Texas Fishing Forum

Heading Sensor

Posted By: Sandblaster

Heading Sensor - 09/10/17 11:57 PM

Where has everyone mounted there heading sensor and why did you pick that spot? I've noticed most people have them mounted up at the bow of the boat or console or on the back deck near the motor. I'm asking because I just don't know why people put them in different places.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Heading Sensor - 09/11/17 12:30 AM

which heading sensor? The fish finder heading sensor in a perfect situation would be best at the transom ,closet place to the transducer for the best accuracy. But not all able to go there due magnetic interference. The trolling heading sensor for a trolling motor can go anywhere there is no interference and it can get a good signal. I have my fish finder heading sensor near the console just cause it was easy to install and no interference. I fish areas(humps , points , ridges so being in a exact spot doesn't concern me. If I were to fish brush piles or precise structure it would be best on the transom. Putting one the bow would be beneficial if you are marking waypoints with the trolling motor transducer. It really comes down to what and how you fish
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Heading Sensor - 09/11/17 02:09 AM

On my last boat, I mounted my Ultrex sensor on the console. On the new boat, it's on the bow. Both times were decided by convenience. The power source was readily available. Makes no difference as long as the arrow is inline with the direction of the boat.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Heading Sensor - 09/11/17 05:42 PM

mine is on the transom

Re: Heading Sensor - 09/11/17 09:17 PM

Do you have to have a heading sensor for the unit near the trolling motor and then another one for the console unit or can you have one heading sensor for both units?
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Heading Sensor - 09/11/17 10:24 PM

Depends on what brand and models of graphs you have

Re: Heading Sensor - 09/12/17 12:42 AM

44 Diseal What if you have Lowrance units with GPS point 1?

Re: Heading Sensor - 09/12/17 12:43 AM

Front unit is Lowrance HDS 8 Gen 2 and Console unit is Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 3
Posted By: dimitri

Re: Heading Sensor - 09/14/17 01:27 PM

no need for 2 heading sensors since the point 1 is on your nmea network it can be used by any unit thats on the network .

Re: Heading Sensor - 09/14/17 09:35 PM

Thanks dimitri
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum