Texas Fishing Forum

Smoking a Turkey

Posted By: BCBassCat

Smoking a Turkey - 11/18/19 05:47 PM

I have always fried our turkey on thanksgiving. This year I want to try smoking one. I have a large BGE, with the plate setter. I'm fairly new to the whole process of smoking. I'm planning on trying a 10 pounder if that is not too big. Please fill me in on the do's and don'ts, and also any recipes that you don't mind sharing. Thanks!
Posted By: Derek ๐Ÿ

Re: Smoking a Turkey - 11/18/19 06:34 PM

Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Smoking a Turkey - 11/19/19 01:54 AM

Thanks man. Thatโ€™s bad arse.
Posted By: trlrman

Re: Smoking a Turkey - 11/19/19 01:59 AM

Homemade brine with meat church honey hog spatchocked Turkey was a winner last year !!! Thanks for the tip Derek !!
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Smoking a Turkey - 11/19/19 02:07 AM

Couple of main things. One- brine the turkey. Makes a huge difference. Two- get a good internal food thermometer. Use this to determine when it's done (165 in the breast). Don't use the thermometers that come in the turkey. They are way off. Thermopop makes a good one that's pretty inexpensive.

I like to smoke them at about 300. This allows the turkey to get enough smoke but still gets done before it dries out.

I've had the best results with Butterball.
Posted By: Derek ๐Ÿ

Re: Smoking a Turkey - 11/19/19 11:43 PM

I agree with Jerry. I like to go hotter as he mentioned. Specially on meats that are low in fat. Turkey, pork loin, etc. Hotter works much better.

Also google/youtube Spatchcock turkey. That my go to on the Egg now. I got a pellet pooper this year and will be doing a Spatchcock on it this year. Simple to do and turns out a great product.
Posted By: okieminnow

Re: Smoking a Turkey - 11/28/19 01:28 PM

Ours in in the smoker now...Inject with spices it as much as it will take, this year we stuffed with apples....should be interesting
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum