Texas Fishing Forum

Chipped gel coat question

Posted By: Ripinlip

Chipped gel coat question - 08/17/17 04:50 PM

Was fishing near a submerged rock pile when out of no where comes a huge wake boat and they get within 50ft of me tossing my boat like a bath toy upon the rocks after loading the boat the inspect the damage I found 3 quarter size chips in gel coat what's the best way to go about fixing it and is it ok to continue to use the boat until I get it fixed?
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Chipped gel coat question - 08/17/17 05:03 PM

It is fine to continue using it. Some won't even worry about fixing something that small and shallow. Drag it by a fiberglass shop and get an estimate if you are worried about it being an issue.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Chipped gel coat question - 08/17/17 05:42 PM

If fiberglass mat exposed, I would have repaired before using. If not, OK to use. For best repair, take to reputable fiberglass repair shop.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Chipped gel coat question - 08/18/17 02:20 AM

Fix it first. It will have to be completely dry to be repaired properly and there's no need to add water to it..
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Chipped gel coat question - 08/18/17 02:33 AM

Since it is on the bottom if you are not worried about looks I would dry it good with a heat gun or hair dryer and patch with Marine Tex epoxy. Scratch the area with sandpaper and apply, smoothing it out before it sets. Color wont match but it will be patched....
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: Chipped gel coat question - 08/21/17 07:30 PM

If you want to save some money and do it yourself--Manufacturers will usually sell you a small amount of the gel in a matching color. Call them with your complete serial number and ask about it. Once you get the gel, PM me and I will instruct you how to do it. Meanwhile DON'T let it get wet if the gel is missing down to the mat. Water can intrude between mat and gel-coat causing more issues down the road!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum