Texas Fishing Forum

keeping Fried Fish warm

Posted By: coach51

keeping Fried Fish warm - 01/23/19 06:52 PM

Will be frying fish, fries and hush puppies for about 60 people....What is the best way to keep the fish warm before serving?

Thanks
Posted By: Cast

Re: keeping Fried Fish warm - 01/23/19 07:06 PM

Set oven on 150. But newspaper on cookie sheet, paper towels on top. Lay fish on paper towels and set in oven.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: keeping Fried Fish warm - 01/23/19 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
Set oven on 150. But newspaper on cookie sheet, paper towels on top. Lay fish on paper towels and set in oven.

i agree except i put the fish in a brown paper bag. just old school i guess. same with cold fish, always stored in a BPB. not much better than fried fish the next day out of a BPB.
Posted By: coach51

Re: keeping Fried Fish warm - 01/23/19 07:11 PM

Thanks. I will not have access to an oven, the cooking will be done outside. Can I use a roaster pan on low?
Posted By: Cast

Re: keeping Fried Fish warm - 01/23/19 07:47 PM

Yes, I almost said electric roasting pan on low. I’d layer newspaper, fish, newspaper, fish.
Posted By: thrashfish

Re: keeping Fried Fish warm - 01/23/19 10:39 PM

The electric roasting pan is the method that i use also.
Posted By: smooth move

Re: keeping Fried Fish warm - 01/24/19 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by thrashfish
The electric roasting pan is the method that i use also.

jeez! i passed on one of those at a garage sale a while back.
Posted By: shutupandfish

Re: keeping Fried Fish warm - 02/03/19 04:23 AM

If you use a roaster dont put the lid on all of the way. If you close it up the fish will get soggy and not stay crisp. I like to use brown paper bags as others have said because your fish and fries stay crisp and dont get soft from the steam buildup.
Posted By: fishslime

Re: keeping Fried Fish warm - 02/11/19 07:19 PM

The way I do it is to put it in a paper sack after taking it out of the pot. Put layers of paper towels between batches. Sometimes I double up the sacks for more insulation. Fold over the top as well to hold the heat in. The sack breathes and keeps it from getting soggy. Before serving, I pull the paper towels out and let everyone self-serve with their hands or tongs. Has always worked great.
Posted By: CrappieXpress

Re: keeping Fried Fish warm - 02/19/19 02:03 AM

Recently I found that lighting one or two burners on a 4 burner propane grill and getting it to 275 then putting the cooked fish on a paper towel lined cookie sheet keeps them perfectly crisp. I've done the oven thing for years but the grill definitely works better and keeps the fish much crispier.
Posted By: Mo

Re: keeping Fried Fish warm - 02/19/19 11:32 PM

Paper towels in brown bag , brown bags in an old cooler. They won't be piping hot , but they won't be cold,

Mo
Posted By: Perry

Re: keeping Fried Fish warm - 02/22/19 03:39 PM

wouldn't heavy duty foil work pretty good
Posted By: RANDY WOOD

Re: keeping Fried Fish warm - 03/03/19 08:26 PM

Again
Don’t completely cover or fish will be soggy
Posted By: PondFish

Re: keeping Fried Fish warm - 03/14/19 05:43 PM

Do two batches of fish, one batch of fries and one batch of hush puppies then start another cycle of the same.
Let some people start to eat when first cycle is done and then others can grab some as you complete each cycle.
Fish,etc, is crisp and hot for each turn.

I don't care if I'm first or last as long as the beer is cold and plentiful.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum