Texas Fishing Forum

small old smokey

Posted By: fishslime

small old smokey - 07/02/19 01:12 AM

Ordered one of these to use as a tabletop grill/smoker for a couple of steaks, etc. Anyone had experience with one, Any advice appreciated.
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: small old smokey - 07/02/19 03:00 AM

Have the mid sized one, works great, doesn't take a lot of charcoal to get hot and cook long enough to cook a steak. Burgers, chicken,and fish turn out great. Have also cooked turkey breast using the snake method for the charcoal for longer cooking time. I think you could cook one on the small one. Definitely not fancy or high tech but gets it done.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: small old smokey - 07/02/19 03:28 PM

I have the small and the medium. Fantastic little grills and made right here in houston.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: small old smokey - 07/02/19 04:27 PM

Great grills.

I recommend making a DIY charcoal basket with legs (I use stainless steel bolts/nuts as legs) to get the coals off the floor of the Old Smokey for a cleaner/hotter/more efficient burn.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: small old smokey - 07/02/19 10:40 PM

I've had the 22" one for 3 years now. No charcoal.....converted to an electric pellet smoker using the 12" TUBE for pellets, Holds heat well, cooks well. Gotta get some PVC pipe to lift it a little.
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: small old smokey - 07/03/19 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by V-Bottom
I've had the 22" one for 3 years now. No charcoal.....converted to an electric pellet smoker using the 12" TUBE for pellets, Holds heat well, cooks well. Gotta get some PVC pipe to lift it a little.

interesting. Pics?
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: small old smokey - 07/03/19 11:27 PM

I take it that the pvc is to make it taller? Did you use the element sold for the Brinkman type cylinder cooker?
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: small old smokey - 07/04/19 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Flip-n-go

I take it that the pvc is to make it taller? Did you use the element sold for the Brinkman type cylinder cooker?

Don't know....it's one of the squareish types with temp control.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum