Texas Fishing Forum

Carpet Won't Stick After Patching Weak Spot!

Posted By: rkd

Carpet Won't Stick After Patching Weak Spot! - 02/17/15 02:39 PM

Pulled back a small 1X1ft section of carpet on the step-down from front deck to repair a weak spot in fiberglass. Used Goo-gone to loosen the carpet and it pulled right up with no scraping/tearing required. Fiberglass is repaired but now I can't get the carpet to restick. I've use almost half a can of the heavy duty 3M spray glue on both sides (carpet and deck) and it's not working. And since it's the step down, it's the one area that gets used the most on the boat. What do I do??? Did soaking the carpet with Goo-gone ruin my chances of getting it to stick? The fiberglass "patch" area is very slick so I wonder if I should roughen it up with sandpaper before applying the carpet? Thanks for any recommendations!
Posted By: nax

Re: Carpet Won't Stick After Patching Weak Spot! - 02/17/15 03:25 PM

Yeah, rough up the resin with some 40 grit paper. Then wipe it down good with acetone. The resin used was probably polyester and probably had a wax in it (especially if it was general purpose resin). I would imagine that is causing the bond issue for the spray adhesive.
Posted By: rkd

Re: Carpet Won't Stick After Patching Weak Spot! - 02/17/15 08:12 PM

Thanks Nax. Very good idea. Will try the sand paper and acetone.
Posted By: stick steering

Re: Carpet Won't Stick After Patching Weak Spot! - 02/18/15 03:11 AM

Use contact cement not that spray can stuff
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Carpet Won't Stick After Patching Weak Spot! - 02/18/15 06:35 PM

You might have to let that carpet sit for a while so the goo gone all evaporates. Contact cement is not forgiving therefore I prefer carpet cement. I use the flammable kind. With contact cement when the 2 sides touch you better have it positioned where you want it.
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Carpet Won't Stick After Patching Weak Spot! - 02/18/15 06:42 PM

Outdoor carpet adhesive from home depot works well.
Posted By: Offshore Cowboy

Re: Carpet Won't Stick After Patching Weak Spot! - 02/19/15 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: rkd
Pulled back a small 1X1ft section of carpet on the step-down from front deck to repair a weak spot in fiberglass. Used Goo-gone to loosen the carpet and it pulled right up with no scraping/tearing required. Fiberglass is repaired but now I can't get the carpet to restick. I've use almost half a can of the heavy duty 3M spray glue on both sides (carpet and deck) and it's not working. And since it's the step down, it's the one area that gets used the most on the boat. What do I do??? Did soaking the carpet with Goo-gone ruin my chances of getting it to stick? The fiberglass "patch" area is very slick so I wonder if I should roughen it up with sandpaper before applying the carpet? Thanks for any recommendations!

You have a bigger issue than getting the carpet to stick, if the fiberglass resin does not cure properly, the repair will have been for nothing and you will just have future problems.
What exactly did you do for the repair and what did you use?
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Carpet Won't Stick After Patching Weak Spot! - 02/22/15 07:42 AM

You are suppose to be able to remove goo gone remnants with a mild soap and water on cloth and an all purpose cleaner on hard surfaces. I'd try the all purpose cleaner. It probably has left a greasy residue that you need to get off.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum