Texas Fishing Forum

First Boat

Posted By: sportsman3535

First Boat - 04/30/03 02:34 AM

I am looking to buy a very small boat. I think something along the lines of a bass buster type would be be good. I have not ruled out a small John boat or even possibly a canoe. Whatever I get will have a small trolling motor put on it. My main question is this, I know I have to register any boat with a motor, but how much will that cost? If I have a trailer how much more? Also, anyone owning a small craft like the ones I mentioned, would u go the John boat, or bass buster route? Anyone in favor of canoes? Thanks to anyone willing to help out a newbie to the boating world.

------------------
Tight lines

Posted By: phone man

Re: First Boat - 04/30/03 02:54 AM

Registration depends on the length. I just reigistered and titled a 16 foot canoe and it cost me 55.00, 40 for the registration and 15 to title it. I don't know if you prefer to stand up and cast or not, but it takes real skill to do that in a canoe. A bassbuster seems a little more stable. I would also take into account your vehicle. A bassbuster fits fine in the bed of a truck. My wife won't let me touch her Suburban, so I have to haul my canoe on top of a Honda Civic. Trailers will probably run 50.00- 60.00 to register. I think trailer tags are good for one year, while a boat is good for 2. I've fished out of a bassbuster and a canoe and prefer the canoe so I can tote my kids with me. For comfort I would go with a bassbuster.

Re: First Boat - 04/30/03 03:09 AM

Thanks for the reply. Do you have a motor on your canoe?

------------------
Tight lines

Posted By: phone man

Re: First Boat - 04/30/03 11:46 AM

Yeah, its an old Minn Kota 30lb thrust trolling motor.
Posted By: shawn

Re: First Boat - 04/30/03 12:14 PM

I have a canoe and a fiberglass boat and I have fished several times out of a jon boat. If I were doing it all over and I had a limited budget I would probably go with a jon boat. You can get really shallow with a jon boat so you can go in rivers. Its harder to destroy so you can take it more places. You can still get in moderately open water on less windy days and you can get them pretty cheap. They are lighter so you can get away with a smaller motor too....

------------------

Posted By: TXSportFisherman

Re: First Boat - 04/30/03 12:19 PM

Hi fellow Austinite, Check out the classified on TFF. Theres an 8' Bass Buster in Houston ready to go for $400( if he hasn't sold it already). I got one and use it in Town Lake/Lake Austin/Reimers/Blanco/upstream Travis/Perdenales/SanGabriel/etc. Perfect for this area!

Re: First Boat - 05/01/03 02:40 AM

Thanks to all for the replies. I am still not decided on what to do, all options seem like good ones.

TXsportfisherman,

I'm glad to meet someone else that fishes the austin area. I love to fish the San Gabriel and Reimers. I am also interested in fishing the Blanco, but have never been, although I hear it's great. Good luck and tight lines.

------------------
Tight lines

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum