Texas Fishing Forum

Mariner not idling

Posted By: Michael.Beaty

Mariner not idling - 07/11/17 02:25 PM

I have a 1991 mariner 175 having a hard time idling thinking it's fuel pump. Motor will start and idke as long as I give it throttle on the hot foot but is idling way to high that way 2200rpm. When I let off the gas it acts like it's starving for fuel sputters and dies. So I ran all new fuel line new bulb new spark plugs new wires and ran a compression test "115" on all cylinders stillthe same problem. Could it be the fuel pump needs to be rebuilt? Also the stator is only 1year old. Also will bog down when first trying to get on plane for a second then it runs perfect to wot
Posted By: TLW

Re: Mariner not idling - 07/11/17 04:50 PM

carb., efi?... start with mech pump rebuild.. that don't work move on ta carbs if it has 'em.. kits for both are cheap..ya haven't "adjusted" any of tha screws (linkage,stops etc.) have ya?
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Mariner not idling - 07/11/17 05:31 PM

Sounds like you might have a seat backing out or a hole in a float. Hole in float will dump too much gas flooding a cylinder and causing the exact symptoms you have. Run that thing on the hose with the airbox cover off and see if you have excess fuel dumping out the front. I have had both happen on my 1985 carbed Merc 175.

Re: Mariner not idling - 07/11/17 06:02 PM

Carved and I haven't messed with any of the setting screws

Re: Mariner not idling - 07/11/17 06:02 PM

Carbed
Posted By: TLW

Re: Mariner not idling - 07/11/17 07:21 PM

sounds more like a "loadin' up" and not starvin'.... try pump rebuild first.. may or may not be it but a '91 is due anyway.. if a "true" '91 it will have wmh carbs on it that will have accelerator pumps.. only had pumps 'bout a year and a half then tha pumps went away.. more trouble than they were worth.. that could be tha problem but hard ta say being ona computer.. most that still use 'em disable/gut tha pumps and fill in tha hole with epoxy... but that might not be tha problem.. i have (a coupla times), like stump says, also seen tha needle seats back out of tha wmh's also... other than tha pumps they are jus like any of 'em and need a goin' thru ever so often..
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Mariner not idling - 07/11/17 07:35 PM

Idel stabilizer may have gone bad or carb leaking fuel into the throat because of the float or dirty needle and seat.

Re: Mariner not idling - 07/11/17 07:56 PM

Thanks for the reply as y'all have said a carb is leaking so I will look into new float needle and seat for it
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Mariner not idling - 07/12/17 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Michael.Beaty
Thanks for the reply as y'all have said a carb is leaking so I will look into new float needle and seat for it
might as well replace 6 needles and seats
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum