Texas Fishing Forum

Electrical issue

Posted By: yellowranger04

Electrical issue - 05/25/14 04:29 PM

I need help diagnosing an electrical issue. I have a 2004 Ranger 185 vx boat that has some kind of electrical issue with the ignition. My last three trips to the lake when I go to leave any spot that I have fished the ignition system will shut down as soon as I hit the start button. Sometimes I simply reach in the back compartment and reset the 30 amp breaker and everything will run smoothly until leaving the next spot. Other times I have to disconnect the keypad and connect the key switch I have recently purchased. I went fishing for the first time yesterday since purchasing a new keypad and the same issue occurred. When I put my head under the console to attach the key switch there was an odor similar to a light ballast going bad on a fluorescent light. When I was in the boat dealership ordering the keypad they advised that some of these boats required you to change the "jack box"(not sure of terminology) but it was not necessary for mine. Any advise greatly appreciated.
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: Electrical issue - 05/25/14 06:16 PM

Not shure about the smell but I have seen that breaker cause a lot of problems. Had one early this year that would show 12.5 going in and 11.0 coming out.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum