Texas Fishing Forum

Extending Control Wires

Posted By: AKMike

Extending Control Wires - 08/22/17 08:32 PM

I need to extend that wires that go from the controls to my outboard, what type pf wire should I use is there a specific marine wire? Honestly I've never messed with any wiring, but I think I can handle soldering/insulating some extensions, Thanks in advance.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Extending Control Wires - 08/22/17 08:40 PM

You can pickup another used harness at most boat shops that will match colors. What motor? I have several.

Re: Extending Control Wires - 08/22/17 08:52 PM

Unless you have some real long ones I think I'll have to buy the wire, I'm going to have to add 40-45ft of wire the boats 50ft, I'm just trying to get a supply list together at the moment. Motors a 1990 Evinrude 88hp(wanted bigger but couldn't pass on the price).

I also need to source steering and throttle cables, I'm sure that'll be cheap... the controls sit about 40-43ft from the outboard.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Extending Control Wires - 08/24/17 07:31 AM

88 hp on a 50 ft boat ?
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Extending Control Wires - 08/24/17 10:34 AM

Sounds to me like you need to move the console. Hydraulics will be the only way to accomplish the steering. Here`s a 50ft harness with shift and throttle cables. eBay item number:370956868174

Re: Extending Control Wires - 08/24/17 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: gary purdy
Sounds to me like you need to move the console. Hydraulics will be the only way to accomplish the steering. Here`s a 50ft harness with shift and throttle cables. eBay item number:370956868174

I couldn't see anything if I moved it trust me having to spend a bunch of extra money sucks, but has to be done. It doesn't have hydro steering now the cable just rusted up and honestly I wont be driving the boat much anyway. Thanks for the link.

Re: Extending Control Wires - 08/24/17 02:16 PM

Yeah my buddy has the same boat with a 90 or 100 I believe. From what everyone has told me with a power prop I should be good as long as its calm conditions.

The boats a giant pontoon boat pretty much and drafts about 10'' you can move it surprisingly easy by hand.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum