Texas Fishing Forum

How do I get my boat to drain?

Posted By: Too Fat 2 Fish

How do I get my boat to drain? - 08/01/17 08:00 PM

I store my boat outside with a cover. Invariably, some rain water finds it's way under or through the cover and I end up rain water in the bilge that won't drain. I've tried propping the tongue up as high as 32" but that isn't high enough.

Any suggestions other than a shop vac?
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: How do I get my boat to drain? - 08/01/17 08:15 PM

Is water staying because the drain opening is above the true bottom of the bilge? (most are a little bit at least)

I can tell you how I have gotten a wet bilge to be dry as a bone:

You'll need a long slender piece of an old cotton t-shirt, about 3 inches wide will do.
Hook one end of the material over a dowel, screwdriver, etc. and shove it through the drain from the outside into the bilge.
The material will act as an efficient wick if you get the end into the water.
Leave about 6 inches of the wick dangling outside the boat. It will start dripping and suck that water right out!
Posted By: Too Fat 2 Fish

Re: How do I get my boat to drain? - 08/01/17 09:11 PM

Thanks flippin. Yea it's the same design as most. I'm going to give the wick a shot
Posted By: TrailHand

Re: How do I get my boat to drain? - 08/01/17 10:04 PM

You can also pull the front compartment out if they're removable and it'll evaporate pretty well. Mine's the same way.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: How do I get my boat to drain? - 08/02/17 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
Is water staying because the drain opening is above the true bottom of the bilge? (most are a little bit at least)

I can tell you how I have gotten a wet bilge to be dry as a bone:

You'll need a long slender piece of an old cotton t-shirt, about 3 inches wide will do.
Hook one end of the material over a dowel, screwdriver, etc. and shove it through the drain from the outside into the bilge.
The material will act as an efficient wick if you get the end into the water.
Leave about 6 inches of the wick dangling outside the boat. It will start dripping and suck that water right out!

THIS ^^^^^
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum