Texas Fishing Forum

Worst day ever... please helid

Posted By: Jake Blood

Worst day ever... please helid - 08/06/17 06:32 PM

So I finally got the wife agree to go out on the pontoon today with the kids. We hit Eagle Mountain and did a little fishing... not a bite. So.. we decided to leave early and the motor overheated on the way back to the launch. It is a Yamaha 50hp... not sure of the year, boat is an 82... I think motor is newer though. Anyway, the motor was shooting the water out just fine... so I was confused... I thought that the way a boat motor cooled itself was buy circulating water through the motor and shooting it out the back.. and as long as you saw that steady stream, you should be good. So we waited a bit, let it cool.. moved back towards the launch and it overheated again.. I was sure to check it multiple times while moving and the motor was shooting water out just fine. Oil was full, just filled it last night... Anyone got any guesses as to what it could be?

I can't afford a mechanic right now... not to mention wife will NEVER go back out with me.. not sure if I am putting that on the pro or con list yet though..

Anyway, if anyone can help me with some advice, I would be grateful.. Thank you.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Worst day ever... please helid - 08/06/17 06:49 PM

Even if the tell tell stream is good I would start with a impeller replacement
Takes about an hour and easy to do yourself for around 50-75 bucks
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Worst day ever... please helid - 08/06/17 06:49 PM

You tube the motor and process
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Worst day ever... please helid - 08/06/17 07:31 PM

Clean the poppet and thermostats with Lime Away.
Posted By: TrailHand

Re: Worst day ever... please helid - 08/06/17 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: gary purdy

This!
Posted By: Buckshotbuddy

Re: Worst day ever... please helid - 08/06/17 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: TrailHand
Originally Posted By: gary purdy

This!

Yep , should be a easy fix. I would still replace the impeller to make sure you're getting the most out Of it
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Worst day ever... please helid - 08/07/17 12:30 AM

buying used like that you also never know what previous owner did, dry start motor no muffs etc, Ive even seen them slam it in gear and run it on muffs and needless to say walked off. So all advice you have received is correct.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Worst day ever... please helid - 08/09/17 10:29 AM

If the thermostats are hung open due to debris or corrosion, the engine will still have the telltale, but water will run through too quick to cool the engine properly. That is the most common scenario. Its also possible that water passages in the block are partially blocked.

Pull your thermostat(s)first and clean/replace as needed.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Worst day ever... please helid - 08/09/17 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
If the thermostats are hung open due to debris or corrosion, the engine will still have the telltale, but water will run through too quick to cool the engine properly. That is the most common scenario. Its also possible that water passages in the block are partially blocked.

Pull your thermostat(s)first and clean/replace as needed.

Too much water flow will not cause a motor to over heat. If anything it will prevent it from reaching the proper operating temp causing it to run rich.
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: Worst day ever... please helid - 08/09/17 10:10 PM

T-stat, pull it, put it in boiling water see if it opens. If not replace.
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Worst day ever... please helid - 08/09/17 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Alumacraft 14
T-stat, pull it, put it in boiling water see if it opens. If not replace.

^^^^^^this i bet you find it bad.
I learned a lesson from Marc Mitchel at lake fork on the thermostats.
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: Worst day ever... please helid - 08/22/17 08:44 PM

Thanks for all the help on this.. I have located the thermostat, but I cannot locate the pop-it valve... i is not listed on the parts diagram..

http://www.crowleymarine.com/yp/VC457073/cylinder-crankcase-50tlra-2002-50hp

Anyone have any thoughts... I can post pictures of both sides o the engine if it will help
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Worst day ever... please helid - 08/22/17 09:05 PM

It is there with the thermostat on early models. 34, 35,36: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/1984/115ETXN/CRANKCASE%20CYLINDER/parts.html
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum