Texas Fishing Forum

Mr. Goff

Posted By: Ricky Taylor

Mr. Goff - 07/29/17 07:50 PM

Would you mind giving me your input on my post I made in the Bass section regarding my fiberglass issue?
I value your opinion and time and would appreciate it.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/12363315/1/Strange_boat_issue_-_Skeeter
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Mr. Goff - 07/29/17 08:42 PM

Looks like it got crunched for sure. That sucks.
I really don't know how skeeters are built to give an intelligent answer. Probably find a pro to give an opinion.

Re: Mr. Goff - 07/29/17 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Pat Goff
Looks like it got crunched for sure. That sucks.
I really don't know how skeeters are built to give an intelligent answer. Probably find a pro to give an opinion.

Appreciate you taking the time to look at the post.
How old does a crack have to be to start leaking water out of the damaged area and smell bad?
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Mr. Goff - 07/29/17 09:07 PM

Good idea Ricky. Pat is an invaluable resource of info in these type boat issues. Very few have his length of time & understanding in the materials used in construction of some boats Champions for sure. & what worked or didn't & how to fix it if it can be fixed. I met Pat in the early 90's when he lived in Round Rock & was what we called a "Test Pilot" for ChampioN boats. They deaignes & built boats, gave one to Pat, & then when he brought it back, they would autopsy that boat/hull. If it could be broken, Pat COULD do it. If it didn't wirk right,Pat could PROVE it. Thats the WHY of who Pat Goff is. They had several Test Pilots. The improvements & design changes werent just engineering ideas. They WERE actual field test PROVEN!!!!
Pat IS the reason I ran Champions until they quit. I have a 98'Triton now and there WILL be another ChampioN in my stable one day.
I dont remember exactly what it was you bought from me but we met at Joe Pool for you to pick it up. Was it a graph mount? Cant remember.

Re: Mr. Goff - 07/29/17 09:10 PM

Hi Pat. Hope you & Cindy both had good birthday cakes the other day.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Mr. Goff - 07/29/17 10:10 PM

My two cents after spending years around marinas and boat yards.

Anything that leaks out of a hull and smells bad is a liquid that is produced by blistering. Water permeates the gelcoat and remains in the hull where the combination and reaction of water and the epoxies used in the layup produces the liquid. This process can take months to years. That is why large boats that live in the water have a barrier coat.

That said, a crack in a hull that allowed water intrusion and was not dried throughly before it was repaired and that trapped water in the fiberglass layers and eventually would produce the same effect. Many times blisters are not properly repaired simply because the drying time can be quite long and a boat siting in a yard for weeks or months is tying up space needed for other work that creates revenue.
For boats with thick hulls such as cruisers, the repair is to allow it to dry, grind out the bad area, use some kind of filler, call it a marine version of bondo, and refinished. I don't know if that would be an acceptable way to repair a hull that is constantly stressed as with a bass boat. Only a reputable shop can answer that one.

Re: Mr. Goff - 07/29/17 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Curtbass
Good idea Ricky. Pat is an invaluable resource of info in these type boat issues. Very few have his length of time & understanding in the materials used in construction of some boats Champions for sure. & what worked or didn't & how to fix it if it can be fixed. I met Pat in the early 90's when he lived in Round Rock & was what we called a "Test Pilot" for ChampioN boats. They deaignes & built boats, gave one to Pat, & then when he brought it back, they would autopsy that boat/hull. If it could be broken, Pat COULD do it. If it didn't wirk right,Pat could PROVE it. Thats the WHY of who Pat Goff is. They had several Test Pilots. The improvements & design changes werent just engineering ideas. They WERE actual field test PROVEN!!!!
Pat IS the reason I ran Champions until they quit. I have a 98'Triton now and there WILL be another ChampioN in my stable one day.
I dont remember exactly what it was you bought from me but we met at Joe Pool for you to pick it up. Was it a graph mount? Cant remember.

Wow, did not know that but I did know his mechanical inclination is bar none when it comes to boats (other things too?) just by what he's diagnosed for me over this site and for others! It's incredible!

Was good hearing from you Curt! Thanks for calling!

Re: Mr. Goff - 07/31/17 01:47 AM

Yup. He's ALSO is one of those guys , that if you are around him for 8 hrs, your ribs & stomach muscles actually hurt from laughing so hard. Great guy that sees humor in almost any situation.

Re: Mr. Goff - 07/31/17 04:03 PM

Thanks for the kind words.
I'm not a smart person, but I've been fortunate to be around some smart people.
Posted By: just plain bill

Re: Mr. Goff - 08/03/17 01:42 PM

Hey pat! Dropped my boat, a 2007 century 1801, off at tracker yesterday to have em go over it from stem to stern...golf just aint agreeing with my left hip and shoulder...tired of bank fishing, altho I have been doing some wading at jones bros park and catching a few on topwaters...
After being on your scooter, been checking out chiquitas, but it's not always me by myself, so I guess ill keep the century, which is a fantastic fishing machine!

Re: Mr. Goff - 08/03/17 02:02 PM

Good to hear from you Bill...sorry about your hip.
Chiquita is a pretty cool little sled. You know the older I get, the less social I become. something to think about.
Posted By: just plain bill

Re: Mr. Goff - 08/03/17 04:43 PM

I'll let the wife know. Good idea. Lol
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum