Texas Fishing Forum

Best fried crappie recipe

Posted By: Crankbait08

Best fried crappie recipe - 11/13/19 06:16 PM

I am pretty sure this has been posted several times,but what is the best recipe to fry crappie.
Posted By: ifishalot

Re: Best fried crappie recipe - 11/17/19 02:46 PM

Pat filets dry, shake in bag to coat with Lousiana Fish Fry, deep fry uncrowded filets in 375 degree peanut oil for 6 minutes... works for me!
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Best fried crappie recipe - 12/01/19 04:08 PM

Louisiana fish fry (blue package). Soak filets in a cup of milk with one egg prior to corn meal. About 8 minutes at 350. Should be pretty good.

For sides sliced yellow squash or whole small mushrooms.

Both have turned out to be family favorites.

Seasoned fries from Walmart and quick & easy too.
Posted By: Dr. Drop

Re: Best fried crappie recipe - 12/19/19 02:08 AM

Cut fillets in half.
Soak in cold water.
Coat in Louisiana seasoned crispy fish fry mix. {blue Package}
Pan fry in skillet with olive oil.
Put savanna classic jalapeno hush pups and sweet potato fries from brookshires on cookie pan and bake for 17 min at 425 deg.
Mix ketchup, prepared horseradish and lemon for cocktail sauce .
Cold Beer
Posted By: Tneel

Re: Best fried crappie recipe - 12/29/19 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Drop
Cut fillets in half.
Soak in cold water.
Put savanna classic jalapeno hush pups and sweet potato fries from brookshires on cookie pan and bake for 17 min at 425 deg.
Cold Beer

Sometimes I coat filets in yellow mustard before shaking in fish fry mix for extra crispy crappie. You will not taste the mustard,it acts as a binder to allow more fish fry mix to stick to the filets.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Best fried crappie recipe - 02/02/20 01:53 AM

Try using uncle bucks from the bass pro shop.
Posted By: CrazyCrappieGuy

Re: Best fried crappie recipe - 02/10/20 07:34 PM

Soak in cold water.

Why do you soak in cold water? I try do avoid soaking in water, I think it makes them muchy...

Just got an air fryer this weekend, cooked these delish...I did a combo bread crumbs, flower, corn meal salt and pepper..Spray with olive oil before I season them....

Before...
[Linked Image]

After....
[Linked Image]

I got this air fryer just for crappie..works great.
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: Best fried crappie recipe - 02/11/20 06:21 PM

mustard, tony chacharies, corn meal thumb
Posted By: JAlfred

Re: Best fried crappie recipe - 02/12/20 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by ifishalot
Pat filets dry, shake in bag to coat with Lousiana Fish Fry, deep fry uncrowded filets in 375 degree peanut oil for 6 minutes... works for me!

6 minutes seems like a long time to me. I cook them 3 minutes only because my wife likes them well done. For me, I use 1 1/2 to 2 minutes depending on the size of the fillet.

Any other opinions on cooking time?
Posted By: sll

Re: Best fried crappie recipe - 02/13/20 03:48 PM

I like them (and walleye) pan-blackened best........melted butter, blackening seasoning coated on both sides, and seared quickly in a HOT cast iron skillet (best to do outdoors because of amount of smoke it produces).
Posted By: jbw3

Re: Best fried crappie recipe - 02/13/20 08:12 PM

if they're mushy then i've found either they're not cold enough...or not cooked on high enough heat. I make sure mine are super cold. I'll even soak them in ice water right before seasoning. 385 for 3 minutes and they're super crispy.

Re: Best fried crappie recipe - 02/13/20 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by sll
I like them (and walleye) pan-blackened best........melted butter, blackening seasoning coated on both sides, and seared quickly in a HOT cast iron skillet (best to do outdoors because of amount of smoke it produces).

I cook LMB fillets this way. What is typical cook time on each side for you? Crappie I prefer deep fried. Just personal preference.
Posted By: sll

Re: Best fried crappie recipe - 02/14/20 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by JAlfred
Originally Posted by sll

I cook LMB fillets this way. What is typical cook time on each side for you? Crappie I prefer deep fried. Just personal preference.

About 90 seconds per side for crappie and 2-2 1/2 minutes per side for walleye if you have the cast iron skillet hot enough. When you can take a fork and pull on the top of the fillet and it starts flaking apart it is done.

Re: Best fried crappie recipe - 02/16/20 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tneel
Cut fillets in half.
Soak in cold water.
Cold Beer

Sometimes I coat filets in yellow mustard before shaking in fish fry mix for extra crispy crappie. You will not taste the mustard,it acts as a binder to allow more fish fry mix to stick to the filets.

I was a bit skeptical about the mustard idea, but tried it and it works great. Great tip. Thanks.
Posted By: rcjoutdoors

Re: Best fried crappie recipe - 02/18/20 09:46 PM

I have never tried crappie. Most fresh water fish in Florida scares me due to runoff, but I am willing to try from the right place.
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: Best fried crappie recipe - 02/23/20 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by JAlfred
Originally Posted by ifishalot

6 minutes seems like a long time to me. I cook them 3 minutes only because my wife likes them well done. For me, I use 1 1/2 to 2 minutes depending on the size of the fillet.

Any other opinions on cooking time?

2-4 minutes for me depending on the size of the filets
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Best fried crappie recipe - 03/20/20 07:38 PM

Mustard is all I use for the binder anymore
I think the fish comes out better and little more crispy
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Best fried crappie recipe - 03/20/20 08:53 PM

I understand white corn meal is good for breading crappie. I fry all fish with yellow corn meal, salt, and sometimes throw in a little Tony's. Marinate catfish in Louisiana Hot Sauce before breading.
Posted By: wupbass

Re: Best fried crappie recipe - 03/21/20 05:56 PM

Seasoned flour, with whatever seasonings you like. Shake off excess and dip in milk egg wash and then crushed generic saltines. I pulse them in a food processor. Fry at 325 until golden brown.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Best fried crappie recipe - 03/21/20 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by rcjoutdoors
I have never tried crappie. Most fresh water fish in Florida scares me due to runoff, but I am willing to try from the right place.

Crappie are top notch table fare. A lot of good recipes are listed here, I haven’t tried the mustard coating but love to fry the fillets using the Louisiana Seasoned mixes.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum