Texas Fishing Forum

Sorrel soup.

Posted By: Kattelyn

Sorrel soup. - 02/10/20 09:01 PM

This became an instant hit here. Sorrel kinda tastes a little like canned spinach, but there's a tang that spinach doesn't have. One thing is I have had this but haven't made it yet, with a foraged herb.... yellow dock or curly dock would go wonderfully in it.

Sorrel soup.
4 - 5 medium potatoes peeled and chopped into bite size pieces.
3 carrots peeled and bite size pieces
1 onion chopped
1 chicken breast chopped into bite size pieces
I used two knorr condensed chicken stock things but whatever you like
11 oz jar of canned sorrel or a pound-ish of fresh.
Salt and pepper to taste
Half a cup to a cup of sour cream again depending on taste.

Simmer together everything but the sorrel and sour cream until done. Add sorrel and simmer another 10 minutes

Add some hot soup to the sour cream to temper it, then add it to the pot.

Serve with some good crusty bread.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Sorrel soup. - 03/31/20 08:42 PM

Is sorrel available at grocery stores fresh or as an extract? Speciality stores?

Re: Sorrel soup. - 04/03/20 04:12 PM

It's typically found at places that cater to European markets. But you can also use canned spinach, or fresh greens cooked down. I would also use foraged greens that grow wild like yellow or curly dock since it is a very close relative of the cultivated version that is called for here.
Posted By: Dirty Bass

Re: Sorrel soup. - 04/03/20 07:48 PM

I made a tortilla soup yesterday that you posted many years ago today. My favorite. I'll for sure try this.
Posted By: Lottfisher

Re: Sorrel soup. - 04/03/20 09:08 PM

I grow a red veined sorrel in my vegetable garden. It's new to me, yet i have 12 or 15 plants that I snip leaves from and add to my salads. Is the red veined similar to what you are calling for in your soup recipe?...Lawton

Re: Sorrel soup. - 04/04/20 01:33 AM

Yes. It will work perfectly!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum