Texas Fishing Forum

How do you prepare Carp?

Posted By: Bentman63

How do you prepare Carp? - 02/12/20 04:49 PM

Just wondering if you all eat carp
Posted By: 30ft jon boat

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 02/12/20 07:31 PM

i've done carp and buffalo ribs on the smoker.seems like the carp was very bloody and red meat and was not very good , the buffalo was tasty but too much work.i guess i would eat it if i were starving,but it is way too easy to catch fish that taste better.
Posted By: OTFF

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 02/13/20 07:05 PM

I have the perfect recipe.
Catch carp or buffalo, any method you desire.
Fight said fish. Take pictures if unusually large or just desire.
Throw fish back in body of water, or cut up for catfish bait.

Too many good fish to waste time eating carp.
Posted By: Alan

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 02/17/20 08:01 PM

This how I was told to prepare carp. Clean the carp and remove the red meat. Cut a cedar plank long enough to hold the carp. Butter and season the board. Add the carp and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Then throw the carp away and eat the board.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 02/17/20 09:40 PM

I think someone a long time ago, maybe dyslexic, spelled in incorrectly...... hmmm
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 02/17/20 11:25 PM

C'Mon Man.................
Posted By: ebl

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 02/18/20 05:24 PM

Carp can be prepared but a lot of work. before cleaning cut it at tail and hang it so blood drains out(don,t hurry) thenfilet and doctor wiith seasoning of your choice ,then smoke it long and slow. it is worth a try ONCE then go to red lobster and get alaska king crab.
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 02/18/20 05:38 PM

I cube skin on, put on a circle hook, and use them for trotline bait.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 02/19/20 10:03 PM

I've cooked it and it's not bad as a matter of fact it is good.
I caught a small one in a cast net about 3#.
I gutted, cut the head off and scaled it.
Cut into about 2" sections, added it to my pressure cooker with a Tablespoon of Old Bay and 2 cups of water.
Cooked it for 30 minutes at 10# of pressure.
If I was doing another one I'd pressure it for 45 minutes and turn the bones to a chalk like consistency.
When you clean the carp it will be very oily and the meat will be yellow, after cooking it is a pure white.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 02/19/20 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by kdub#1
I cube skin on, put on a circle hook, and use them for trotline bait.

my thought exactly.
thumb
Posted By: t101catfish

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 02/23/20 02:02 AM

my wifes grand mother would fry the ribs and and can the rest. Canning seemed to dissolve the little bones that you cannot see. she would use the canned carp for fish patties (carp croquettes}
she would cut off the red meat before canning
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 02/24/20 12:16 AM

Ummm I don't prepare carp.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 04/03/20 01:17 PM

The best way to prepare carp is with a shovel and lime.
Posted By: SeanV14

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 04/03/20 02:42 PM

https://youtu.be/dURXelQjLHI?t=487
Posted By: SeanV14

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 04/05/20 03:50 AM

If I could catch a few......
Posted By: snake oil

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 04/09/20 06:40 PM

Fillet carp, season with S&P Tony's, cook on one of those boards( I forgot what you call them), toss carp and eat the board. grin
Posted By: captaincam3

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 04/15/20 08:12 PM

This has been the joke for years, but ive never met anyone who has actually tasted them themselves. Everyone just says they are horrible and have never eaten the damn things. Last month we were camping at Whitney and snagged a nice 12lb buffalo. We were borderline on having enough stripers for our fish fry that night and decided to give it a shot. It was great. We only knocked off one side of it. Mid-tail is the best portion, because it does have a sh*&*$$t ton of bones. We were very surprised, and even laid a little in a skillet without seasoning for a sample and it was great. I've eaten 98% of the fish in North America, and flavor and texture it is pretty damn good. There is a a bone issue to deal with, but if the apocalypse continues there is an option.
Posted By: Twotoes

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 04/24/20 08:21 PM

Dig a hole about 18" deep, put the carp in it, cover it up. Plant onions and peppers above the carp. Grill a great burger and put fresh onions and peppers on it.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 04/24/20 08:49 PM

Just more of the typical BS from those who have never even cooked or tasted a carp. Mainly just repeating handed down gossip from others who don't know.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 04/24/20 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Twotoes
Dig a hole about 18" deep, put the carp in it, cover it up. Plant onions and peppers above the carp. Grill a great burger and put fresh onions and peppers on it.

thumb cheers
Posted By: RWjr

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 08/07/20 04:07 AM

My Grandmother fix carp in a pressure pot and they where good, kinda like salmon patties
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 08/09/20 01:41 AM

Fillet the carp.
Soak an oak plank for 2 hrs. In water
Place fillets on plank cover with sliced onion, fresh garlic, basil ,tomato sauce and a squeeze of lemon
Cover in foil
Place on charcoal grill and let Cook on medium heat for 1.5 hrs.
Remove from heat
Throw out the carp and eat the plank.
Posted By: Jamoke

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 08/26/20 06:16 PM

I lived on the Colorado River below Hoover dam for 3 years (Willow Beach) and was fishing one night, didn't have much luck, except I caught a 5 lb carp. My father always told me you could eat a carp (or at least he had during the depression) if the water was cold, well the water there was always around 50 degrees F, So I thought I would try it, I filleted some meat, tried it fried in a pan... awful, poached with lemon juice... awful, seasoned with blackening spices... awful. Everything tasted muddy and bitter, my whole house stunk. I am Very openminded about trying new things and eating almost ANY kinds of food, this just plain did not taste good or right, kinda had a medicine like aftertaste, not like the medicine today, like when we were kids, bitter and wrong.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 08/27/20 01:14 AM

People along the border make ceviche with carp, never tried it though.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 08/28/20 02:21 AM

A few years ago I was having a good day of carp fishing at Lake Arlington. There were 3 Hispanic guys fishing close by watching me catching carp. One finally asked if they could have the fish since I did not keep them. I ended up giving them several 5 to 10 pound carp. They were getting the fish for a family get together and wanted the carp for ceviche, I just could not figure out the eating of raw carp. Different strokes for different folks.
Posted By: lonestar

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 08/28/20 02:43 PM

I have tried it on an overnight camping trip when in college in the 70's. Fried it in a cast iron skillet over a campfire. Guys I was with ate it regularly.
The bones were an issue, but, I remember the meat being white and flakey . It tasted fine to me, just a lot of fine bones. I also see articles talking about eating buffalo ribs (fish) and talking about how good those are. To each his own! I would be concerned about the water body they came from when it comes to eating them.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 08/30/20 05:53 PM

https://reelgame.com/are-carp-good-to-eat/

Grandma could cook them up pretty good, had to watch for bones.
They were so much fun to fish for when we were kids, they love wheaties.
fish
` hooked
Posted By: Zipster

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 09/15/20 04:57 PM

Carp is on many menus in Nebraska and the upper midwest. MY Grandma and Grandpa used to eat it. I tried it but I was too young to really make an opinion.
Posted By: Bassman_78

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 10/27/20 01:26 AM

You always swap the A and the R, then say a blessing that you caught a different fish to eat.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 10/27/20 02:29 AM

Never ate carp. But I have ate many of crappie, Bluegill, catfish, Rainbow Trout, Flounder, Red Snapper, White Bass, Red Fish, and shark. thumb
Posted By: flee fly

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 10/28/20 01:10 PM

Love catching them, never tried eating them
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 10/29/20 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by snake oil
Fillet carp, season with S&P Tony's, cook on one of those boards( I forgot what you call them), toss carp and eat the board. grin

Bout right
Posted By: TPACK

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 10/31/20 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by jackiekennedyfishingguide
Just more of the typical BS from those who have never even cooked or tasted a carp. Mainly just repeating handed down gossip from others who don't know.

Lighten up Francis. LOL
Posted By: W B

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 01/02/21 01:39 AM

Feller from Mizzo told me they fillet each side and slice the fillet again and 3 times if it was a big one, approx 1/2" thick. Said they then put 1/4" diamond cuts on both sides of the fillet. Then worked cornmeal into the diamond cut and fried crisp. He said you eat crunchy bones and all.
Posted By: LastCastPodcast

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 01/06/21 05:11 PM

I got into some grass carp in the past year, and that's been my gateway drug to eating carp. Now I think I would be hard-pressed to throw any carp back. It's all about the preparation. My go-to is to put the carp fillets in a crock pot on the back porch. Anyone within a block or so downwind will notice that lake-bottom carp smell, which is good, because that carpy taste will be gone by morning and the bones will have all dissolved. What you're left with is about four pounds of meat that tastes almost exactly like canned tuna. I'll usually take that, mix in breadcrumbs, spices, an egg, parsley, and make fried fish-cakes. My fiance (who has forbidden me from bringing home anymore catfish) will have seconds and thirds. When the pandemic gets a little quieter, I'll have folks over for a big fry.

(I have a recipe for the leftover broth based on the PJ and Apple Stoop's "Trashfish Soup" if anyone is interested)

Another option is to scale and poach whole with rice wine, soy, garlic, ginger, in the Chinese fashion. Then you eat it with chopsticks. Since the bones are still attached to the spine, the meat basically pulls free.

Next time I think I'll just freeze it and run it through a grinder, maybe mix in a little bacon to facilitate the frying. I experimented a little bit with that when I made carp-dogs (in another thread in this category). They say you need to run it through twice to break up all the bones, but once seemed to do the trick.

The Wisconsin DNR published an entire book of recipes for carp and such, if you're interested in Midwestern cuisine's solution to the carp problem. It's called A Fine Kettle of Fish, available here in scanned PDF:
https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/documents/anglereducation/FineKettleFish.pdf
Posted By: 30ft jon boat

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 01/07/21 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by ingvar3000
I got into some grass carp in the past year, and that's been my gateway drug to eating carp. Now I think I would be hard-pressed to throw any carp back. It's all about the preparation. My go-to is to put the carp fillets in a crock pot on the back porch. Anyone within a block or so downwind will notice that lake-bottom carp smell, which is good, because that carpy taste will be gone by morning and the bones will have all dissolved. What you're left with is about four pounds of meat that tastes almost exactly like canned tuna. I'll usually take that, mix in breadcrumbs, spices, an egg, parsley, and make fried fish-cakes. My fiance (who has forbidden me from bringing home anymore catfish) will have seconds and thirds. When the pandemic gets a little quieter, I'll have folks over for a big fry.

(I have a recipe for the leftover broth based on the PJ and Apple Stoop's "Trashfish Soup" if anyone is interested)

Another option is to scale and poach whole with rice wine, soy, garlic, ginger, in the Chinese fashion. Then you eat it with chopsticks. Since the bones are still attached to the spine, the meat basically pulls free.

Next time I think I'll just freeze it and run it through a grinder, maybe mix in a little bacon to facilitate the frying. I experimented a little bit with that when I made carp-dogs (in another thread in this category). They say you need to run it through twice to break up all the bones, but once seemed to do the trick.

The Wisconsin DNR published an entire book of recipes for carp and such, if you're interested in Midwestern cuisine's solution to the carp problem. It's called A Fine Kettle of Fish, available here in scanned PDF:
https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/documents/anglereducation/FineKettleFish.pdf

what kind of carp and what lake? you have me curious.

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 01/07/21 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by 30ft jon boat
what kind of carp and what lake? you have me curious.

The grass carp is mostly from Lake Austin and the common carp from the lower Colorado. We catch some commons out of Lady Bird, but they're practically a regulated sport fish in Lady Bird, so usually release them there. Also I try not to eat _tooo_ many fish out of Lady Bird Lake.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 01/08/21 01:14 PM

I've tried to cook buffalo before. It was ok in recipes that involve alot of spicing or breading. But personally it wasn't worth the trouble of carving through that armor-plated hide and stout bones.
Posted By: ssanderson

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 01/08/21 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Alan
This how I was told to prepare carp. Clean the carp and remove the red meat. Cut a cedar plank long enough to hold the carp. Butter and season the board. Add the carp and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Then throw the carp away and eat the board.

This
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 01/09/21 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
I've tried to cook buffalo before. It was ok in recipes that involve alot of spicing or breading. But personally it wasn't worth the trouble of carving through that armor-plated hide and stout bones.

hmmm hmmmArmor-plated hide?I`m not sure what you had was a Buffalo. roflmao
Posted By: Outfitter Nomore

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 01/20/21 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by W B
Feller from Mizzo told me they fillet each side and slice the fillet again and 3 times if it was a big one, approx 1/2" thick. Said they then put 1/4" diamond cuts on both sides of the fillet. Then worked cornmeal into the diamond cut and fried crisp. He said you eat crunchy bones and all.

That is what we call scoring the fish.There have been alot of carp sandwiches eaten in many a bar on Friday nights in the midwest and they taste damn good too.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 01/20/21 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Fishbonz

Those big tough scales may as well be armor.

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 01/21/21 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fishbonz

Those big tough scales may as well be armor.

I've found that if you turn the fillet knife blade upsidedown, work the tip under one of those giant scales near the tail, and then cut the skin along the dorsal line toward the head, you can basically skin the buffalo/carp like a catfish, and the filleting goes pretty quick after that. And yes, the buffalo meat tastes noticeably better than carp, once you process out the Y bones.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 01/23/21 06:09 PM

Life's to short to eat carp. clap
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: How do you prepare Carp? - 01/31/21 06:16 PM

Gotta pressure cook it and the bones will disappear.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum