Texas Fishing Forum

No power to my trolling motor or electronics

Posted By: windfarm1

No power to my trolling motor or electronics - 02/12/15 03:34 PM

I bought new batteries and hooked them up but I turn on my master power switch and get no power to anything. My cranking battery still turns on the big motor but it is on a different circuit. Do you think my master power breaker switch is bad. This may help in diagnosis: when I put the cables back on the trolling motor batteries I didn't get that "spark" that usually happens when I put the last cable on.
Posted By: RangerBass21

Re: No power to my trolling motor or electronics - 02/12/15 03:46 PM

Blown fuse?
Posted By: RetiredYaker

Re: No power to my trolling motor or electronics - 02/12/15 04:10 PM

circut breaker may be tripped.

Re: No power to my trolling motor or electronics - 02/12/15 04:23 PM

I checked all my fuses and they are good. My electronics, TM, nav lights and the motor trim bow switch are all on the same circuit and I'm not getting power to any of them. As a response to Minn Kota ASC's reply- if the breaker is in the on position could it still be tripped? If so is there a reset switch/button in line between the main breaker switch and the end of the line? Since I am not seeing any sparks when I hook it up, would you suspect bad cables?

Re: No power to my trolling motor or electronics - 02/12/15 04:30 PM

Then most likely a tripped breaker, there should be a little black reset button somewhere , my last boat I had would do this if drew to much power, the trolling motor would stop and had no power, I had go back and push the reset button a

Re: No power to my trolling motor or electronics - 02/12/15 04:32 PM

From what I was taught and understood seen many arranged, you should only run your trolling motor only on trolling motor batteries and run the rest graphs and etc on cranking battery, can with stand more amps and power draw. Reason your breaker may be tripped cause it's drawing to much power from the trolling motor batteries and it's designed to trip to keep from frying your electronics and equipment, correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: No power to my trolling motor or electronics - 02/12/15 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: RangerBass21
From what I was taught and understood seen many arranged, you should only run your trolling motor only on trolling motor batteries and run the rest graphs and etc on cranking battery, can with stand more amps and power draw. Reason your breaker may be tripped cause it's drawing to much power from the trolling motor batteries and it's designed to trip to keep from frying your electronics and equipment, correct me if I'm wrong.

exactly. the inline breaker will be a little square box on the battery cable most likely. it may be wrapped in heat shrink. on one end there should be a little button sticking out. if it doesnt have the button, it is a self resetting breaker, and may be bad.
Posted By: fordnut

Re: No power to my trolling motor or electronics - 02/12/15 06:43 PM

Look for a breaker that is dedicated to each battery.

Re: No power to my trolling motor or electronics - 02/12/15 07:49 PM

look for a breaker like this in line, a few inches from the battery.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: No power to my trolling motor or electronics - 02/13/15 12:28 AM

put a voltmeter from the hot side of the breaker and check for voltage, then do the other side, do both breakers and see if they are the same.

are you sure you still have 24 volts at the tm, got good ground on the new batteries, are any wires seperated due to corrosion? check all this and let us know

Re: No power to my trolling motor or electronics - 02/14/15 09:15 PM

It was a bad breaker switch. Thanks for the advice fellas!

Re: No power to my trolling motor or electronics - 02/14/15 09:52 PM

glad to help!
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: No power to my trolling motor or electronics - 02/14/15 10:20 PM

This would be good time to install a resettable breaker such as the Blue Sea. Those little plastic resettable breakers are about the worst thing you can buy.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum