Texas Fishing Forum

150vmax

Posted By: Pumadon

150vmax - 02/17/16 03:33 AM

I got a buddy who is looking at 18.5 skeeter with this engine. What are the issues with this gas and usage, durability. Is it worth the money given today's market. No slams just opinions. Thanks fo input.
Posted By: BODA

Re: 150vmax - 02/17/16 01:40 PM

youve got 2 types, HPDI and carb'd, mine is carb'd and it has never done anything except what it is supposed to. I have had to mess with the remote oil tank pump (simple fix) and It takes a little work to get it started if it is cold outside. Mine has probably pissed more mud than most outboards because I treat it like a duck boat, keeps on rolling......that being said, my carb'd motor drinks gas/oil like a frat boy drinks keystone
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: 150vmax - 02/17/16 06:23 PM

Good motors. What you have to careful of is the nylon gear for the oil pump. If the motor has been overheated the gears will fail prematurely. Carbs can require some attention from time to time. On my 175 I have probably replaced 5 set of needles and seats over 30 years. There are tricks to starting them when cold. My ex never could get it. Countless times I had to jump in the boat and start. First pump the bulb until firm (part of prep in parking lot before getting to the ramp), after backing down lower the engine all the way (probably most important), Then turn key and hit the enricher a few times.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: 150vmax - 02/18/16 02:02 AM

Not sure what your talking about Stump jumper. No enrichment solenoid on Yamahas. Carb motors have butterfly chokes on each carb and injected has a module to increase flow at the injectors while motor is cold.
Posted By: wkh2006

Re: 150vmax - 02/18/16 03:18 AM

Yamaha doesn't use a nylon gear on the crankshaft to drive the oil pump its a brass gear. And there are actually 3 150's carb, hpdi, and ox66 efi. All were good engines.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: 150vmax - 02/18/16 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: gary purdy
Not sure what your talking about Stump jumper. No enrichment solenoid on Yamahas. Carb motors have butterfly chokes on each carb and injected has a module to increase flow at the injectors while motor is cold.
Sorry, I thought he was talking Mercury.
Posted By: wbr9375

Re: 150vmax - 02/19/16 04:09 AM

Have the same setup with carbureted motor and I've never had a problem. It sits up all hunting season until my spring tune up which includes a hot battery, sea foam, gas and go. It does drink the gas but I run it pretty hard, as the top end is 55-59mph. Overall, I'm 100% satisfied with performance and durability.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum