Texas Fishing Forum

Brisket on the Big Green Egg

Posted By: parttime

Brisket on the Big Green Egg - 07/09/19 06:09 PM

This 4th of July we decided to do a brisket on the Big Green Egg. I actually started it the night before and let it cook all night. It turned out great. Here is a video on the prep and process for how I do my brisket.

Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Brisket on the Big Green Egg - 07/09/19 07:35 PM

Nice job OP! Couple of comments/pointers.

On the internal temperature if you cook enough briskets you'll find that IT number can vary. I've had briskets done at 192 and I've taken briskets to 215 before they were tender. The cut of the brisket has a lot to do with it. The better quality the cut the less variance you'll have. Once it gets above 190 internal temperature the best way is to use a probe to determine tenderness.

Wrapping a brisket in foil is not cheating. It's a smart way of keeping your brisket moist. If you like bark cook your brisket until it has a dark color then wrap it in foil and cook until done. Unwrap your foil, drain off the liquid and put the brisket back on the smoker still in the foil but with the foil opened exposing the top/sides of the brisket for about 20 minutes. This will set the bark.

If you're cooking over direct heat like in the BGE it'll help if you cook fat side down for a couple of reasons. You won't lose as much seasoning to the grill. When you lay a piece of seasoned meat on a grate you're gonna lose some of the seasoning sticking to the grate. Also if your fire gets a little hot on you the fat side will provide insulation and won't burn the side with the seasonings on it. The theory that fat drips down through the meat isn't true. Fat juices just run off.

Enjoyed the video!
Posted By: shadboy

Re: Brisket on the Big Green Egg - 07/09/19 11:55 PM

You had me at brisket fat. 😀

Re: Brisket on the Big Green Egg - 07/10/19 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jerry713
Nice job OP! Couple of comments/pointers.

On the internal temperature if you cook enough briskets you'll find that IT number can vary. I've had briskets done at 192 and I've taken briskets to 215 before they were tender. The cut of the brisket has a lot to do with it. The better quality the cut the less variance you'll have. Once it gets above 190 internal temperature the best way is to use a probe to determine tenderness.

Wrapping a brisket in foil is not cheating. It's a smart way of keeping your brisket moist. If you like bark cook your brisket until it has a dark color then wrap it in foil and cook until done. Unwrap your foil, drain off the liquid and put the brisket back on the smoker still in the foil but with the foil opened exposing the top/sides of the brisket for about 20 minutes. This will set the bark.

If you're cooking over direct heat like in the BGE it'll help if you cook fat side down for a couple of reasons. You won't lose as much seasoning to the grill. When you lay a piece of seasoned meat on a grate you're gonna lose some of the seasoning sticking to the grate. Also if your fire gets a little hot on you the fat side will provide insulation and won't burn the side with the seasonings on it. The theory that fat drips down through the meat isn't true. Fat juices just run off.

Enjoyed the video!

Great tips, thank you!

Re: Brisket on the Big Green Egg - 07/10/19 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by shadboy
You had me at brisket fat. 😀

LOL thanks!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum