 PM

I thought this was gonna be one of them puking & spitting chunks stories about finding a dead fish in the live well and having to clean it out. Been there done that.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Dead fish in livewell - 06/04/20 12:53 PM

Press down on the the side of the fish with your finger. If it stays indented no go. If it returns to normal it's all good.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum