Texas Fishing Forum

Rats in boat

Posted By: Stump jumper

Rats in boat - 06/12/17 05:37 PM

First time since I moved to Rockwall. I had them once when I lived in Roanoke but I made the mistake of piling some xmas trees behind the boat. Once I got rid of the trees no more rat problem. I would put poison in the boat but I did that once and a rat chewed through a livewell hose to get at a little puddle of water. I thought about putting gas in the bilge but do not want to blow myself up when I start the boat. I have cleaned out 2 nests this spring. We have plenty of rat snakes but the rats got in there during the winter. I have mothballs in 3 compartments. I may just drop a bunch of lose ones in the bilge.
Posted By: Tjbev13

Re: Rats in boat - 06/12/17 06:00 PM

I put bounce dryer sheets everywhere... None yet
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Rats in boat - 06/13/17 02:07 AM

Go to a good ranch store and get a bottle coyote urine and put a few drops of that in the bilge area. I use it to keep stray cats out of mine.
Posted By: Ranger481

Re: Rats in boat - 06/13/17 02:25 AM

Home depot sells those ultra sonic rodent deterrents that you plug in an electric socket. They work well. Kept mice out of my REVat the deer lease
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Rats in boat - 06/13/17 04:39 AM

peppermint oil. The real stuff. put several drops on a cotton ball. they wont stay there. Works for alot of critters and bugs
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Rats in boat - 06/13/17 06:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Ranger481
Home depot sells those ultra sonic rodent deterrents that you plug in an electric socket. They work well. Kept mice out of my REVat the deer lease

Those didn't seem to do much for my very old family/vacation home. I upgraded to a small pluggable device from Harbor Freight (about $40 without coupon). Critter signs were non-existent in pretty much the whole house after we got that device. It has different intensity level settings. They don't stock that item in the stores anymore, unfortunately. It has to be ordered online. I understand that cats & coons don't care for the sound either...
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Rats in boat - 06/13/17 06:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Topwater2
Go to a good ranch store and get a bottle coyote urine and put a few drops of that in the bilge area. I use it to keep stray cats out of mine.

You must be pretty desperate to intentionally put a stench like that in your boat!

Re: Rats in boat - 06/13/17 10:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
Originally Posted By: Topwater2

You must be pretty desperate to intentionally put a stench like that in your boat!
might get to that point. They have not chewed through any wires yet but neighbor had to put his UTV in shop to fix the damage they did.
Posted By: gander

Re: Rats in boat - 06/13/17 10:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Bruce's Guide Service
peppermint oil. The real stuff. put several drops on a cotton ball. they wont stay there. Works for alot of critters and bugs
This works
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Rats in boat - 06/13/17 01:01 PM

Just put a couple of Texas Rat Snakes in there and there will be no more rats or mice.

Re: Rats in boat - 06/13/17 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake
Just put a couple of Texas Rat Snakes in there and there will be no more rats or mice.
I have plenty of those around. Had a 5 footer in the garage last year. I have seen 2 smaller ones this year. The problem is in the winter when snakes are not active.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Rats in boat - 06/14/17 01:41 AM

I used a 1X3 and wrapped an old shirt around it placed it across the opening in front of my motor with the cover on. I don't put in the boat. DUH!!
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Rats in boat - 06/14/17 09:47 AM

Set snap traps
Posted By: GeoKimikaOil

Re: Rats in boat - 06/14/17 05:22 PM

Get some of those bars. They work good.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Rats in boat - 06/14/17 05:39 PM

Moth balls work well also.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Rats in boat - 06/16/17 09:30 AM

moth balls, I leave them in yr round and change out about 3 times.

just toss a bag into areas where they will stay as dry as possible.

Re: Rats in boat - 06/25/17 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: hopalong
moth balls, I leave them in yr round and change out about 3 times.

just toss a bag into areas where they will stay as dry as possible.
I had some in there. Pulled front panel and put some up there too. I have the better rat trap in there now. Wood spinning closet rod mounted in top of large bucket with a ramp to walk up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum