Texas Fishing Forum

1989 Yamaha 130 v4 Flooding

Posted By: Blues

1989 Yamaha 130 v4 Flooding - 02/18/15 12:00 PM

Usually runs fine but at times it'll flood and die. Clean plugs and high idle until it burns unused gas and oil then it'll run again and run really well until the next time it floods. Gonna try cleaning carbs really well, might go ahead and kit them while I have them out, change plugs, and flush fuel system. Any other ideas?

I've thought very seriously about removing the automatic oiler and mixing my own gas. Not sure how much that oiler is pumping per gallon but it seems like a lot. Anybody ever seen a faulty oiler cause flooding issues?
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: 1989 Yamaha 130 v4 Flooding - 02/18/15 01:41 PM

That motor needs the floats & needle and seats changed to ethanol resistant ones, all of the fuel lines and the manual fuel pump diaphragms changed. Plus install a large fuel filter with water separator and drain for that on the bottom. I have seen very few problems with the oil pump on this motor. Only real problem is the plastic retainer on the arm breaking causing oil to go full rich.
Posted By: Blues

Re: 1989 Yamaha 130 v4 Flooding - 02/18/15 07:02 PM

Will a carb kit come with the ethanol resistant stuff? These carbs were rebuilt 2 years ago supposedly.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: 1989 Yamaha 130 v4 Flooding - 02/18/15 11:35 PM

Floats are separate.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum