Texas Fishing Forum

Console Electronics Hole cover

Posted By: mzierath

Console Electronics Hole cover - 10/30/17 11:45 PM

Just upgraded my electronics and want to remove the old Hummingbird from the console. Any suggestions on what to use to cover the hole that will be left behind?

Mike
Posted By: ToadThrower

Re: Console Electronics Hole cover - 10/31/17 01:01 AM

I used a piece of 1/8 inch aluminum plate...cut it an inch and half larger than the opening with a jig saw and used a sander to round the corners...drilled four holes and counter sunk them for the screws to be flush... painted it to match the console color...and then attached it to cover the console hole with four stainless steel screws and nuts.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Console Electronics Hole cover - 10/31/17 04:20 AM

A piece of black starboard. It's impervious to the elements, including UV, has a nice crinkle finish, and can be easily worked like wood. I've made some nice trim pieces for my boat using a bandsaw and trim router, but it can be done with even less in the way of tools. Being like wood, it's easy to work with, and never needs paint touch-up. Thickness available ranges from 1/4 inch to 1 inch. I find 1/2 inch to be the most common "right thickness". You can get supply pieces as small as 12 x 12 inches from various websites, even Amazon.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Console Electronics Hole cover - 10/31/17 06:52 PM

Put a round marine radio in it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum