Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone in DFW paint aluminum boats for a living?

Posted By: Darryle

Anyone in DFW paint aluminum boats for a living? - 07/18/17 07:11 PM

Does anyone in the DFW area paint aluminum boats for a living?
Posted By: Darryle

Re: Anyone in DFW paint aluminum boats for a living? - 07/22/17 06:04 PM

No one?
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Anyone in DFW paint aluminum boats for a living? - 07/22/17 09:42 PM

Any full service boat yard should be able to do it. Look for yards or shops that do bottom jobs on big boats.
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: Anyone in DFW paint aluminum boats for a living? - 07/23/17 01:01 AM

Painting aluminum is more difficult than painting fiberglass, due to bonding issues. Anyone that paints airplanes can do it, but you probably wouldn't pay what they would want.

I painted my 1959 aluminum skiff, using spray zinc chromate primer from NAPA, paint paint from Tractor Supply. I "pickled" the bare aluminum with 50/50 vinegar & water twice. Dried it, sprayed the zinc chromate, roughed it with a Scotchbrite pad, sprayed my color coat, and used a clear coat over that. Looks great, and is holding up well. Pics in this section under "My Dad's 1959 Rowboat".

Island Jim
Posted By: ringer

Re: Anyone in DFW paint aluminum boats for a living? - 07/23/17 01:07 AM

You can do it with an air assisted airless spray gun. Use the aluminum etching primer and a good 2 part urethane auto paint. I did my 1990 Alumacraft and it turned out great and the finish lasted longer than the boat.
Posted By: militarybrat

Re: Anyone in DFW paint aluminum boats for a living? - 07/25/17 09:51 PM

The biggest thing is making sure the bare aluminum is etched the proper way is to use muratic acid 3 parts water to one part acid. Then use a self etching aluminum primer. Finish should be done with either epoxypaint or my favorite Imron polyeurathane enamal. If I had a shop I would paint it for you just remember I only do quality work that will last for years that makes things a bit pricey. NO paint will stand up to rocks or steel scraping on it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum