Texas Fishing Forum

Oil Clean up in Hull

Posted By: lilBr.

Oil Clean up in Hull - 02/19/15 02:13 PM

Any suggestions on what one can use to clean up oil out of the bottom of the hull. My hand slipped while pouring oil into the remote reservoir and I spilt some and it has just gotten every where in there with the hoses, batteries, etc.
Posted By: Tommy Yetts

Re: Oil Clean up in Hull - 02/19/15 02:58 PM

Any mild degreaser sprayed in it and then wash down. Afterwards put a bar of soap in the bilge with some water and run it around the lake. You will be surprised what it will do for you.
Posted By: Offshore Cowboy

Re: Oil Clean up in Hull - 02/19/15 03:09 PM

Absorb as much as possible with shop/paper towels, wash out using dawn, then if necessary use an engine degreaser and flush. You may also want to remove everything possible, ie... batteries.
Posted By: lilBr.

Re: Oil Clean up in Hull - 02/20/15 09:04 PM

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Oil Clean up in Hull - 02/23/15 01:07 AM

dawn or orange hand cleaner, I have used both and either works good.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Oil Clean up in Hull - 02/23/15 01:30 AM

A couple of gallons of water and a good shot of Dawn dish washing liquid. Then drive around for a while. Just don't go around game wardens. They may have an issue with the bilge not drained and dry.
Posted By: Team Brown Stripe

Re: Oil Clean up in Hull - 02/24/15 09:18 AM

I read somewhere a while back that leaving a bar of soap (Lava I think) in your bilge area will help keep it clean. Anyone tried this if so good or bad results and is it environmentally ok to do it?
Posted By: D Miner

Re: Oil Clean up in Hull - 02/24/15 03:47 PM

Its not good for the lake to do that. Leaving a bar of soap in the bilge is like dumping graywater into the lake. Yes it is a small amount, but why pollute the lake when you don't have to?
Posted By: Team Brown Stripe

Re: Oil Clean up in Hull - 02/25/15 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: D Miner
Its not good for the lake to do that. Leaving a bar of soap in the bilge is like dumping graywater into the lake. Yes it is a small amount, but why pollute the lake when you don't have to?

Makes sense, I'd heard about it years ago and it never seemed to catch on so I had to ask... cheer
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Oil Clean up in Hull - 02/25/15 03:02 PM

Ivory soap, heck the fish even like it. Do you have any idea how much harmful cleaners and wax`s come off of boats in the water not to say anything about 2 cycle oil residue. The soap will actually help.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum